how much better was 03's top 10 compaired to this years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
in last years draft (03), these players were taken in the top 10:
1. MA Fleury
2. Eric Staal
3. Nathan Horton
4. Nikolai Zherdev
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Milan Michalek
7. Ryan Suter
8. Braydon Coburn
9. Dion Phaneuf
10. Andrei Kastsitsyn

Potential names to go top 10 in the 04 draft:
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Barker
4. Olesz
5. Tukonen
6. Shremp
7. Thelen
8. Ladd
9. Wolski
10. Schwarz

i'm sure there are others who might move up or down, but those are some of the best names available for this coming year...

who can tell me how good or bad some of these guys compare to guys last year..... maybe examples about how close or far away guys like barker/thelen compare to the top dmen taken last year (suter/coburn/phaneuf), or fwds like zherdev/vanek against this years players (maybe olesz/tukonen)

any help from semi-experts would be appreciated :bow:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Ovechkin and Malkin are the two best players out of these 20 IMO. However, after that the 2003s outclass the 2004s significantly. I think guys like Michalek, Suter, and Phaneuf could be #3 overall picks in this year's draft.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Ovechkin and Malkin are the two best players out of these 20 IMO. However, after that the 2003s outclass the 2004s significantly. I think guys like Michalek, Suter, and Phaneuf could be #3 overall picks in this year's draft.

I agree, also i think Radulov could be a top 10 draftee come draft time

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
#2 said:
I agree, also i think Radulov could be a top 10 draftee come draft time

he's getting a lot of build up.....

what i'm looking to find out is who would u rank where on last years draft scale..... would u call olesz a 4/5 overall pick in last years draft? or would be fall below michalek and above kastistsyn?.....

another effective method might be to rank the fwds, dmen and goalies in separate categories using the 2 draft years... for example, put fleury with schwarz and montoya, then thelen, barker, green, o'neill with suter, coburn and phaneuf, and fwds like zherdev, vanek, staal, horton, michalek with ovechkin, malkin, olesz, tukonen, radulov, shremp, ladd etc....

i dont know a whole lot about this years draft, though its early and i'm sure i'll learn more, but info now would be helpful

:handclap:

Last edited:

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Well since hype will overrule everything I don't think this years top 10 can even compare to last years. Although the first two are nice this year you could even make a debate weither 1 - 10 this year is as strong as 11 - 20 last year.

FINNtastic

Apr 24, 2004
IMO the two years combined... (including all the hype, build up etc. ;) )

1. Ovechkin
2. Zherdev
3. Malkin
4. Phaneuf
5. Fleury
6. Vanek
7. Olesz
8. Staal
9. Michalek
10. Horton

11. Tukonen
12. Suter
13. Barker
14. Schremp
15. Coburn
16. Kastsitsyn
17. Ladd
18. Wolski
19. Schwartz
20. Thelen

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Kostsitsyn is way better then 16th.

The only reason he was drafted 10th overall because people thought he had epilepsy and the Montreal doctors said no he doesn't. According to Trevor Timmins, he was the "most ready" nhl prospect and he was a top 3 talent.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Komisarek8 said:

The only reason he was drafted 10th overall because people thought he had epilepsy and the Montreal doctors said no he doesn't. According to Trevor Timmins, he was the "most ready" nhl prospect and he was a top 3 talent.

I'd put him between Fleury and Vanek.

May 1, 2003
Visit site
1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Nikolai Zherdev
3. Evgenii Malkin
4. M.A Fleury
5. Dion Phaneuf
6. Eric Staal
7. Thomas Vanek
8. Nathan Horton
9. Rostislov Olesz
10. Cam Barker
11. Robbie Schremp
12. Ryan Suter
13. Braydon Coburn
14. Andrei Kastitsyn
15. Milan Michalek
16. Andrew Ladd
17. Lauri Tukonen
18. Alexander Radulov
19. Wojtek Wolski
20. A.J Thelen

X-SHARKIE

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Marc-Andre Fleury
3. Eric Staal
4. Nikolai Zherdev
5. Evgeni Malkin (to much hype :)
6. Nathan Horton (underated)
7. Milan Michalek
8. Dion Phaneuf
9. Cam Barker
10. Thomas Vanek
11. Andrew Ladd
12. Ryan Suter
13. Lauri Tukonen
14. Robby Schremp
15. Rostislav Olesz
16. Braydon Coburn
17. A.J. Thelen
18. Andrei Kastitsyn
19. Alexander Radulov
20. Wojtek Wolski
I wish I couldve put Ryan Getzlaf in there, and Zach Parise.

db23

The Suter/Thelen rankings are completely out to lunch. Check the thread I started on this.

Both were NCAA freshmen last year. Thelen is over a year younger, much bigger and had a better year than Suter.

A.J. was named second team All american as a 17 year old freshman. That is virtually unheard of. Suter never even got a single vote for the West All America team.

Not even Doug Risebrough would take Suter over Thelen.

db23

Kosticyn doesn't even deserve to make the list. He totally sucked in the RSL this year. At least a dozen Russian players taken after him in the draft were more productive in the RSL. Including a couple of defencemen. At the U20 B Pool, both of his Belarussian linemates outscored him. Including Zakharov who couldn't manage a point a game in the QMJHL. Kosticyn is going to be a bust on the order of Pavel Brendl at least. Or the last great "sleeper" that Redline was hyping Lars Jonsson. If Redline identifies a sleeper, you can bet the guy will still be "sleeping" 5 or 10 years down the road.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
db23 said:
Kosticyn doesn't even deserve to make the list. He totally sucked in the RSL this year. At least a dozen Russian players taken after him in the draft were more productive in the RSL. Including a couple of defencemen. At the U20 B Pool, both of his Belarussian linemates outscored him. Including Zakharov who couldn't manage a point a game in the QMJHL. Kosticyn is going to be a bust on the order of Pavel Brendl at least. Or the last great "sleeper" that Redline was hyping Lars Jonsson. If Redline identifies a sleeper, you can bet the guy will still be "sleeping" 5 or 10 years down the road.

What the heck, how can you say he "totally sucked" Kostitsyn played on the checking line, thats like putting someone not quite as talented as Kovalchuk on the 3rd line and saying "Don't score! play Defense!"

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Komisarek8 said:

How so? He hasn't improved that much since his draft year. Play wise and numbers wise.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
He is a great talent, he is not getting the ice time he needs in Russia because they don't play youngsters. Hopefully Gainey signs him this summer and brings him over to NA. He is a talented player. He was playing on the same line with Nikolai Zherdev earlier in the year.

Kostsitsyn=Kovalev with better work ethic

Kostsitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev
:banana:

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
fedorov_jr said:
in last years draft (03), these players were taken in the top 10:
1. MA Fleury
2. Eric Staal
3. Nathan Horton
4. Nikolai Zherdev
5. Thomas Vanek
6. Milan Michalek
7. Ryan Suter
8. Braydon Coburn
9. Dion Phaneuf
10. Andrei Kastsitsyn

Potential names to go top 10 in the 04 draft:
1. Ovechkin
2. Malkin
3. Barker
4. Olesz
5. Tukonen
6. Shremp
7. Thelen
8. Ladd
9. Wolski
10. Schwarz

i'm sure there are others who might move up or down, but those are some of the best names available for this coming year...

who can tell me how good or bad some of these guys compare to guys last year..... maybe examples about how close or far away guys like barker/thelen compare to the top dmen taken last year (suter/coburn/phaneuf), or fwds like zherdev/vanek against this years players (maybe olesz/tukonen)

any help from semi-experts would be appreciated :bow:

Aside from Alexander Ovechkin, nobody in the 2004 Draft stacks up to any of the top 3 forwards taken in 2003 most likely (Staal, Horton, Zherdev), Marc-Andre Fleury blows out any goaltender in the 2004 draft by a long margin, and Suter, Coburn, and Phaneuf are all probobly better than Cam Barker.

Basically, Ovechkin would have gone #1 in either draft, but aside from that, things fall way, way down.

Of your list there, only Malkin would be a sure bet to go top 10.

db23

Komisarek8 said:
He is a great talent, he is not getting the ice time he needs in Russia because they don't play youngsters. Hopefully Gainey signs him this summer and brings him over to NA. He is a talented player. He was playing on the same line with Nikolai Zherdev earlier in the year.

Kostsitsyn=Kovalev with better work ethic

Kostsitsyn-Koivu-Kovalev
:banana:

How do you account for all of the other players the same age as Kostitsyn that played regularly in the RSL last season? Including 3 or 4 guys on the same team as Kostitsyn. Look around before you make a statement, or you just end up sounding ridiculous.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
monster_bertuzzi said:
1-Ovechkin
2-Fleury
3-Zherdev
4-Staal
5-Malkin
6-Horton
7-Vanek
8-Phaneuf
9-Michalek
10-Suter

I like this one, but I would swap Malkin and Staal IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad