How many points will Sam Bennett score next year?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
What are you even talking about? Like, what's your point here exactly? Did you decide not to even read what I wrote?

Third year
Last I checked:
15/16 is year 1.
16/17 is year 2.
17/18 is year 3.

In 14/15 he missed more or less the entire season; that's a fairly important season for draft development.

Guys develop differently. Hell, Johansen was as big as Bennett is right now when he was drafted :laugh:

The only people who worry about Bennett tend to be Oiler fans, which is golden. Flames fans know this kid has enough skill, IQ and talent to be a top 6 forward with top line potential still.

Read as you were saying next year will be his second full season, didnt see the "as a center" part. 17/18 will be his 3rd full year, 2nd as center

Yes, guys develop differently but nearly top 6 player, and especially top liners, hit a line in the sand bench mark by their 3rd season (which Bennett will be going into). So if people are expecting 45 points, then a future as a top line player is in serious jeopardy. I mean if you compile a list of every player who had around 45 points in their 3rd season, I bet you wouldnt like the alumni list

I see a ton of other fans in this thread discussing Bennett. And there will be a ton of interest in a highly drafted player of a Canadian team, especially if that player is disappointing. Ask Vancouver fans about Virtanen and the threads about him (which Calgary fans piled on) or look at any of the 100 Yakupov threads (again filled with Calgary fans among others), or Toronto with Kadri in the past. Calgary really hasnt had a top 5 pick before so they are now discovering the amount of talk that player generates, even more so when they arent doing well

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Oh you mean that Kadri shooting 17% between Kessel and JVR led to a massive increase in production from his normal average?

And when his partners skill dried up his points decreased. Very interesting.

Almost like there's some correlation between linemates, TOI, and points. If Bennett was on the 2011/2012 Flames team he'd double his point production but he wouldn't be any better.

When did Kadri shoot 17% between Kessel and JVR which led to a massive increase in production from his normal average?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
When he got 44 points in 48 games.

He didn't play with JVR and Kessel at all.

MacArthur-Kadri-Komarov (30%)
Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul (25%)
Komarov-Kadri-Frattin(17%)
etc

That season his oish% was very high and lucky, everything he and his linemates were shooting was going in. This past season where he got 61 points was sustainable and can be replicated again, but the 2012-2014 44 in 48 games was not sustainable.

But I see what your point is and I agree. How did a Kadri produce 61 points at a sustainable rate? Combination of things but better teammates did have a role. I actually had him penciled in for 55-60 points back in 15-16 when he got the 1C role and I was right, after his unlucky first half he did produce at a 55-60 point sustainable pace 2nd half, which then continued on into this season. Kadri always had the skill and play to make him a productive C but it was the quality of teammates that always held him back. Bennett has similar skill and potential imo, he can be exactly that with the right usage. Who is he playing with this year?

Last edited:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
He didn't play with JVR and Kessel at all.

MacArthur-Kadri-Komarov (30%)
Kulemin-Kadri-Lupul (25%)
Komarov-Kadri-Frattin(17%)
etc

That season his oish% was very high and lucky, everything he and his linemates were shooting was going in. This past season where he got 61 points was sustainable and can be replicated again, but the 2012-2014 44 in 48 games was not sustainable.

But I see what your point is and I agree. How did a Kadri produce 61 points at a sustainable rate? Combination of things but better teammates certainly helped. Kadri always had the skill and play to make him a productive C but it was the quality of teammates that always held him back. Bennett has similar skill and potential imo, he can be exactly that with the right usage. Who is he playing with this year?

Hope to god Tkachuk. If it's Versteeg and Brouwer I may break something.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
44 points in 48 games was unsustainable, but even in the season after he managed 50 points

Its been said before but Kadri would be a great comparable for where people should hope Bennett ends up. Thats likely his top upside and I think people would be happy if thats the level he gets too. Both play a fairly similar game with similar strengths/size/style etc

I consider Kadri to be a good option for a 2c and a good foundation player. For me, if I was building a cup winner hed be the 4th/5th best forward on the team. For the Maple Leafs id say they have him in a great spot and that 4th/5th best forward will be the role hes expected to play in the future

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Tkachuk-Bennett-Jagr?

But if Tkachuk plays with Bennett, who plays with Backlund-Frolik?

Literally anyone can. Could be Versteeg, could be Ferland, could even be Jankowski. Backlund and Frolik were great line mates for Tkachuk to become how he is, Jankowski could very well use the same treatment.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I voted 30-39

The kid is in a tough spot unless Monahan or Backlund get injured he is the 3rd line centre.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
If he is playing on the 3rd Line it's hard to see him getting the ice-time to put up more that 40 points.

If he gets some run on the 2nd line 45-50 would be a good step forward for him.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If he is playing on the 3rd Line it's hard to see him getting the ice-time to put up more that 40 points.

If he gets some run on the 2nd line 45-50 would be a good step forward for him.

He would need to play on the wing to get top 6 minutes or he would need one of Calgary's top two centres to get injured. When Bryan Little went down with a season ending neck injury in 2015-16 Scheifele was elevated to 1st line centre proceeded to go off and the rest was history. Never good to lose a top six guys like Monahan or Backlund but sometimes it provided an the opportunity and a young player rises to the challenge.

Right now he is in a tough spot because there is a big gap between him and the centres above him. Honestly though he is young and he just needs to progress.

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
I was very high on Bennett, but what I would expect by now is that a guy that was drafted 4th overall and going into his draft+5 season to be able to pass Mikael freaking Backlund in the depth chart and be earning top 6 minutes and piles of PP time. It's not like he's buried behind PIT quality center depth so that excuse doesn't really fly. Eventually it's on the player to give the coach no choice.

MTL would gladly take your future 3C Mikael freaking Backlund then. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad