How Many Points This Season?

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
Listening to NHLNetwork Radio, I heard bandied about the optimistic number of 70 for points by the Knights this year.

Seems a little high, but doable for a first year expansion team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1725757-ranking-the-nhls-worst-expansion-clubs-of-the-modern-era

The expansion team with the most dismal start of the modern expansion era was the Ottawa Senators at 10-70-4 (24) in the 1992-93 season.

One of the best expansion starts was the Florida Panthers at 33-34-17 (83 points and almost .500).

Last year's worst team were the Avs at 22-56-4 (48).

It is hard to believe that the two worst teams of the 2015-16 season were the Leafs (69) and the Oilers (70).

So, realistically, how many points will the Knights get? A 60-70 point season, for sure, would be quite a success ... unlikely, but certainly something to go for.

Last edited:

sgupca

Oct 9, 2008
Halifax, NS
it's a big range, but i can see in the 50-70 range. It really depends on the chemistry the forward group can form.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
70 seems to be the most realistic prediction. They could probably go as high as 80 but their defense and goaltending would have to be extremely strong for most of the season.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I wouldn't be crushed with 70 (an over .500 record at home) but expect, with the team as it stands with the goalie, coach and Shipper weaving their magic, the team could be in the 80-85 point range, flirting with a playoff spot but probably falling just short.

I'd bet 82.

But I'm hoping for 91.:naughty:

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
60-ish, but really I think it's too early to call. I think they are going to have to add some scoring forwards, by sign or trade, so you probably aren't looking at a solid opening night roster yet.

If they do nothing, lower than 60.

If they sign the UFA's that are out there, maybe in the 60's.

If they pull off some trades, maybe more.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
60-ish, but really I think it's too early to call. I think they are going to have to add some scoring forwards, by sign or trade, so you probably aren't looking at a solid opening night roster yet.

If they do nothing, lower than 60.

If they sign the UFA's that are out there, maybe in the 60's.

If they pull off some trades, maybe more.

In an earlier expansion I would have agreed with the 60 point range but with all the so-called "loser points" available these days I think the Knights can scare up a lot more than 60. I don't think they'll win enough to make the playoffs but 70-80 seems realistic enough.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
Depends what they do in the next two months. They don't have enough scoring on the roster right now, and you can't count on one goal games and OT/SO games every night.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
70 points is best case IMO. This is a bad team with one 20 goal scorer. Some will surprise but Fluery would have to play on another level for this team to threaten for a playoff spot.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
70 points is best case IMO. This is a bad team with one 20 goal scorer. Some will surprise but Fluery would have to play on another level for this team to threaten for a playoff spot.

Neal and Marchessault both hit 20+ last year.

Shipychov is a wild card but has the ability to hit 20, Smith has hit 20+ before, Perron hit 18 last year.

I'm sure we'll have more than one 20 goal scorer this year. :laugh:

I think our offense is seriously going to be underrated, it's our defense that will be worrisome.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
70 points consisting almost entirely from crazy home wins.

The facts for me: a) we don't have solid D b) everything is new and nothing works c) we are tanking... but I still believe in 70+ points, just because of the high upside potential by many of the players (that never got a REAL chance elsewhere) and the first year bias (every goal will feel like a massive thing for the players and fans).

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Going to be a very interesting team to watch, especially in the first season. We'll be competitive, but not great, while we shed off the expendable players from the expansion draft (Neal, Perron, Garrison) and give playing time to some guys getting their first extended looks at the NHL level (Leipsic, Carrier, Nosek).

I'll predict 32-40-10, 74 pts.
Hopefully we get a Top 5 pick out of it, but I see us bottom 5 in the NHL with Vancouver, New Jersey, Colorado and Detroit. I know Arizona has improved, so for me, the best part of this season will be to see if we can finish in 7th in the Pacific above Vancouver (fingers crossed!).

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Frankly, all things considered, I'd prefer to be in a position to get Dahlin or Svechnikov.

The former would give the team a potential cornerstone defenseman for years to come, the latter would look nice coming down the wing.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Frankly, all things considered, I'd prefer to be in a position to get Dahlin or Svechnikov.

The former would give the team a potential cornerstone defenseman for years to come, the latter would look nice coming down the wing.

Svechnikov would be nice in the first few years because he has the moves, but he leaks like titanic in the plusminus department. For a guy with bad two-way stats he isn't replacing the deficiency with his <1pts/gp. Dahlin *could* have but it is too early to tell and so far it has been the same for him with the bad plusminus. From the videos it seems that he does have potential to become a two-way guy.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Svechnikov would be nice in the first few years because he has the moves, but he leaks like titanic in the plusminus department. For a guy with bad two-way stats he isn't replacing the deficiency with his <1pts/gp. Dahlin *could* have but it is too early to tell and so far it has been the same for him with the bad plusminus. From the videos it seems that he does have potential to become a two-way guy.

Both guys are going to be studs, though finding a legit #1 cornerstone defenseman is more difficult.

Dahlin is good enough to play in the NHL now, every thing he does is at a fast pace and the skills are already there. Considering their ages and respective leagues, you can't base this one off stats.

If you assume that a strong season from certain guys could result in additional picks at the deadline, there's reason to believe that the team could be in a prime position to have another amazing haul at the draft.

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I'm thinking that Vegas might be around the bottom of the league this year, but that is probably for the best. You've already got some good, young talent in the system. Drafting in the top five a few times will give you the best chance at getting those elite players needed to win it all.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm thinking that Vegas might be around the bottom of the league this year,...
If you look at line-ups in the West, yeah, they'll likely only be better than

:coyotes :nucks :avs

But given how Calgary or San Jose (the same squad sans Marleau) could stumble, and the Kings could have another 0.500 season,...

The Knights just might be in the wildcard playoff hunt in January, at which point the owner and GM might decide to make a run of it via trades rather than pull the plug and get rid of UFAs.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
If you look at line-ups in the West, yeah, they'll likely only be better than

:coyotes :nucks :avs

But given how Calgary or San Jose (the same squad sans Marleau) could stumble, and the Kings could have another 0.500 season,...

The Knights just might be in the wildcard playoff hunt in January, at which point the owner and GM might decide to make a run of it via trades rather than pull the plug and get rid of UFAs.
I don't think they'll finish above the coyotes. A few months ago I'd agree, but adding Hjarmarsson, Stepan, and Raanta was huge.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Adding Fleury, Shipachov and Neal was huge, too.

:naughty:

If you don't think Vegas will beat Arizona then don't pass go.

I do think Vegas will be better than most think, but I don't think they have the personnel to finish ahead of the yotes this season, mostly their D. I also think they'll be in sell mode around the TDL, and the yotes likely won't be (for the first time in a looooong time haha). It could be fairly close until the TDL, but I think Vegas sink pretty hard after their sell off.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
In GF/G last year:

Col: 2.0
Van: 2.2
AZ: 2.3

Looking at the VGK roster, I don't see even 2 goals for per game. That is a really small margin for error.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad