Speculation: How much do we regress, if at all?

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
100% agree. And knowing this about Benning (which is blatantly obvious) tells us what about our ownership? Either he’s part of the “Jethro intellectual club”, or no one better than Benning/Brod will work for him. My God! Our owner allowed Benning to force out Gilman and Bracket, who were two (actually) competent people. What was he thinking?
Benning forced out Gilman?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
When I started this thread I had serious concerns the losses of our all star and team MVP goalie - Marky, our top right shot D - Tanev, and our top line right wing - Tofu would take a lot out of us. Clearly it has, and this regression is all on Benning, and he should absolutely be replaced. I’ve not been a fan of Green’s systems from day one, but he has been restricted in what he can do by his GM. Green will (likely) be sent packing too.
They finally paid for those bad contracts this season. Never needed to hand out the ones to Eriksson, Sven, Ferland, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel
I can understand the Sutter one, but man the guy who missed less than 10 games before arriving through 6 NHL seasons can't stay healthy here.
Myers, I can even understand that given Tanev's injury history.

But the others above, there was no reason for their deals. Eriksson, benefit in the short term with twins was never going to offset the pain later on when the twins retired. Sven, they had time on their side via arbitration and thus never had to give him term. Ferland, injury history was glaring and if he could not be insured, that should be red flag to limit term to 2 years. Beagle, too much term for him. Better to have paid him $3.5-$3.7 for 3 years and be rid of the contract, same with Roussel. Schaller became redundant given that they signed the other 2 guys already.

Not signing Sven through a UFA year and moving Jake for a pick allows them to sign one of Tanev/TT. $2.2 mill for Sven (since he's on the taxi), and $2.55 for jake gives them $4.7 mill.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Overreaction by all. Vancouver is a great young team that played against a much-improved Habs team using a depleted defense.

Montreal defeated Edmonton, and the same end-of-the-world comments were heard.

Canucks and the Oilers are good teams that will get better over the year, and they still have chances to be the one team coming out of the division during the playoffs.

Season is young, and although Montreal is very strong this year, they have weaknesses. Also, injuries could be a great equalizer.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Do you actually, honestly, think that Trevor Linden would just be up and firing an AGM who the GM worked well with and wanted to keep? Really?
Why are asking me?...The man himself said he wanted to trim down the management and it was completely his decision.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Do you actually, honestly, think that Trevor Linden would just be up and firing an AGM who the GM worked well with and wanted to keep? Really?
Of course Benning wanted him gone. He was Gillis' right hand man.

Heck Gillman was great but i probably would have fired him in the same situation.

Difference is i wouldn't be arrogant enough to think i could do his job and would have hired a Paul Depodesta like capologist and analytics guy to work with me

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Overreaction by all. Vancouver is a great young team that played against a much-improved Habs team using a depleted defense.

Montreal defeated Edmonton, and the same end-of-the-world comments were heard.

Canucks and the Oilers are good teams that will get better over the year, and they still have chances to be the one team coming out of the division during the playoffs.

Season is young, and although Montreal is very strong this year, they have weaknesses. Also, injuries could be a great equalizer.
Yes,..its that time of year again.
giphy-1.gif

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Yes,..its that time of year again.
View attachment 387831

Benning's chickens coming home to roost was predictably sad for sure. Maybe not for you though, given the great lengths you've gone to in order to defend and excuse all of his bad decisions. This team is the team you deserve for supporting and enabling such incompetence, lol.

In terms of the thread question, it's starting to look something like:
lowering-graph-red-arrow-260nw-314204192.jpg

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Benning's chickens coming home to roost was predictably sad for sure. Maybe not for you though, given the great lengths you've gone to in order to defend and excuse all of his bad decisions. This team is the team you deserve for supporting and enabling such incompetence, lol.

In terms of the thread question, it's starting to look something like:
lowering-graph-red-arrow-260nw-314204192.jpg
No kidding. This truly is the hfbenning Canucks, and nobody deserves what we are seeing more than him/her.

I hope they enjoy the culmination of Benning’s genius moves.

Last edited:

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
lol

the canucks have allowed 33 goals against.

the next team, 23.

where's all my schmidt / hamonic >> tanev / stetcher folks at??

also, this team needs defensively able forwards. the idea sutter is a shut down guy is wrong and our bottom six is a clown car of guys who just aren't that good at hockey, let alone the defensive side.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
No kidding. This truly is the hfbenning Canucks, and nobody deserves what we are seeing more than @Pastor Of Muppetz

I hope the good pastor is enjoying the culmination of Benning’s genius moves.

But if you interpret every situation and decision as favourable as possible for Benning, and that it's always someone elses' fault (Gillis, Linden, etc.), then this really isn't an issue relating to Benning. Also of course we need to depart from all normal and ordinary definitions of words like autonomy, shocking reboot, etc. and instead assume they were meant in an entirely different context. This is the way of HF Benning.

Reactions: vanuck

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
They finally paid for those bad contracts this season. Never needed to hand out the ones to Eriksson, Sven, Ferland, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel
I can understand the Sutter one, but man the guy who missed less than 10 games before arriving through 6 NHL seasons can't stay healthy here.
Myers, I can even understand that given Tanev's injury history.

But the others above, there was no reason for their deals. Eriksson, benefit in the short term with twins was never going to offset the pain later on when the twins retired. Sven, they had time on their side via arbitration and thus never had to give him term. Ferland, injury history was glaring and if he could not be insured, that should be red flag to limit term to 2 years. Beagle, too much term for him. Better to have paid him $3.5-$3.7 for 3 years and be rid of the contract, same with Roussel. Schaller became redundant given that they signed the other 2 guys already.

Not signing Sven through a UFA year and moving Jake for a pick allows them to sign one of Tanev/TT. $2.2 mill for Sven (since he's on the taxi), and $2.55 for jake gives them $4.7 mill.
I'd argue that Sutter and Beagle were the two most unforgivable contracts he signed. Sutter was paid for too much and too long, after having the opportunity to show he was more than a 3rd line center.

Beagle would have been bad regardless, but was horrid on a team already anchored by Sutter.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
I'd argue that Sutter and Beagle were the two most unforgivable contracts he signed. Sutter was paid for too much and too long, after having the opportunity to show he was more than a 3rd line center.

Beagle would have been bad regardless, but was horrid on a team already anchored by Sutter.
The insane thing is, this franchise doesn't even see Sutter as a detriment. They still see him as a valuable piece of this roster. How many other players would be healthy scratched before Sutter was benched?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The insane thing is, this franchise doesn't even see Sutter as a detriment. They still see him as a valuable piece of this roster. How many other players would be healthy scratched before Sutter was benched?
Having Sutter basically cost us Tofu, who cost us Madden and s second. It’s insane just how badly Benning plans out his team. This is exactly the type of mismanagement that happens when a guy (who actually cares an plan ahead) like Gilman is forced out. Benning even gets more control to make horrible choices that go unchallenged.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I think there was a point 2 seasons back when there were actually offers for value for Sutter, so it's not like Benning didn't have the opportunity to get himself out of that one.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's clear enough to read through the lines of having Gilman put together a comprehensive powerpoint on why its a bad idea to sign Sbisa only to have them....sign Sbisa to an egregious deal and know that Benning didn't want anyone from the old regime to get in his way because he clearly knew how to build a stanley cup team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad