How much demerits is a first round knock out worth against a GM ?

LolClarkson*

Lets say missing the playoffs equals 2 demerits. With that in mind, I would say a first round knock out equals 1.5 demerits. Which means getting knocked out in the first round twice in a row is worse then missing the playoffs once. You get a better draft placement for missing the playoffs. You don't get a better one for getting a KO in the first round.

Or is a first round KO only worth 1 demerit ?

Aquilini was quick to say that missing the playoffs too many times was unacceptable and that is why he canned Dave Nonis. So how much slack does Mike Gillis get if he gets KO'd in the first round too many times ?

images

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Lets say missing the playoffs equals 2 demerits. With that in mind, I would say a first round knock out equals 1.5 demerits. Which means getting knocked out in the first round twice in a row is worse then missing the playoffs once. You get a better draft placement for missing the playoffs. You don't get a better one for getting a KO in the first round.

Or is a first round KO only worth 1 demerit ?

Aquilini was quick to say that missing the playoffs too many times was unacceptable and that is why he canned Dave Nonis. So how much slack does Mike Gillis get if he gets KO'd in the first round too many times ?

images

I think if we're bounced in the first round (or even the second round) this year that AV is fired. If it happens again next year MG finds himself unemployed.

BlackAces

Play Your Game
Dec 31, 2007
I think if we're bounced in the first round (or even the second round) this year that AV is fired. If it happens again next year MG finds himself unemployed.

Agreed. Although wouldn't be shocked if Gillis is gone if Aquaman thinks he has someone who can take over.

BoHorvatFan

Dec 13, 2009
Vancouver
When you start with all the assets Gillis did and make it to the second round twice in a row then the finals and then lose in the first round twice in a row it shows he's going backwards.

When our winger depth is:

Daniel

Burrows... a second liner

Higgins, Raymond, Hansen... should all be third liners on a cup contender

And you cant score year after year in the playoffs and don't upgrade the wing you probably deserve to have your job evaluated very closely.

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
gillis hasn't fired a coach yet, he'll still have this card to play in the offseason if the sharks make a mockery of this series

if we're all sitting here a year from today debating the same talking points leading up to a 4th straight playoff series loss despite holding home ice advantage in every series then i'd see aquilini deeming that not acceptable from a management perspective

King of the ES*

The entire context of the situation needs to be looked at. Gillis' problem is that he's shown a high capacity to make critical errors that have far-reaching negative consequences on the franchise.

The Ballard trade (which doubly led to us having to let go of Ehrhoff), the Hodgson trade, and how this goaltending fiasco has been handled, specifically. These three moves/non-moves are going to haunt us for a long, long time, and these are the types of mistakes that our previous two GMs simply did not do.

Last night was a flat-out embarrassment. Getting eliminated by the Sharks, who I personally rank as the worst playoff team in the NHL, should rank up there with this franchise's biggest travesties. AV would obviously be fired, probably not Gillis, though, even though he is clearly the one more responsible for this team failing to improve/win a Cup.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Last night was a flat-out embarrassment. Getting eliminated by the Sharks, who I personally rank as the worst playoff team in the NHL, should rank up there with this franchise's biggest travesties. AV would obviously be fired, probably not Gillis, though, even though he is clearly the one more responsible for this team failing to improve/win a Cup.

Holy overreaction, batman.

And you think the Sharks are worse than the Leafs, Senators, Islanders, and Wild? Ohhhh-kay. :laugh:

King of the ES*

And you think the Sharks are worse than the Leafs, Senators, Islanders, and Wild? Ohhhh-kay. :laugh:

I do, yes. The Leafs and the Islanders are IMO two of the most underrated teams in the playoffs.

8 of San Jose's victories came in shootouts, which is basically a coin flip. They also were horrible on the road all year. They're just not that good, and then they went and gave away Ryane Clowe and Doug Murray.

If Vancouver can't get past these guys...

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
I do, yes. The Leafs and the Islanders are IMO two of the most underrated teams in the playoffs.

8 of San Jose's victories came in shootouts, which is basically a coin flip. They also were horrible on the road all year. They're just not that good, and then they went and gave away Ryane Clowe and Doug Murray.

San Jose is a very good team. I'm more afraid of them than the Kings or Blues. They're very hot and cold, but they have the potential to be one of, if not the, best team in the league when firing on all cylinders.

LolClarkson*

Weren't the sharks seller at the deadline?

Not really. They became faster.

For 3 years, the Canucks have at least lost against the eventual cup winners. Even Nonis's last playoff year, he lost to the champion Ducks.

I don't think the Sharks are good enough to win the cup so it would be the first time in 5 years that we lost to a non cup winner, if we don't beat them.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

Good grief. The Islanders and Leafs are terrible, and neither one would likely make the playoffs in an 82 game season. Gross overreaction to one close game getting away from the Canucks.

Lots of issues with how they played, but this is silly.

King of the ES*

San Jose is a very good team. I'm more afraid of them than the Kings or Blues. They're very hot and cold, but they have the potential to be one of, if not the, best team in the league when firing on all cylinders.

Sorry, that's ridiculous. SJ is older, slower, and softer than either of those two teams. Like Gallagher said, watching G1 of LA/STL was like watching an episode of Spartacus. Those teams are younger, hungrier, and way harder to play against.

SJ is the perfect matchup for the Canucks, and it would be a real shame to squander it.

King of the ES*

Good grief. The Islanders and Leafs are terrible, and neither one would likely make the playoffs in an 82 game season. Gross overreaction to one close game getting away from the Canucks.

I look at how a team performs on the road as a key barometer of strength. Both the Islanders and the Leafs passed that test this year. I really don't see any reason to assume that an 82-game season would yield a different playoff picture than what we currently see.

LolClarkson*

Matt Moulson, John Taveres, Mark Strait, not a bad team.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
I look at how a team performs on the road as a key barometer of strength. Both the Islanders and the Leafs passed that test this year. I really don't see any reason to assume that an 82-game season would yield a different playoff picture than what we currently see.

LOL Really?

The Leafs were outshot constantly, had above average goaltending & had an unsustainable shooting %.
They made the playoffs because the season ended before they came back down to earth.
They were a solid playoff team after 48 games last year too, but couldn't maintain it.
That was a team heading towards an inevitable meltdown.

King of the ES*

LOL Really?

The Leafs were outshot constantly, had above average goaltending & had an unsustainable shooting %.
They made the playoffs because the season ended before they came back down to earth.
They were a solid playoff team after 48 games last year too, but couldn't maintain it.

That was a team heading towards an inevitable meltdown.

Shots/shooting percentage could be interpreted as either a sign of strength or weakness. What percent of shooting% can really be attributed to luck? Unanswerable questions in isolation - games need to be watched. And when I watched the Leafs, I often a saw a team that worked very hard, was tough to play against, and had a good mix of skill and grit. My only concern with them is their youth, but I did pick them to beat the Bruins in 7.

BTW, Leafs only had Lupul for 1/3 of the season this year. Check out his numbers. He's pretty good.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Shots/shooting percentage could be interpreted as either a sign of strength or weakness. What percent of shooting% can really be attributed to luck? Unanswerable questions in isolation - games need to be watched. And when I watched the Leafs, I often a saw a team that worked very hard, was tough to play against, and had a good mix of skill and grit. My only concern with them is their youth, but I did pick them to beat the Bruins in 7.

BTW, Leafs only had Lupul for 1/3 of the season this year. Check out his numbers. He's pretty good.

Quite answerable questions, actually. Easily answerable. Eminently answerable. Answerably answerable!

arsmaster*

Sharks are so bad they were one win worse than us.

:shakehead:

Talk about overrating our own team and underrating everyone else.

Just because we think they are an easier match up doesn't mean they are bad.

We have to play well to beat anybody. This isn't 2011. We can't sneak past anyone playing 2 periods anymore. He have to play well.

When the Canucks play well they can beat anyone. They just don't play we'll consistently.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
who knows.. it seems Gillis is allowed to make excuses, or is just really good at justifying them. Better than Nonis atleast.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
AV is on the hot seat if we don't make it to at least the Conference Finals.

I think Gillis is safe for this year, it'll be next year that decides his fate ultimately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad