How many teams now require only mobile tickets?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
For this upcoming season if you purchase Leafs tickets they can only be accessed mobile only if you purchased them through their official app or through Ticketmaster's website and they would be accessible on your App Wallet for those with an iPhone and Google Play for those with Samsung Galaxy phones. So basically that means you can no longer print their tickets at home prior to going to a game. So what other teams have decided to do this?

I know the Lightning are another team doing this because this December when they play the Leafs on the 13th I'm going to that game since I will be on vacation in Orlando and when I purchased the tickets through Ticketmaster, I added them onto my iPhone and they are in the App Wallet.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
The Oilers are doing it now too. I think the justification for it all is that it helps to prevent scalping and people buying fraudulent tickets.

Both the Isles and Devils are doing this same bull****. Hasn't dawned on them that not everyone has a smartphone.

Pretty sure you can just go to the ticket box office, in the rare case you don't have a smart phone, with proper ID and some sort of confirmation # and you can get your tickets.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Pretty sure you can just go to the ticket box office in the rare case you don't have a smart phone with proper ID and some sort of confirmation # and you can get your tickets.
When I purchased my tickets for the game in Tampa I was also given a confirmation # that I could have printed out, so I would assume you are correct about that.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
The Oilers are doing it now too. I think the justification for it all is that it helps to prevent scalping and people buying fraudulent tickets.

Pretty sure you can just go to the ticket box office in the rare case you don't have a smart phone with proper ID and some sort of confirmation # and you can get your tickets.

Yep. Scalpers printing out multiple online tickets and just selling them to everyone with the first person the only ones getting the tickets is the cause of this.

They could probably have thought of a better way to do this but it is what it is.

For those fans of teams that aren’t doing this, don’t ever buy a paper copy of a ticket from a scalper. EVER!

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Pretty sure you can just go to the ticket box office, in the rare case you don't have a smart phone, with proper ID and some sort of confirmation # and you can get your tickets.
My best friend doesn't have a smartphone and has Flyers, Devils and Isles seasons. Flyers always give the option for printed tickets (in fact to show just how well run the Flyers are his ticket book contains all the potential playoff tickets that they activate when he signs up for postseason. This saves the expense of doing them as a separate mailing). The Devils had no problem giving him printed tickets. The Islanders? No printed tickets. And when he went to the first preseason game he went to the box office and they were busting his balls refusing to print him a ticket. Eventually sanity prevailed and the team grudgingly gave him printed tickets.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The Jets have started this as well. When I see tickets to coworkers now, I can only send them to their email, I can't print them out.

Marty Party

Back @ The Bridge
Mar 2, 2012
Nashville
ace.mu.nu
Nashville started mobile entry last season. I didn't have any issues with entry other than one game when TM was down. I had to go to the box office, which was slammed, and get a paper ticket.

Some tips to make entry quick and painless. Screen cap the QR code as soon as it is available to view. Do it at home where you know you'll have a good connection. If you wait to pull up the app while walking to the arena or standing in line you could encounter some issues viewing your ticket and therefore getting into the game. Another quirk I've noticed, sometimes when attempting to view the QR code you'll get a stock photo of a crowd watching a concert. I'm a full STH, so what I end up having to do is go back out to my full list of tickets, select the following game ticket and then go back to the current game ticket. I don't know what this does but it then allows me to view the QR code for the current game. Finally, make sure your phone is charged. Dead phones equals dead tickets.

I've also transferred numerous tickets without issues but you do have to get the other person's email address. Then they have to create an account to accept the transfer.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Some tips to make entry quick and painless. Screen cap the QR code as soon as it is available to view. Do it at home where you know you'll have a good connection. If you wait to pull up the app while walking to the arena or standing in line you could encounter some issues viewing your ticket and therefore getting into the game. Another quirk I've noticed, sometimes when attempting to view the QR code you'll get a stock photo of a crowd watching a concert. I'm a full STH, so what I end up having to do is go back out to my full list of tickets, select the following game ticket and then go back to the current game ticket. I don't know what this does but it then allows me to view the QR code for the current game. Finally, make sure your phone is charged. Dead phones equals dead tickets.
When you say the screen cap the QR code do you mean to take a screen shot of them? For my tickets this December between the Leafs and Lightning they are saved in the App Wallet of my iPhone 8 Plus, so I don't think I need to make a screen shot of them.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
My best friend doesn't have a smartphone and has Flyers, Devils and Isles seasons. Flyers always give the option for printed tickets (in fact to show just how well run the Flyers are his ticket book contains all the potential playoff tickets that they activate when he signs up for postseason. This saves the expense of doing them as a separate mailing). The Devils had no problem giving him printed tickets. The Islanders? No printed tickets. And when he went to the first preseason game he went to the box office and they were busting his balls refusing to print him a ticket. Eventually sanity prevailed and the team grudgingly gave him printed tickets.

How the hell does a guy earn enough to have seasons tickets in 3 cities without owning a smartphone?

Cause I want in....

Reactions: Sam Spade

snag

Feb 22, 2014
He has an old fashioned BlackBerry with a keyboard and just feels so comfortable with it he won't give it up.

K that makes sense. Gave mine up so long ago I didn't think any of them were still around. I remember when my World Edition died I damn near did the happy dance. I lost my previous World Edition at a Bon Jovi concert and my company gave me another I almost cried...thought I had finally gotten rid of it.

Reactions: sabremike

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Yep. Scalpers printing out multiple online tickets and just selling them to everyone with the first person the only ones getting the tickets is the cause of this.

They could probably have thought of a better way to do this but it is what it is.

For those fans of teams that aren’t doing this, don’t ever buy a paper copy of a ticket from a scalper. EVER!
Lol. Do you work for an NHL team's marketing group? This is solely about controlling the resale ticket market.

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
I really try to cut the cell phone cord when I can (I know, ironic metaphor) which includes hockey games, so prefer the paper tix option.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto

I have a good friend who scalps and is always outside the ACC or Skydome. He's been a fixture there for years. I have bought loads of tickets from him that have been printed out and never had a problem. Most reputable scalpers have a reputation to protect. I wouldn't buy from a random dude on Kijiji or hanging out 3 blocks from the arena.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
He has an old fashioned BlackBerry with a keyboard and just feels so comfortable with it he won't give it up.
I know plenty of older guys in my line of work (construction) who just aren't up to date with technology and are happy using cheap flip phones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->