How many teams should the NHL consist of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

I think 30 teams are too many, and that they need to reduce the number.

I personally think that 22 teams would make a better balance.

Do you agree that 30 teams are too much? Which teams should get kicked out?

Three Stars

Mar 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Just getting in before the "don't contract my team!!!" battle starts...

Considering that 30 teams can be supported by the right CBA, and that kicking out a franchise means many millions of dollars that the NHL probably needs to keep would have to be given to the future-former owner for them to go away, I say keep 30 teams.

DevilFisch

Jan 11, 2003
Edison, NJ
www.inlouwetrust.com
Jaded-Fan said:
Get the right CBA and I could see 32 viable teams within five years.

Interesting...who are the mystery 2 teams?

Please don't say Portland. Unless the squad is going to be led by a very tall red-haired Deadhead while the drafting philosophy is to draft the biggest head-case available. Then say Portland.

Chootoi

Jan 7, 2005
DevilFisch said:
Interesting...who are the mystery 2 teams?

Please don't say Portland. Unless the squad is going to be led by a very tall red-haired Deadhead while the drafting philosophy is to draft the biggest head-case available. Then say Portland.

winnipeg for one, the other would probably be a major US city that already has an AHL team like houston or cleveland

monkey_00*

SectionX said:
I think 30 teams are too many, and that they need to reduce the number.

I personally think that 22 teams would make a better balance.

Do you agree that 30 teams are too much? Which teams should get kicked out?

SectionX..............

Great topic........I say get rid of 6-teams right away.......Phoenix, Nashville, Carolina, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Washington.........then all we have left is 24-teams.......then I'd borrow a page from European Soccer League and form a Primier division with 12-teams and a Second division with another 12-teams there........each season the last place team in the Primier division would drop down to the second division.....and vice versa the first place team in the econd division makes the jump up to the Primier division...........BUT of course something like this would never happen in the NHL simply because it makes too much sense.

Cheers!

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
you really want the two-tier system? i don't think that makes much sense at all. it's needed in soccer because the teams aren't on an even playing field, but hopefully the new cba will solve that for hockey

Radulov for Czar*

I'm tired of people saying Nashville should be contracted. It would have been nice if we had a chance to prove how much the NHL means to the fans here, especially after our first playoff birth. The sponsors and fans were there at the end of the season, but who knows if they will be back.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
24 is cool, but there are some expansion franchises that have earned some right to stay in the league over a couple others.

I wont name names as to who should go, but in my opinion, Minnesota and Columbus have atleast an honest look into staying NHL franchises. Though, those names keep coming up in these silly discussions.

Plus, can we put an axe in the two-tiered divisional rankings for the NHL? Please? It's irrational.. and for the last time, we aren't european. Ok, it works for Euro leagues, but if you want to see this league turn up dead in a ditch somewhere, this is the best way to go. Would I pay to go see the Washington Crapitals suck it up in a tier-2 league where they only play the Pittsburgh Penguins and Carolina Hurricanes? Nah... People keep forgetting that fans will pay money to see their local teams playing guys like Detroit, Colorado, Philadelphia, and Toronto. Why penalize them to the point where they can't even make money some nights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->