Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
C A R N A Je
Carnage-marvel-comics-14651980-1400-830-616x365.jpg

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
So let's get expectations straight, so we can all agree how we can feel after the game. What do Zykov and Foegele need to do for us to feel that things could have been different if they had been called up earlier? A point each? On the plus side of the ledger? Not embarrassed by Taylor Hall?

And yeah, I get the complaints about Peters. It seems that he and Francis were on the same page for 3 1/2 seasons, until Dundon came in. From that point forward, Peters seems to have been energized by the change and excited about winning hockey games. Francis seemed unmoved, and didn't allow it to change his approach one bit. So I guess maybe Peters just played politics better. They did seem to be in agreement that the kids in Charlotte should stay there until Dundon came on board. So maybe it's on both of them that Zykov didn't get a shot earlier, but it's hard to deny that he's *exactly* the type player we needed in January when the offense needed a jolt.

I guess what's encouraging to me is that Peters clearly changed his approach under Dundon. Maybe he wasn't as "on the same page" with Francis as they claimed to be in public, maybe they were, but Peters has clearly been a different coach under Dundon.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Foegele needs to show a consistent ability to generate shots on net. His goal last night is one that won't go in 9 times out of 10, but he beat a defender who had good position on him via his strength and footwork and so was able to make a shot on net. He had a pretty toe drag move from the opposite corner last night too, let's him do it against actual NHL defenders. That's why he could finish with more points than Nordstrom this year in a tenth of the games played.

Z needs to keep doing what he's been doing. Win board battles. Go to the front of the net and win battles. Demonstrate good awareness (his goal last night). Bust his butt defensively.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So let's get expectations straight, so we can all agree how we can feel after the game. What do Zykov and Foegele need to do for us to feel that things could have been different if they had been called up earlier? A point each? On the plus side of the ledger? Not embarrassed by Taylor Hall?

I know you're being facetious, but one game isn't going to change how I feel, which is that they most definitely should have been brought up earlier. There's still going to be some growing pains, adjustments, and scoring slumps, but I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have outperformed fully half of the forwards on the roster over the course of the full season.

And yeah, I get the complaints about Peters. It seems that he and Francis were on the same page for 3 1/2 seasons, until Dundon came in. From that point forward, Peters seems to have been energized by the change and excited about winning hockey games. Francis seemed unmoved, and didn't allow it to change his approach one bit. So I guess maybe Peters just played politics better. They did seem to be in agreement that the kids in Charlotte should stay there until Dundon came on board. So maybe it's on both of them that Zykov didn't get a shot earlier, but it's hard to deny that he's *exactly* the type player we needed in January when the offense needed a jolt.

I guess what's encouraging to me is that Peters clearly changed his approach under Dundon. Maybe he wasn't as "on the same page" with Francis as they claimed to be in public, maybe they were, but Peters has clearly been a different coach under Dundon.

I'm not sure I agree with most of this. I don't think Peters changed much at all, save for maybe breaking up the TSA line, which I think they rode for too long when nobody else was contributing. You're basically conceding matchups there because you're probably going to want Staal out against the opposing team's top lines, which then made them content with throwing out their shutdown guys against Skinner or Lindholm or Rask, which was probably a pretty easy job.

In any event, I do agree that they absolutely should have gotten looks earlier. I also don't subscribe to the "ruining" of a player by bringing them up too early.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
BTW I watched the postgame last night. John Forslund wasn't available (probably NBC) so the Checkers guy was up.

After the game, Tripp Tracy presented the Checkers PBP guy with a commemorative puck, to celebrate his first NHL victory as a broadcaster. The guy was stunned on live camera, he had no idea it was coming....say what you will about Tripp, but that was a very nice gesture, one more to add to "The Hurricanes will hit you in the feels" moments (with Alves and Bickell).

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
BTW I watched the postgame last night. John Forslund wasn't available (probably NBC) so the Checkers guy was up.

After the game, Tripp Tracy presented the Checkers PBP guy with a commemorative puck, to celebrate his first NHL victory as a broadcaster. The guy was stunned on live camera, he had no idea it was coming....say what you will about Tripp, but that was a very nice gesture, one more to add to "The Hurricanes will hit you in the feels" moments (with Alves and Bickell).

I think he's definitely shown improvement as he's gotten more comfortable in his role. I still miss Forslund and think he's the best in the business, but it's nice to have a guy like Shaya waiting in the wings when national broadcasts come calling.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Keep the Devils from making the playoffs.

No, let them make it and lose in the 1st round. We already have NYR with 3 1st round picks (NYR, BOS, TBL), Philly with potentially 2 (PHI, STL), and NYI with 2 LOTTERY picks (NYI and CGY).

Let's keep the rest of the metro teams OUT of the lottery. Just our luck, NJ will miss out on the playoffs and will win it again. Let them take the 8th seed.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anybody got any insight into a lineup? I know BP is loathe to change anything after a win (annoyingly so), but Faulk? Goalie? Bueller?

I read somewhere that he might go back with Ward since he didn't get much action last night. Haven't seen anything else.

EDIT - Here a the very end: Recap: Foegele Shines in Debut as Canes Top Senators

"I didn't think our goaltender was overly taxed tonight," Peters said. "That's an option, but we'll talk about it on the plane like we always do."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->