Salary Cap: How Much Do The RFAs Get?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
This summer is a pretty big year for the Red Wings' restricted Free Agents. I'm having a hard time getting the right figures for each player and I would like your opinions on the subject. Here's my take.

RFAYEARSCAP HIT
Athanasiou, Andreas2$2,750,000
Bertuzzi, Tyler2$1,125,000
Frk, Martin2$1,125,000
Larkin, Dylan4$5,800,000
Mantha, Anthony4$4,500,000
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Am I far off or is it a realistic outlook for theses RFAs?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
4 years would take Mantha right to UFA, so I doubt that happens.

Good call, so 3 years would be the norm, I guess I could use James van Riemsdyk's contract with the Flyers (6 years / 4.25M AAV) or Evander Kane's deal with the Jets (6 years / 5.25M AAV) also to justify a 6 year deal, right? Or would that be the next deal Mantha would get after this one?

Last edited:

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Larks, 5.5M (6 years)
Mantha, 4.5M (3 years)
AA, 2.5M (2 years)
Tuzzi, 1.25M (3 years)
Frk, 1.0M (2 years)

Shave a million off of Larkin if we can.
Frk can easily be replaced and I don't care if he goes or stays.
Bert is still a question mark for me as well.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
With Larkin, max term or close to it just makes the most sense IMO.

Option A - Give him a 8 year deal at 22 years old, and you are buying 5 RFA/3UFA years, and then negotiating him with as an UFA at 30 years old. RFA years are cheaper than UFA years.

Option B - Give him a bridge deal (3 year deal), then you are negotiating with him at 25 years old, for a deal that is now going to include mostly UFA years and is now more expensive.

Option C - Give him a 5-6 year deal, and you are either taking him right to UFA or only buying 1 year of UFA and then negotiating with a 28 year old UFA.

To me, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially since Larkin is a hard worker and I don't see him getting complacent with a long term deal.

Reactions: Pavels Dog

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
With Larkin, max term or close to it just makes the most sense IMO.

Option A - Give him a 8 year deal at 22 years old, and you are buying 5 RFA/3UFA years, and then negotiating him with as an UFA at 30 years old. RFA years are cheaper than UFA years.

Option B - Give him a bridge deal (3 year deal), then you are negotiating with him at 25 years old, for a deal that is now going to include mostly UFA years and is now more expensive.

Option C - Give him a 5-6 year deal, and you are either taking him right to UFA or only buying 1 year of UFA and then negotiating with a 28 year old UFA.

To me, it's kind of a no-brainer. Especially since Larkin is a hard worker and I don't see him getting complacent with a long term deal.

I don't think he accepts max term anymore, because he knows he can do better on later years.

Organization of course would want the max, but player probably not.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think he accepts max term anymore, because he knows he can do better on later years.

I don't know, a few guys have signed 8 year deals recently: Scheifele, Eichel, McDavid. Larkin might not be at the same level, but it seems like teams are doing it with their young centers.

Last edited:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
8 years $52 million for Dylan Larkin, 6 years $30 million for Anthony Mantha, 2 years $5 million for Andreas Athanasiou, 2 years $2.5 million for Martin Frk and 2 years $2 million for Tyler Bertuzzi.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I don't feel comfortable with signing anyone for 4+ years other than Larkin, unless its a cheap contract

For Larkin i'd like to see an 8 year deal at 5-5.5m. He's too driven to stop trying once he secures a long term contract. The only way his play will regress is due to age, and this will take him right up to around the critical age of 30 where we can revaluate him and give him an appropriate followup contract.

Getting a great 2C locked up long term on a team friendly cap hit would be good. Ideally he wouldnt be our 1C.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Frk gets 950k-1M. Whatever the fully buriable amount is.
Bertuzzi too.

AA gets 2,5 mil tops on a bridge deal or he's traded.

Larkin gets 4M per on a 2 year bridge or up to 5.5/6 if he goes long term. He doesn't deserve Schiefele's deal (but given cap rising, I'd go to it 8x6.125) but no higher.

Mantha should get 3.5-4M per on a 2yr bridge. If I risk him blowing up and me needing to give him a big deal in two years, so be it. I'll take my chances on a slightly older Mantha being more mature so I can count on him not slagging off when I give him that kind of money.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Athanasiou if signed should get 2.75-3 him as with all players will be dependent on how much the cap rises this year. Bertuzzi and Frk will get 1.15-1.25 I figure. Mantha getting his 2nd deal will probably be on a 3 yr 2.5-2.75 range, and Larkin wouldn't surprise me to get a 7 year (mainly due to his age) 5.5-6.5 per year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Honestly, if I'm any of our good players, I look at the contracts Nielsen and Abdelkader got and think, I deserve more than this.
And then end up in the awkward situation where your parents, agent, and GM have to explain to you the difference between RFA and UFA.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

I think it was Dotter who did a run down over possible contract numbers over the next 8 or 10 years for Larkin depending on if he took either a couple of shorter deals or one longer one, and the end amount wasn't that far off. Also, I think hockey players just value stability more than the possibility of a slightly larger long term payout. That's just an impression I get, though.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Everyone's getting 2 year deals except Larkin.

and thats how it should be. With larkin, you know hes going to improve further and is a hard worker each and every game. Mantha is as inconsistent as anyone, and with AA you don't even know what kind of player he can be...to many question marks, and those guys are 2 years older than larkin

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
And then end up in the awkward situation where your parents, agent, and GM have to explain to you the difference between RFA and UFA.

For our two good RFA, I honestly believe the difference between RFA and UFA years doesn't mean that much right now.. especially for Larkin.

At this point I think you still give them both short term deals 2-3 years for decent money. The only reason I want give Larkin a short term deal is to see if he can overcome his 2nd half fade issue and regain his shot. Mantha I still question rather he overcomes his laziness and if I want that laziness on the team long term.

All the other jabornies RFA and UFA has more impact to their contract.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
RFA and UFA years are always different. In every scenario.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
RFA and UFA years are always different. In every scenario.
I disagree with that statement. For elite players, they gonna get paid just like McDavid and Eichel... Matthews will join them soon. If Larkin didn't have such a shit shot this year, and improved on his goal scoring output, he would be getting paid this offseason and with term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I disagree with that statement. For elite players, they gonna get paid just like McDavid and Eichel... Matthews will join them soon. If Larkin didn't have such a **** shot this year, and improved on his goal scoring output, he would be getting paid this offseason and with term.

Yeah but RFA years are always cheaper than UFA years. Like always.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad