How many years has Sidney Crosby been the best player?

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
When I think about this, I think, how many times would I have picked him as my captain for one season.

I would have picked him every year, excluding his rookie year, up until this season.

I personally strive for winning, some people believe this is a team game. If you watch the penguins play, you know that Crosby can will his team to victory, to me, that is what made him the best.

McDavid is definitely more skilled, no question, and maybe some of these young guys are too. But Crosby still has that will to win and is the reason most people believe the Penguins will make the playoffs and be a tough out in the playoffs.

He is the best leader in my opinion and the best at adapting his game to fit the needs of his team.

It is impressive to watch him grow, even when he is being considered old by today's NHL.
“Will to win?” That kind of nonesense is so ridiculous and just tiring to hear.

Crosby’s “will” consist of a team with the likes of Malkin, Kessel, Murray, Letang, Guenztel, and other solid players. That’s why his team wins. Crosby has never carried or “willed” anyone or anything to a cup or championship. That doesn’t mean his contribution should be ignored, but it’s still a TEAM game, not a game of who has the most will power. Winning is a lot easier with more talent around you. Did Crosby suddenly not have enough Will power for the Pens from 2010-2015? Or did he just not have a good enough team around Him? The answer is simple.

You can put all your cards into something as subjective and phantom like as “Will power”, but in the end Crosby has 3 cups partly due to having another player with as much skill and Will power in Malkin, add another key piece of “Will power” and skill in Kessel.....who does McDavid have?

You wanna talk about the Will to win, McDavid carried the Oilers last season and was the main reason why they won as many games as they did. And in a way Crosby never did. Sure, he didn’t make the playoffs McDavid, but it has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to win, he CLEARLY did since he’s the only player on that team that made a difference. Crosby is obviously as great leader, and obviously wants to win, but his “Will” has never been the difference maker, it’s his skill as a player mixed with other skilled players, all grinding for the same goal. A cup. It’s a team award, not a Will award.

Reactions: Randyne

Avelanche

#freeRedmond
Jun 11, 2011
Boston
he lost "best player in the NHL" when he had all those injuries and unfortunately barely played for 3 years imo. still one of the best.

Bonesy9

Feb 13, 2018
“Will to win?” That kind of nonesense is so ridiculous and just tiring to hear.

Crosby’s “will” consist of a team with the likes of Malkin, Kessel, Murray, Letang, Guenztel, and other solid players. That’s why his team wins. Crosby has never carried or “willed” anyone or anything to a cup or championship. That doesn’t mean his contribution should be ignored, but it’s still a TEAM game, not a game of who has the most will power. Winning is a lot easier with more talent around you. Did Crosby suddenly not have enough Will power for the Pens from 2010-2015? Or did he just not have a good enough team around Him? The answer is simple.

You can put all your cards into something as subjective and phantom like as “Will power”, but in the end Crosby has 3 cups partly due to having another player with as much skill and Will power in Malkin, add another key piece of “Will power” and skill in Kessel.....who does McDavid have?

You wanna talk about the Will to win, McDavid carried the Oilers last season and was the main reason why they won as many games as they did. And in a way Crosby never did. Sure, he didn’t make the playoffs McDavid, but it has nothing to do with wanting or not wanting to win, he CLEARLY did since he’s the only player on that team that made a difference. Crosby is obviously as great leader, and obviously wants to win, but his “Will” has never been the difference maker, it’s his skill as a player mixed with other skilled players, all grinding for the same goal. A cup. It’s a team award, not a Will award.

Fair points. Stats are a lot less subjective.

I also think that Ovechkin willed the Capitals last year. Skill is one thing, but some players have the extra gear or adaptability to there games.

Ovechkin finally adapted his game last year and it showed. They came back in the first series and led by him became unstoppable.

Reactions: GreatGonzo

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank

I also think that Ovechkin willed the Capitals last year. Skill is one thing, but some players have the extra gear or adaptability to there games.

Ovechkin finally adapted his game last year and it showed. They came back in the first series and led by him became unstoppable.
I agree. Having the will and drive to win of course is a must. I just feel every, if not most players have that in the NHL, but it’s that mixed with skill that makes a player dangerous. Both Crosby and Malkin have shown their abilities to be crucial to their teams success. Add more players to that and you have a cup contender. Ovechkin always had the drive and that want, but unfortunately he did fall short over and over again no matter how good or bad he played. I do feel he needed to be his old self again, BUT, he needed that overall team support that he ultimately got.

I think Ovechkin showed more “heroics” than he did anything else. Scoring big goals and really finely tuning his game for that playoff grind. But he still played like he always did for the most part in the playoffs. Did he have more drive? More hunger? I’m sure, but that only goes so far. Like Crosby, he needed other players to step up, and he found that in Oshie, Backstrom, and ESPECIALLY Kuzy. Mix that with some great depth scoring that came up big many times. Holtby was awesome and really showed more confidence as a goalie that deserved to be there. All in all it’s always the perfect storm in general.

A cup needs to be a blend of luck, grit, skill, and yes....that drive to win. But you need all of it to win overall.

Reactions: Randyne

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
he lost "best player in the NHL" when he had all those injuries and unfortunately barely played for 3 years imo. still one of the best.
Is the third of these years he barely played when he got hit in the mouth with a puck and missed 12 regular season games and still finished third in league scoring? He lost "best player in the NHL" while leading the league by a dozen points for a majority of the year, the year before he led the league in points and won his second MVP?

Last year was the first time since his rookie year that he didn't either finish top three in scoring or lead the league in points per game. He finished merely tenth in the league.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Amazing how intangibles and the “will to win” are only apparent in hindsight.

Or maybe they are dumbed down media lore created to make a poetic narrative.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->