How Many Points for Giroux in '18-'19?

How Many Points for Giroux in '18-'19?

• Total voters

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Giroux had a huge resurgence last year putting up 102 points after a disappointing season the year before. At 30 years old he should be on the wrong side of his prime but anyone who watched him this year would admit he looked just as good as he did 5-6 years ago at his peak and unlike most years when he's had offseason surgery that can linger into the following year, he went into this offseason relatively healthy. He had an unsustainable 17% shooting percentage last year which I would expect to drop but his playmaking ability was as good as ever. With Couturier coming into his own at 24 last season and Konecny having a nice sophmore season at 20 years old, both of his linemates should only get better this year.

So was last years move to wing and playing with a defensively responsible center what Giroux needed to revitalize his career or was it a fluke bounce back season and he'll come crashing back to Earth?

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
had career highs in shooting % and OIsh% by a good margin, I'd guess that his production deflates by the same factor of his OIsh% returning to his career average, about 25% less so mid 70's in points

still a very good year and a resurgence, but he was lucky at what's probably an unsustainable rate as well

Reactions: Machinehead

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
had career highs in shooting % and OIsh% by a good margin, I'd guess that his production deflates by the same factor of his OIsh% returning to his career average, about 25% less so mid 70's in points

still a very good year and a resurgence, but he was lucky at what's probably an unsustainable rate as well

But wouldn't that only decrease his 5v5/ES points by 25%? His PP production was in line with his usual performance. I'm assuming you mean 5v5 oish%, but his ES oish% was also about 25% higher so it's just easier for the purposes of total point predicitions. So roughly 50 ES points instead of 66, along with roughly 35 PP points, to put him in the mid-80s. That's if he continues to play like he did last year instead of the couple years prior

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Hard to answer without knowing if Giroux is now a winger or is he going to be a C?

It is very likely he remains on LW.

That being said, he is healthy and I'd have a hard time seeing him score less than 70 points. My guess is 85, as I think scoring league-wide will regress a tad.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
It is very likely he remains on LW.

That being said, he is healthy and I'd have a hard time seeing him score less than 70 points. My guess is 85, as I think scoring league-wide will regress a tad.
Ok, thanks for the info.

As a Finn, I went for the pessimistic 70-79 points.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
But wouldn't that only decrease his 5v5/ES points by 25%? His PP production was in line with his usual performance. I'm assuming you mean 5v5 oish%, but his ES oish% was also about 25% higher so it's just easier for the purposes of total point predicitions. So roughly 50 ES points instead of 66, along with roughly 35 PP points, to put him in the mid-80s. That's if he continues to play like he did last year instead of the couple years prior
Ya fair point, did not realize how many pp points he gets. He's at an age where a bit of regression is probably likely and he might start to get challenged for some of his pp time with all the young players in the flyers organization so I think I'd still bet in the 75-80 range but you raise a good point

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Ya fair point, did not realize how many pp points he gets. He's at an age where a bit of regression is probably likely and he might start to get challenged for some of his pp time with all the young players in the flyers organization so I think I'd still bet in the 75-80 range but you raise a good point
Not sure if serious....

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Not sure if serious....
don't think that a breakout year from Konecny, Patrick, Lindblom, Morgan Frost etc would warrant more PP time for them? I could see that. And I don't mean that Giroux would cease to get PP time, just that there might be more balance between the two units

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
86. Scoring was up this season, guess it worked shrinking the goalies equipment last spring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad