How many teams are in trouble or for sale?

Vic Rattlehead*

The only troubling situations from that list (IMO) are Atlanta and Phoenix.

GSC2k2*

Lumping together teams that are "in trouble" (whatever anyone means by that) and teams for sale is IMO a flawed exercise.

What does "in trouble" mean anyway? If it means "unable to pay their bills", then no one is "in trouble".

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
100% Bad on the poll thus far.

Minnesota
Long Island
Dallas
Phoenix
Atlanta
St.Louis
Florida
Raleigh
Columbus
Colorado
Toronto

all of them problematical to varying degree's. Thats a lot of pucks in the air.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
St.Louis is looking for a majority partner, not a troubled team.

As I posted on the "Hulsizer looking to buy St.Louis" thread, Checketts' has been looking for a majority investor since last year to take on TowerCapitals' 95% stake in the team. Cost is $165M in cash; assumption of $120M in debt on the Scottstrade Center & the Blues, leaving him in charge, calling the shots. Who does that?. Im not suggesting St.Louis is in danger of an imminent collapse or relocation, but Checketts tenure could well be over unless he's able to secure an investor or investors quickly. Recent reports are not good. Its a problem which is why I included it in the group.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
100% Bad on the poll thus far.

Minnesota
Long Island
Dallas
Phoenix
Atlanta
St.Louis
Florida
Raleigh
Columbus
Colorado
Toronto

all of them problematical to varying degree's. Thats a lot of pucks in the air.

:shakehead

It is just disgusting. Really The NBA too.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Lumping together teams that are "in trouble" (whatever anyone means by that) and teams for sale is IMO a flawed exercise.

What does "in trouble" mean anyway? If it means "unable to pay their bills", then no one is "in trouble".
I meant to get a broader sense so I included that. I mean in terms of bill paying, relocation, ownership, etc.

Vic Rattlehead*

There really needs to be a definition for "problematic" and "trouble" for this discussion to continue.

At this point people are just lumping teams for sale into the "trouble" category, which is completely innacurate to say the least.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There really needs to be a definition for "problematic" and "trouble" for this discussion to continue.

At this point people are just lumping teams for sale into the "trouble" category, which is completely innacurate to say the least.
Trouble.

Ownership, money/cashflow problems, relocation threats.

Good or should I be more specific?

gifted88

Dante the poet
Feb 12, 2010
Guelph, ON

The Dallas Stars a few years back took out a loan to pay the bills using their farm team as collateral. That I would call troubled.

Vic Rattlehead*

Trouble.

Ownership, money/cashflow problems, relocation threats.

Good or should I be more specific?

A team simply up for sale or looking for a majority/minority partner should hardly be classified as being in "trouble", especially with regards to Toronto and Dallas.

straka91*

Really Bad:
Atlanta

Bad:
Phoenix
Colombus
Oilers
Florida

So So:
Islanders
St. louis
Dallas

Struggling:
Carolina
Colorado
Minnesota

Dont really feel for Toronto since they make a crap ton of money unlike the rest of the teams on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vic Rattlehead*

A team simply up for sale or looking for a majority/minority partner should hardly be classified as being in "trouble", especially with regards to Toronto and Dallas.

Gah, not Dallas, meant St. Louis.

Although I'd hardly call the situation in Dallas dire.

theanomaly

you just lost the game
Nov 18, 2010
NJ
you really think the nhl would allow an O-6 team to be moved? thats funny.

if you honestly believe that, you bumped your head...

i noticed those really bad, bad, and so-so teams do not have a bonafide star. the exception being rick nash. perhaps that helps contribute. the nhl putting franchises into markets they have no business being in doesnt help at all. looking at you dallas, phoenix, atlanta, and florida.

couldnt hurt any of these teams at all to pick up a real nhl star (khl guys can be had as well, theyre not shabby) to help fill seats and sell merch. its not like they dont have the cap space, for the most part.

Last edited:

GSC2k2*

"PC" ain't the issue, dude. Meaningless (IMO, of course) terms are, though. I read the responses above and STILL don't know what the OP is driving at.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Minnesota shouldn't be on this list. They are not struggling. They had one bad season this year, where they got hammered by their non-insured IR payroll. That accounted for 100% of their losses this year.

Vic Rattlehead*

"PC" ain't the issue, dude. Meaningless (IMO, of course) terms are, though. I read the responses above and STILL don't know what the OP is driving at.

The OP consistently tries to make it look as if the NHL is a poorly run entity that will die out in a couple of years.

Melodramatic sums up his posts.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Really Bad:
Atlanta

Bad:
Phoenix
Colombus
Oilers
Florida

So So:
Islanders
St. louis
Dallas

Struggling:
Carolina
Colorado
Minnesota
*Nashville* Before playoffs
Dont really feel for Toronto since they make a crap ton of money unlike the rest of the teams on the list.

No, they weren't. Nashville hasn't been struggling since new ownership took over. We had our best regular season attendance numbers this season and corporate support has never been higher.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The OP consistently tries to make it look as if the NHL is a poorly run entity that will die out in a couple of years.

Melodramatic sums up his posts.
Ouch.

Although I agree I am over the top at times

I just feel so bad for those in Atlanta. ASG is pulling such garbage Vic. Even Stern to the Maloofs to shove it!

Vic Rattlehead*

Ouch.

Although I agree I am over the top at times

I just feel so bad for those in Atlanta. ASG is pulling such garbage Vic. Even Stern to the Maloofs to shove it!

No disagreement here.

Those fans deserve far better...ASG is awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad