How many points will the 2019-20 CBJ have?

How many points will the 2019-20 CBJ have?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
NHL Off-Season Power Rankings: Who’s improved most (so far)? - Sportsnet.ca

Hopefully this can be discussed relative to how many points the Jackets will achieve rather than become enmeshed in the holier than thou scrap being played out above.

Jackets ranked 29th in terms of how much they have improved over the off-season only beating out Minnesota & the Isles.

I tend to agree with the author. Gustav Nyqvist doesn't come close to replacing the talent that walked.

That being said the Jackets did have 108 points the season before Bread joined but only had 98 &97 with him. Also Bob was here for all three seasons.

Those picking the Jackets to make the playoffs are betting on a return to the 108 point season style of play with spread out point totals and being a hard to play against team. Plus they are hoping/expecting the Korpi/Elvis tandem to be playoff caliber and don't forget Tex & Bemstrom.

I don't think all those things come together. Add in Florida as a team that improved a lot plus the Rangers and Devils getting much better and I think the playoff train will skip Columbus this year.

Bottom line if B&B (& Duchene) were here I'd say the Jackets would be a strong Cup contender;they're not so I eagerly await the season to see how this all plays out.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Having no dog in this pisssing contest, I have to agree with bus on this point.
How many people do you see insisting the team is doomed? How many people are steadfastly refusing to allow for any possibility of the playoffs? I'm not seeing much of any. I'm seeing a lot of people who are worried and who're defaulting towards things going wrong, but no commitment to the position.

That's a hell of an improvement from the "we're just f***in' doomed" nonsense of years prior. That's what I'm referring to.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I voted the miss the playoffs option but would say I am cautiously optimistic about this season.

Sometimes I read this board and wonder if anyone just cares about the Jackets or is this a place just to go and argue.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
No you didn't, hon. :dainty:

You do you put in that spot? Dude scored A LOT of goals in the AHL last year.

I did, buddy. Careful with your name calling.

Nyquist-Dubois-Atkinson
Milano-Jenner-Anderson
Foligno-Texier-Bjorkstrand
Nash-Wennberg-Bemstrom

I don’t care what you think about Dalpe. He doesn’t belong on an NHL roster, even if he’s dominated the AHL.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I voted the miss the playoffs option but would say I am cautiously optimistic about this season.

Sometimes I read this board and wonder if anyone just cares about the Jackets or is this a place just to go and argue.
There's always going to be some arguments, because people are passionate about this stuff. We all care. I just dream of a day when folks can generally, routinely reasonably disagree.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Now 76 votes. 25 say playoffs and 51 say not. Was a 3-2 margin against making the playoffs and now it's a firm 2-1 against.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
You can believe the team will win 82 games and sweep to the cup.

You can believe the team will make the playoffs with 100+ points or just make it in general.

You can believe the team will miss, just barely, or by a ton.

None if it matters, it’s just a difference of opinion. Optimistic, realistic, or pessimistic. None of these things make you more or less of a fan than the other. As long as you support the team by watching/going their games, buying their stuff, all of these things, or just check in every once in a while. It doesn’t make you more or less of a fan than someone else. We’re all supposed to be CBJ fans here. Calling someone not a “true” fan just because they disagree on the ending result of the season is stupid. At the end of the day, we all want the CBJ to win the cup. Some think we can, some don’t think we can, but we all want it to happen. That means we’re all fans here, most of us diehards at that. We may say things we don’t mean or say things out of anger and frustration, but at the end of the day we want what’s best for the team.

It’s not that hard. Nobody here is a bigger fan than the other, and nobody is more “truu” fan than the other. We all love this team, probably a bit too much since it is just sports, but we all do.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Now 76 votes. 25 say playoffs and 51 say not. Was a 3-2 margin against making the playoffs and now it's a firm 2-1 against.
Honestly, I put that middle category in a position of its own - the "bubble team"/"maybe, maybe note" grouping. Because it's a point range that could go either way IMO.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Honestly, I put that middle category in a position of its own - the "bubble team"/"maybe, maybe note" grouping. Because it's a point range that could go either way IMO.

CR did a caveat on that category in the OP. I think it’s fair to think those folks are predicting something along the parameters of ‘competitive and in the hunt but ultimately falling short.’

That said, that’s ‘optimistic’ compared to the 31 voting for the two categories below. So while it’s true that the playoffs versus not is 2-1, and I’m admittedly not a statistician, voting is spread out evenly across the given spectrum.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
https://www.sportsbettingdime.com/nhl/regular-season-points-over-under-odds/

TeamBookMaker.eu Regular Season Points & OddsBetOnline Regular Season Points & Odds
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Columbus Blue Jackets83.5 (-110o/-110u)84.5 (-115o/-115u)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Two different book makers have the CBJ at roughly 84 points.

For last season, I found this:NHL 2018-19 Season Point Totals

Columbus Blue Jackets97.5
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Actual was 98 points.

Not to say that the bookies are know-it-alls. However, they are pretty good.

The bookies would have the CBJ at the 80-87 points "Welcome back the CBJ we used to...." in this poll-a level beneath "bubble team". Not surprisingly, the average person on the CBJ hfboards page thinks more highly of them than the bookies do. The difference between the polls and the bookies is probably attributable to two things. 1) Normal bias of overrating one's own team and 2) Standard optimism/wishful thinking of a fan base.

If one thinks that the CBJ are playoff material, then placing a wager on them would be a good bet as it'll probably be a much better than even odds proposition. I'll check on what those odds currently are later in the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

ODDS TO WIN THE 2019-20 METROPOLITAN DIVISION (4/15/20)
TeamOdds
Washington Capitals7/2
Pittsburgh Penguins9/2
Carolina Hurricanes9/2
New Jersey Devils6/1
New York Islanders7/1
New York Rangers8/1
Philadelphia Flyers9/1
Columbus Blue Jackets25/1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Couldn't find any "make playoff" odds yet.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Sports Betting News and Vegas Odds

ODDS TO WIN THE 2019-20 METROPOLITAN DIVISION (4/15/20)
TeamOdds
Washington Capitals7/2
Pittsburgh Penguins9/2
Carolina Hurricanes9/2
New Jersey Devils6/1
New York Islanders7/1
New York Rangers8/1
Philadelphia Flyers9/1
Columbus Blue Jackets25/1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Couldn't find any "make playoff" odds yet.

The counter to this is that there are details that may go unappreciated by folks, including bookmakers, who lack understanding of the team.

The obvious counter to that is that those understandings often skew a local’s perspective too far in one direction.

The counter to that is that bookies aren’t only setting odds based on predicted outcomes but on how people will react to predicted outcomes.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The counter to that is that bookies aren’t only setting odds based on predicted outcomes but on how people will react to predicted outcomes.

True. The betting line ultimately tries to create an equal division of bets on both the "over" and the "under" placed so that the bookies will assume no risk and profit off the "vig".

However, if the betting line is not accurate about what the public really thinks, it will "move" in one direction or another. The Jackets range from 50-1 to 100-1 to win the Stanley Cup next year from what I've seen. If the CBJ are first in the Metro come January 1, the betting lines would shift and the odds will become be much lower since the betting public (rightfully so) would evaluate the CBJ chances of winning it all as much better than the bookies have at this point in time.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Those picking the Jackets to make the playoffs are betting on a return to the 108 point season style of play with spread out point totals and being a hard to play against team. Plus they are hoping/expecting the Korpi/Elvis tandem to be playoff caliber and don't forget Tex & Bemstrom.

I don't think all those things come together. Add in Florida as a team that improved a lot plus the Rangers and Devils getting much better and I think the playoff train will skip Columbus this year.

Exactly. This team can win but they will have to play Torts hockey AND hope the goaltending plays well. I just don't see this team changing it's style as much as needed, but I wouldn't be shocked if they do play well enough to get in.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Torts in his annual talk with Portzline said he's going into the season with these lines in mind

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-??
???-Jenner-Anderson

Said he wants to give Texier a chance at center this year, especially if Wennberg struggles early. He likes Nyquist. And they're going to try to get more out of Foligno this year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Torts in his annual talk with Portzline said he's going into the season with these lines in mind

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-??
???-Jenner-Anderson

Said he wants to give Texier a chance at center this year, especially if Wennberg struggles early. He likes Nyquist. And they're going to try to get more out of Foligno this year.

Foligno at LW1? Oh my.

Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Read the article, not sure why Torts thinks putting Nick at 1LW is a good idea when Bjorkstrand needs to be given a long look in a real top-6 role. Seems like this will be our first look at the lineup:

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Jenner-Anderson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Dubinsky-Nash

I am really, really hoping that Milano is given an opportunity to move up in the lineup and Bemstrom is able to claim a spot to push Dubinsky out of the top-12.

If Nyquist is pigeon-holed to play with Wennberg, so be it. But I would change those trios up.

Bjorkstrand-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Jenner-Anderson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bemstrom
Milano-Nash-Foligno

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Read the article, not sure why Torts thinks putting Nick at 1LW is a good idea when Bjorkstrand needs to be given a long look in a real top-6 role. Seems like this will be our first look at the lineup:

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Jenner-Anderson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Milano-Dubinsky-Nash

I am really, really hoping that Milano is given an opportunity to move up in the lineup and Bemstrom is able to claim a spot to push Dubinsky out of the top-12.

If Nyquist is pigeon-holed to play with Wennberg, so be it. But I would change those trios up.

Bjorkstrand-Dubois-Atkinson
Texier-Jenner-Anderson
Nyquist-Wennberg-Bemstrom
Milano-Nash-Foligno
I don't think Nyquist is pigeon-holed; I got the impression that that's Tortorella's starting point and that he'll adjust as things develop.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

Foligno-Dubois-Atkinson
Nyquist-Wennberg-??
???-Jenner-Anderson

Would rather see Bemstrom and even Milano in top 9 wing roles rather than Foligno. Also, call me crazy, but give Foudy 9 games in a middle 6 C role and bench Wennberg for that time. And then I guess pray one of Nash/Dubinsky becomes slightly contributive on the 4th line and maybe that line won't be relegated to 6 minutes a game.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Would rather see Bemstrom and even Milano in top 9 wing roles rather than Foligno. Also, call me crazy, but give Foudy 9 games in a middle 6 C role and bench Wennberg for that time. And then I guess pray one of Nash/Dubinsky becomes slightly contributive on the 4th line and maybe that line won't be relegated to 6 minutes a game.

I admit it could be dismissed as me just plain liking the guy, but I think Nick has more to give from a scoring standpoint. I'm not sure I automatically like him with Dubois and Atkinson, and maybe Torts is convinced none of his LWs can make the switch, or he doesn't want them to.

I also think we're going to see a better version of Riley Nash this season.

All that said, I'd like to see Bemstrom and Milano, too. I hope the lineup decisions are difficult.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That’s not exactly crawling out on a limb. Hell, that’s not even beginning to climb the tree.

Yeah point taken. "It's almost impossible for him not to..."

How about "We're going to see an effective version..."

(Caveat - effective not to suggest he'll become a powerhouse, nor that fans will all of a sudden appreciate his quiet confidence and steady play, but that he will indeed play well for his role.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad