How many teams will be lost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

habitue*

silver_made said:
how many teams (AND which?) will fold following the lockout?

None if a cap is implemented...

Half a dozen if not !!!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
No teams will fold, they will move. So far I think the number is 2 and they are Florida and Carolina

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site
habitué said:
None if a cap is implemented...

Half a dozen if not !!!

I'd like to see at least four teams disappear one way or another. Carolina, Anaheim, and Florida would be a good start. As for a fourth, I'm on the fence between Atlanta and Nashville. One question: how hard is it to fold a franchise in the NHL? Does anyone here know the details of what the bylaws require? A simple majority vote of the other owners? A buyout of some sort? If someone in NHL management finally decides to say "enough is enough, we need to contract", those owners on the potential hit list will start kicking and screaming. I can't remember the last time any team in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB simply folded, vanished completely, instead of moving or merging.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
What about the teams that are losing money, but are currently spending less than Bettman's $34 million minimum team payroll?

How can they survive even with the cap?

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Guys..c'on the lockout is going to last at least a year longer and possibly longer....there will be at least 2 or 3 teams gone(or moved) by the time the league even RESTARTS. I would say FL, Pens, and Canes.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Guys..c'on the lockout is going to last at least a year longer and possibly longer....there will be at least 2 or 3 teams gone(or moved) by the time the league even RESTARTS. I would say FL, Pens, and Canes.

Any lockout of more than 18 months will take out 6-8 teams

Who would run a business with ZERO revenues for a year and a half.

Since all 30 teams want to be equal when a team goes under the other teams can pay the contracts. The owners DO want cost certainty right?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Terrier said:
I'd like to see at least four teams disappear one way or another. Carolina, Anaheim, and Florida would be a good start. As for a fourth, I'm on the fence between Atlanta and Nashville. One question: how hard is it to fold a franchise in the NHL? Does anyone here know the details of what the bylaws require? A simple majority vote of the other owners? A buyout of some sort? If someone in NHL management finally decides to say "enough is enough, we need to contract", those owners on the potential hit list will start kicking and screaming. I can't remember the last time any team in the NHL, NBA, NFL or MLB simply folded, vanished completely, instead of moving or merging.

I don't see nhl owners wanting to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to pay other teams to contract.

the last league that tried contracting teams was baseball and they ran into a legal and political buzzsaw from the players union,fans and pols in the proposed cities.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
No teams will fold.

The only teams that are losing money through this lockout are teams like the Leafs and the Rangers...that actually make money.

But, oh wait...the pro-player types around here don't believe that. Owners are SUPPOSED to lose money. :shakehead

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
NataSatan666 said:
Any lockout of more than 18 months will take out 6-8 teams

Who would run a business with ZERO revenues for a year and a half.

Since all 30 teams want to be equal when a team goes under the other teams can pay the contracts. The owners DO want cost certainty right?

Better than running a business in the red for 10 years.

HckyFght*

CREW99AW said:
I don't see nhl owners wanting to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to pay other teams to contract.

the last league that tried contracting teams was baseball and they ran into a legal and political buzzsaw from the players union,fans and pols in the proposed cities.

I never believed Major League Baseball had any intention of contracting. Since there are no more major markets for baseball to move to, the threat of contraction is the only weapon they have left to get new stadium deals. Contraction in baseball was all about new stadiums, or stadia, if you prefer.

In the NHL why should any teams contract? It doesn't make sense in any way. No one is going to pay $80 million for a franchise fee and then say, oh well...Once the New NHL is up and running those struggling teams will suddenly have a new lease on life. The Thrashers and Predators will soon be competetive, and some one should put the 'Canes out of their misery and talk their pitiful owner into selling them. It would be sweet to see them in Canada, the Pens as well. Heck, maybe Winnepeg and Quebec? The Toronto area could probably support two teams!

-HckyFght!

EaGLE1

Feb 17, 2004
Quebec City
PepNCheese said:
What about the teams that are losing money, but are currently spending less than Bettman's $34 million minimum team payroll?

How can they survive even with the cap?

ever heard about the 24% rollback ? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad