How many points will the 2019-20 CBJ have?

Discussion in 'Columbus Blue Jackets' started by Cyclones Rock, Aug 15, 2019.

?

How many points will the 2019-20 CBJ have?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2019.
  1. Under 80........Hello rebuild!

9.9%
  2. 80-87........Welcome back the CBJ we used to know and love (sometimes)

27.5%
  3. 88-93.........Miss them thar playoffs by a whisker

29.7%
  4. 94-102......Keep that playoff engine going

29.7%
  5. 103+........Bob who? Artemi what?

3.3%
  1. Cyclones Rock

Cyclones Rock Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    2020 Stanley Cup Odds: Tampa Bay Lightning Are Betting Favorites Again | The Action Network

2020 Stanley Cup Odds

• Tampa Bay Lightning 6-1
    • Columbus Blue Jackets 100-1
    • Minnesota Wild 100-1
    • Detroit Red Wings 100-1
    • Anaheim Ducks 100-1
    • Los Angeles Kings 100-1
    • Ottawa Senators 500-1
    https://www.oddsshark.com/nhl/stanley-cup-futures

Tampa Bay Lightning+700
    Columbus Blue Jackets+5000
    Vancouver Canucks+5000
    Anaheim Ducks+6600
    Los Angeles Kings+6600
    Detroit Red Wings+10000
    Ottawa Senators+15000

CBJ not getting any respect by the oddsmakers from any angle so far as I can determine.

2. JacketFanInFL

JacketFanInFL Brick by Brick

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Looks like a lot of people here are going to be rich....

JacketsDavid and Cyclones Rock like this.
  3. majormajor

majormajor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Not that I think the Jackets should have particularly good odds for winning the cup, but I think they'd be higher than 50-1. They're closer to the Blues build than most clubs.

Someone at the Athletic wrote a quick article comparing teams to the Blues to see how many pieces of the recipe each team had. The Blue Jackets I think garnered a 3/5. And I'd disagree with some of it - they listed "a gamebreaker like Tarasenko" as a vital part of the recipe. I don't think the Jackets have a guaranteed gamebreaker, but I also don't think Tarasenko is that great of a player that one of the Jackets wingers couldn't match his scoring or overall contribution.

The Jackets also hold a lot of trade chips and could move one of their many D-men for a high end forward. And though unlikely, it's possible they find their Binnington by playoff time, either from within or by trade. They're a couple pieces away from the Blues build, something that most teams can't say because they're missing the size, the depth, or the defense.

4. Cyclones Rock

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Think you meant lower than 50-1, but I understand the points you made.

The average team by definition should be 31-1 vig not withstanding. Placing the CBJ at 1.6 times that (50-1) doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

5. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    If I understand the money line betting my bet would be on Pittsburgh at +2000.

6. Cyclones Rock

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Bet $100 get $2000

7. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That is what I thought. Seems like the best bet to me although trying to pick a SC winner is a fool's bet imo.

Cyclones Rock likes this.
  8. Viqsi

Viqsi where we're going we won't need eyes to see

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    I'd sooner take a bet on Pittsburgh being knocked out in the first round. That team has not been in good shape at all lately. Not yet to the point where I start predicting they miss the playoffs like some hopefuls do (not unless they lose Crosby and/or Malkin for an extended period, maybe not even then), but frankly I wouldn't have much confidence in them.

9. Old Guy

Old Guy Just waitin' on my medication.

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I don't think they make it.

10. Cyclones Rock

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    68 votes cast.

Basically a 2-1 margin against CBJ making post season (44-24).

11. Monk

Monk Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Good I'll be 69

12. thebus88

thebus88 19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Anderson - Dubois - Atkinson

Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand

Bemstrom - Foligno - Texier (Wennberg)

Dalpe - Dubinsky - Nash (Robinson)

Murray - Jones

Werenski - Savard

Kukan - Nutivaara - Gavrikov

(Harrington, Clendening)

Anderson is the obvious and easy choice to move to LW, imo. The way he plays the game (and his effectiveness) isn't/hasn't/wouldn't be affected much by switching sides. I think this will be our "top 6", but that any combo of the guys could be put together based on certain matchups. We could very well see a line of Anderson- Jenner- Atkinson used in ALL (but mainly "tough") situations most of the year and be considered the "1A" line and get the most minutes, while a line of Nyquist-Dubois-Bjorkstrand is given easier matchups and tasked with looking to put up more points than shut the other teams down.

I know its been talked about, and many people actually agree now, but with Texier added and Bemstrom (while a different type of player) probably at least on his level, its pretty hard to find a spot for Wennberg. It seems as if the coaches last year are now done "forcing" him into the center spot, as they see he is the type of player that CAN BE effective at center, not a guy THAT IS effective at center. Sure, if Texier or Bemstrom start slow or hit a wall, you have him ready to go. Same goes for injuries that most certainly will happen. But, I think he's going to have to outplay guys to earn/be given a spot, and I don't see it.

People will look at the 4th line and just say Wennberg should be penciled in there because he's "better" than the other guys. But really, Wennberg is literally better at negatively affecting entire lines "chemistry" and effectiveness than he is "driving" a line or making a positive impact. Dubinsky (and Nash) add more to the lineup than Wennberg, simple as that. The coaches choose Dubinsky over Wennberg 10 times outta 10, under a minute and up a goal, and they should. With the young offensive guys added, and Bjorkstrand/Nyquist/Dubois/Atkinson, not to mention more effective players in Jenner/Anderson/Foligno, what are we really asking for from Wennberg? I think it really does come down to "fit", and that Wennberg isn't a versatile player at all, as much as some people still flaunt his "awareness", in all different zones and aspect of the game.

I also believe, even with injuries almost guaranteed and it being nice to have a variety with the 3/4 guys to choose from, that we have 1 too many defenseman. The guys need to play, REGULARLY, at this point. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kukan considered the "set" #5 and see Nutivaara/Gavrikov (and sometimes Harrington) be the rotation. Crow shall be COOKIN come late October, mark my words.

Also, you guys are really running outta time with me allowing easy access on the Korpisalo Express, fair/final warning. It will be a quick turnaround on 'the mains' from, "Haha you guys suck and have no goalie" TO "Haha you guys suck as fans you didn't even hype him up at all"....mark my words.

13. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The point total you voted for has the most votes of any single category. Two posters voted for the higher point total category. I hardly think there's some scenario where everyone but you is wrong about this team. I know that's your thing, and we all love you for it, but saying it doesn't make it true.

No, I have not voted.

CBJWennberg10 likes this.
  14. DarkandStormy

DarkandStormy Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Bemstrom is a RW, so you'd flip him with Texier. Quite frankly, I hope they give Foudy his 9 games in a middle 6 spot. He can't be worst than "zero even strength goals" Wennberg and I'd rather see Foligno on the left side - in this case, on the 4th line.

15. PanarinDangles9

PanarinDangles9 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I stopped reading after you listed Dalpe on your opening night roster.

16. majormajor

majormajor Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Bemstrom is listed at RW but I've heard that he is more of a LW, PP and 5 v 5. That's certainly the side he scores from. Texier is not a RW, he's LW/C.

Foudy getting 9 games as a 19 year old seems premature to me. I think Foudy will have enough of an adjustment trying to compete at the AHL level *. He'd have to have one hell of a summer to be as effective as Foligno.

*Speaking of which, I've seen Foudy penciled in on some Monsters lineups, but he is 19, he should be back in London actually.

I'm wondering why we don't have the same reaction to Dubinsky.

17. PanarinDangles9

PanarinDangles9 Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Probably because it is unrealistic to expect him to not be on the roster due to his contract and him not being bought out over the summer. Not saying he deserves it, but it’s reality. Dalpe doesn’t belong anywhere near an NHL roster, and his contract allows for that.

majormajor likes this.
  18. thebus88

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    While its true that there are plenty of people who have confidence in the current team (as shown by the overall playoff predictions) lets not overlook the fact that 2/3 of the people have the team missing the playoffs and that much of the current discussion here is not very positive. Sure, in the past I have gone the 'me against the masses' route, but this time I really haven't done that, and as I've said in the past in regards to the quote, "you guys", certain comments (no matter how popular or unpopular they are at any given time) and the "crow" are only directed towards people who feel a certain way, the opposite aka the wrong way.

With that said, name a person/poster that's more PRO-KORPISALO than I am...…...which is where my "warning" comes in.

19. thebus88

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    No you didn't, hon. :dainty:

You do you put in that spot? Dude scored A LOT of goals in the AHL last year.

Yes about Bemstrom. We've (you've) talked about guys playing on the off wing and 1-timers and Bemstrom could literally be the best current forward on the team without even playing a game yet. To note, I consider Bjorkstrand's mainly as more of a quick-catch snap shot, although I (not Foligno or anybody else out front of the net) would like to see him crank some 1-timers more often. Now that I'm thinking, maybe... Anderson-Jenner-Atkinson/Bemstrom-Dubois-Bjorkstrand/Nyquist-Foligno-Texier) I think Texier is fine on either side like Anderson, and not a center, yet at least. Could be wrong, but I believe Texier player RW in the playoffs, at least a game.

Dalpe and Dubinsky, who do you put in their spot and give their icetime to?

f***in Wenny and Hannikainen? :pout:

20. Double-Shift Lasse

Double-Shift Lasse Just post better

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    In other words, you tried but still found it impossible to make your point without setting yourself against... someone, anyone.

And I don't know about Korpi and who's in his corner and how much. Used to be me, when I said to let Bob go and give Korpi the job like 2-3 years ago, but I've been proven wrong on that count. What does it matter who's more "pro-Korpisalo" than you. Is this site intended for talking Jackets and hockey or for burnishing a reputation? In all the years I've been around HF, there's never been any kind of opinion-tracker function.

CBJWennberg10 and Viqsi like this.
  21. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    That's good thing. All of us would probably be under water. :tvhappy:

22. thebus88

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well, I guess if some people looked at things a little differently I wouldn't have to "set myself against them". Why are you so focused on how I get my points across? If I'm breaking a rule, tell me. If not, lets please not act like the "I'm right/you're wrong" stuff is only expressed by me and not towards me, thanks.

The issue is that barely ANYONE is currently pro-Korpisalo, IN ANY WAY. He's going to be our starting goalie in a month.

It seems like nearly any positive CBJ talk is frowned upon and attempted to be shut down by most "fans". It was that way most of last year and the vast majority/all of this summer.

Sorry, I'll leave, like everybody else.

Fire Jarmo, Fire Torts. Buyout Dubinsky. Continue on.

Cyclones Rock and CBJWennberg10 like this.
  23. Viqsi

Viqsi where we're going we won't need eyes to see

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Jackets 1st, Preds 2nd
    Oh PLEASE. You've ripped into people mercilessly for years over ever giving any credit for any positive play to guys like Bobrovsky, going on and on about how they shouldn't be allowed to be "bigger than the TEAM"... and now suddenly we're all terrible people because folks aren't preemptively head over heels for Your Guy in particular? And that there's "no positive talk" and it's being "shut down" because people aren't constantly saying nice things about Korpisalo? The overwhelming majority position here has been cautious optimism (or at least a lack of relentless pessimism) all offseason, despite players we've lost, because people believe in the team as a whole - and you're complaining and insisting that the talk is all negative because "barely anyone is currently pro-Korpisalo"?

Spare us. Practically the whole damn board is embracing the "our team as a whole is better, we can have reason to believe" mentality that has been the one laudable thing you have advocated your entire damn time here (despite your unfortunate habit of using it as a blunt instrument against everybody in defense of your favorite players), and yet you're STILL kvetching because your favorite guy isn't getting praise he hasn't earned yet. You have gotten everything you have asked for and you're still acting like the bereaved, oppressed Last True Fan victim.

Get another damn schtick already, for G-d's sake. This shit is disgusting.

24. thebus88

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The "overwhelming majority" DOES NOT feel optimistic about the team, "cautious" or whatever term you want to use. As shown in the majority of posts on the board, and 2/3 votes for 'no playoffs' in this thread. I'll give you that its also NOT "relentless pessimism" either. We can (but should not) debate the semantics of what the correct (truu) term should be, but I really just question how fine of a line there is between the two. Also, who exactly are "the guys like Bobrovsky" and where are they all now?

Two separate points are being made here, however, they are inherently related quite a bit. I'm not saying people aren't confident in the team because of their feelings on Korpisalo. I'm saying most people aren't confident in the team (a lot of it IS due to the lack of confidence in Korpisalo/the goaltending as a whole) and people have even LESS confidence in Korpisalo.

No, they have not. Unless there's a thread or 2 I've missed.

The pot calling the kettle black - Wikipedia

To put it simply, I have NOT "gotten everything I have asked for", in regards to people's confidence in the team. More importantly, the absolute LACK of confidence in Korpisalo is real, and IS my main issue at the current time. The lack of confidence in our probable starting goalie is bothersome to me for multiple reasons covering different aspects involving him personally and how it affects the overall perception of the team. I'll add the lack of hype for PLD is also up there.

Doublin' down and changing my vote.

25. EspenK

EspenK Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Having no dog in this pisssing contest, I have to agree with bus on this point.

JacketFanInFL and Cyclones Rock like this.