How many teams employ a 11F/7D from time to time?

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Guy Boucher does this frequently but does ANY other team do it with any sort of regularity? Or, well, ever?

As a Leaf fan I cannot recall a single game I've ever see us use that format.

Any other team do that? More than once?

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Stars did maybe once or twice this season and maybe even last season too. Only cause we carry so many dmen and Honka isn't trusted and our forwards suck so they aren't worth playing anyways. Happened when Klingberg first got injured though and the AHL guys were first called up

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
You're gonna have to define "from time to time" for me, because by my interpretation of that phrase the answer to your question is every team in the NHL.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
You're gonna have to define "from time to time" for me, because by my interpretation of that phrase the answer to your question is every team in the NHL.
Calgary hasn’t done that once this year. And I can’t remember them doing it anytime in the 2 seasons before

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017

I think it's mostly done in the playoffs where being down a defender can be huge. Usually employ it when a Dman is playing injured.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

I dont think so.

I've watched 90%+ Leaf games since early 2000s and cannot recall them ever doing this.

A couple posters in this thread have even said they dont think theyve ever seen it... or maybe once at most.

Define it as "multiple times in a season."

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Penguins won the first cup with 7D and Crosby/Malkin alternating as 4C on different shifts

Boucher with lightning used 7D

On the other end of the spectrum the Sharks' revolutionary system of 14F/4D isn't working very well

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I dont think so.

I've watched 90%+ Leaf games since early 2000s and cannot recall them ever doing this.

A couple posters in this thread have even said they dont think theyve ever seen it... or maybe once at most.

Define it as "multiple times in a season."

I could have sworn I have seen the Leafs do this a few times under Ron Wilson and/or Randy Carlyle.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Wild don't tend to carry much for extra forwards, so illnesses will get us in that spot.

But usually Prosser plays wing, not D when they do

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad