How Many Prospects Do The Flyers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Have at the WJHC, it seems like every team has some, Carter, Richards, are locks to play in NHL, how many others also have a chance. It looks like a long row to hoe for the Leafs if they have to play them in the playoffs for years to come.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
They've got six prospects playing.

Canada - Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Rejean Beauchemin
Slovakia - Ladislav Scurko, Stefan Ruzicka
Switzerland - Kevin Romy

Carter, Richards and Ruzicka look like they'll all play in the NHL someday. Beauchemin could very well do the same. I don't know much about Scurko or Romy, but I hear Romy's stock is rising, much like some fellow Flyer prospects. A name often forgotten, and under-rated in my opinion, is Alexandre Picard out of Halifax.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
flip588 said:

Switzerland - Kevin Romy

Carter, Richards and Ruzicka look like they'll all play in the NHL someday. Beauchemin could very well do the same. I don't know much about Scurko or Romy, but I hear Romy's stock is rising, much like some fellow Flyer prospects. A name often forgotten, and under-rated in my opinion, is Alexandre Picard out of Halifax.

Add Colin Fraser to the list for Canada.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sensfan11 said:
Add Colin Fraser to the list

Nope Sorry

Colin Fraser was traded away ... to Chicago in the deadline deal ..last season ..

Colin Fraser and Jim Vandermeer & 2nd were traded to Chicago for Alexei Zhamnov & 4th round pick..

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2004
Richards and Carter are two prospects which fit the damn flyers mold so damn well.

Richards is an excellent two way player and leader, much like Bobby Clarke was, and Primeau is today. Carter is a big strong physical prescence much like LEclair is.

Don't worry Leaf faithful, we still have Mr. Steen to look forward to. :help:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
leafs4thecup said:
Richards and Carter are two prospects which fit the damn flyers mold so damn well.

Richards is an excellent two way player and leader, much like Bobby Clarke was, and Primeau is today. Carter is a big strong physical prescence much like LEclair is.

& Carter and Richards when they are ruled UFA as a result of no CBA and the season being cancelled .. not allowing the Flyers to sign them by the June 1st, 2005 deadline date for unsigned North American prospects from the 2003 draft.

mooseOAK*

leafs4thecup said:

Carter is actually quite slender, not big other than height.

mooseOAK*

La-La-Laprise said:
6'04 205

He can add 10 lbs by this time next year and by the tim ehe is 25 he could be up to 6'04 225

At the time he was drafted he was listed at 6-3, 182 lbs. I may be wrong but he doesn't look like a guy who has added 23 pounds to his body. And 43? Better call Balco.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
flip588 said:

Switzerland - Kevin Romy

also, a guy who is not playing in the Worlds who could be a real nice NHL player is Ryan Potulny.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
mooseOAK said:
At the time he was drafted he was listed at 6-3, 182 lbs. I may be wrong but he doesn't look like a guy who has added 23 pounds to his body. And 43? Better call Balco.

He has a big frame. Adding 43 lbs from ages 17 to 25 on a frame that is 6'04 isnt that hard to do.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Reilly311 said:
Carter and Richards are the most overrated prospects.
Yea, they sure showed it today. :)
Richards is a fierce, fierce forchecker, and has skill to boot. Jeff Carter looks like a dominant top line center in waiting.

adurn

Dec 22, 2003
The Messenger said:
& Carter and Richards when they are ruled UFA as a result of no CBA and the season being cancelled .. not allowing the Flyers to sign them by the June 1st, 2005 deadline date for unsigned North American prospects from the 2003 draft.

You really think the NHL is going to punish the Flyers for doing exactly what they wanted them to? The new CBA will more than likely have a lower rookie max, and the Flyers will probably sign both at that (~$800,000), not the old, higher rate ($1.15 million.)

Wouldn't that June 1st date also be a part of the old CBA as well? If they can't sign them because of no CBA, how can they still be subject to rules in the expired CBA?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
adurn said:
You really think the NHL is going to punish the Flyers for doing exactly what they wanted them to? The new CBA will more than likely have a lower rookie max, and the Flyers will probably sign both at that (~$800,000), not the old, higher rate ($1.15 million.)

Wouldn't that June 1st date also be a part of the old CBA as well? If they can't sign them because of no CBA, how can they still be subject to rules in the expired CBA?

it works both ways .. If it was such a sure thing .. How come small market teams like Calgary, Florida, Anaheim ... rushed out and signed Phaneuf, Anthony Stewart, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf only hours and minutes before the last CBA expired and the lockout was announced??

They are the teams that could use the rookie salary Cap lower figures more than Philly could ..NO ?? because of financial resources ..

and the second part of your question is really no different than NHL players .. If there is no NHL season then all the contracts of players like Pronger and Niedermayer and lots of others that have contracts ending JUNE 1st will all become UFA after that date with no chance for their teams to resign or renegotiate with them .. If the NHL stars can become UFA , I see no reason why unsigned prospects that are no even part of the NHLPA yet should get special treatment ..

I have never heard nor read what will happen with these kids as of yet one way or the other ....

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
La-La-Laprise said:
He has a big frame. Adding 43 lbs from ages 17 to 25 on a frame that is 6'04 isnt that hard to do.

Agree. There were comparisions to Thornton in his draft year, and I can see why; they have very similar body types. When Joe first came into the league he was quite lanky, now look at him.

mooseOAK*

Legionnaire said:
Agree. There were comparisions to Thornton in his draft year, and I can see why; they have very similar body types. When Joe first came into the league he was quite lanky, now look at him.

Thornton was a physical force at that age, there is no comparison.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
The Messenger said:
Nope Sorry

Colin Fraser was traded away ... to Chicago in the deadline deal ..last season ..

Colin Fraser and Jim Vandermeer & 2nd were traded to Chicago for Alexei Zhamnov & 4th round pick..

Ahhhhh, thanks for the correction.

Not a bad deal..

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
The Messenger said:
it works both ways .. If it was such a sure thing .. How come small market teams like Calgary, Florida, Anaheim ... rushed out and signed Phaneuf, Anthony Stewart, Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf only hours and minutes before the last CBA expired and the lockout was announced??

They are the teams that could use the rookie salary Cap lower figures more than Philly could ..NO ?? because of financial resources ..

and the second part of your question is really no different than NHL players .. If there is no NHL season then all the contracts of players like Pronger and Niedermayer and lots of others that have contracts ending JUNE 1st will all become UFA after that date with no chance for their teams to resign or renegotiate with them .. If the NHL stars can become UFA , I see no reason why unsigned prospects that are no even part of the NHLPA yet should get special treatment ..

I have never heard nor read what will happen with these kids as of yet one way or the other ....

Won't happen. The powers that be in the NHL won't allow teams to lose their draft rights to players because of the lockout and it's certainly not an issue the PA will fight for. The PA is going to have enough problems winning battles for its members, much less spend much time and effort fighting for free agency for non-members.
However, what is possible, if not likely, is that the players drafted prior to the new CBA will be signed outside its structure, i.e. under the old rules.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
CarlRacki said:
Won't happen. The powers that be in the NHL won't allow teams to lose their draft rights to players because of the lockout and it's certainly not an issue the PA will fight for. The PA is going to have enough problems winning battles for its members, much less spend much time and effort fighting for free agency for non-members.

However, what is possible, if not likely, is that the players drafted prior to the new CBA will be signed outside its structure, i.e. under the old rules.

We are all guessing .. Why are people putting so much into unproven prospects when the big stars of the game will become UFA .. these few players are small potatoes as you say in the big sceme of things ..

I don't follow your last point .... Jeff Carter as announced on TSN a million times already would be in the Flyers lineup if there was a season ... So why as of the time of the lockout did the Flyers not sign Carter ..if the eventual outcome is same as old cba as you say .. Then why wait ??

and explain the panic in teams like Calgary to sign Phaneuf and Anaheim Getzlaf ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->