How Many Islanders Crack Your top 10 fave players (all time) ?

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Hey Drex, maybe another thread, but would like to get your first hand view on the opening of Yankee Stadium, originally in 1923 (when you were a teenDrex) and most recently in 2009!

:sarcasm:

Not quite that ancient yet. :laugh: Did see a few baseball games in the Yankee Stadium before it was remodeled in the 70's and a few Mets games in the Polo Grounds where they played before Shea Stadium opened.

Last edited:

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
My top ten non Islanders, this list shows my age.

1-Bobby Orr
2-Serge Savard
3-Jean Beliveau
4-Dave Keon (was a Leafs fan before the Islanders existed)
5-Gordy Howe
6-Bobby Hull
7-Doug Harvey
8-Stan Mikita
9-Guy LaFleur
10-Glen Hall

Same generation. As others have indicated, this is not easy to do. I tend to like players who are a little under-rated, or have faced some sort of adversity in making it. I liked Phil Esposito when he was with Chicago in the mid-sixties, but then he got traded to Boston and became well-known. I liked Chris Valentine in Washington in the early 80s, but he didn't last long. My list:

1. Frank St. Marseille
2. Rick Martin
3. Matt Moulson
4. Derek Sanderson
5. Thomas Hickey
6. Eric Vail
7. Matt Martin
8. Marty St. Louis
9. Rene Rober
10. John Tavares

Unfortunately, Loic Leduc is not yet eligible for the list.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Same generation. As others have indicated, this is not easy to do. I tend to like players who are a little under-rated, or have faced some sort of adversity in making it. I liked Phil Esposito when he was with Chicago in the mid-sixties, but then he got traded to Boston and became well-known. I liked Chris Valentine in Washington in the early 80s, but he didn't last long. My list:

1. Frank St. Marseille
2. Rick Martin
3. Matt Moulson
4. Derek Sanderson
5. Thomas Hickey
6. Eric Vail
7. Matt Martin
8. Marty St. Louis
9. Rene Rober
10. John Tavares

Unfortunately, Loic Leduc is not yet eligible for the list.

Leduc is in good company, on the wall of my dungeon with Bobby, Wayne, Mario, Gordie, several other greats and Rex.
On your list since he is the oldest, I do remember Frank St. Marseille very well, just a really good steady two way player who contributed more than on the scoresheet.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
1. Martin Brodeur
2. Rick DiPietro
3. Vinny Lecavalier
4. Billy Smith
5. Enrico Ciccone
6. Andre Roy
7. Ron Hextall
8. Zenon Konopka
9. Dino Cicarelli
10. Matt Martin

edmontonislesfan

Mar 28, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Leduc is in good company, on the wall of my dungeon with Bobby, Wayne, Mario, Gordie, several other greats and Rex.
On your list since he is the oldest, I do remember Frank St. Marseille very well, just a really good steady two way player who contributed more than on the scoresheet.

On my list, of course, it should be Rene ROBERT. Even though they played different positions, Frans Nielsen reminds me a bit of Frank St. Marseille (unselfish and unassuming).

My fist recollection of watching hockey on TV was maybe the last televised game for Maurice Richard, even though he wasn't playing much by then. For those who watched Hockey Night in Canada in the 50s and 60s, Murray Westgate (who did the ESSO commercials) is still alive. Many people in the northern U.S. saw these games, but aerial reception would not have reached Long Island.

We got one televised game a week, in black and white of course, and it came on the air near the end of the first period or during the first intermission.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
On my list, of course, it should be Rene ROBERT. Even though they played different positions, Frans Nielsen reminds me a bit of Frank St. Marseille (unselfish and unassuming).

My fist recollection of watching hockey on TV was maybe the last televised game for Maurice Richard, even though he wasn't playing much by then. For those who watched Hockey Night in Canada in the 50s and 60s, Murray Westgate (who did the ESSO commercials) is still alive. Many people in the northern U.S. saw these games, but aerial reception would not have reached Long Island.

We got one televised game a week, in black and white of course, and it came on the air near the end of the first period or during the first intermission.

Living here in upstate New York, went to a lot of Sabres games when they came into the league in 1970, also trips to Maple Leaf Gardens so was able to see in person all the players at that time..Since their radio signal was strong, became a Leafs fan in around 1957. Switched to the Islanders when they entered the NHL, the family would spend the summer weekends on Long Island back in those days at relatives and becoming an Islander fan was a natural.

Saw the French Connection Line play at the Aud many times and at the Coliseum.

Was at the Aud the first time the Islanders won in Buffalo, a 3-0 shut out for Chico Resch. The Islanders played about a flawless game that night, Buffalo had only a couple of decent scoring chances.

camper*

Ferguson
Richard
Probert
Matt Martin:nod:
Nystrom:nod:
Hextall
Clarke
Robinson
Bower
C.Gillies:nod:

tag0519

Jan 28, 2013
Gretzky
Bossy
Yzerman
Ray Bourque
Lafleur
Trottier
Potvin
Nicklas Lidstrom
Datsyuk
The Stastny Brothers

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
in no real order

Rick DiPietro
Brendan Witt
John Tavares
Peter Forsberg
Alexander Ovechkin
Pavel Datsyuk
Dominik Hasek
Sergei Fedorov
Zenon Konopka
Kyle Okposo/Matt Martin

nc1972

Jun 3, 2006
Top Ten Plus

These players always had you on the edge of your seat.

1 Bobby Orr
2 Denis Potvin
3 Mike Bossy
4 Bryan Trottier
5 Gilbert Perreault
6 Bobby Hull
7 Pavel Bure
8 Denis Savard
9 Guy Lafleur
10 Yvan Cournoyer
11 Rick MacLeish
12 Paul Coffey
13 Mickey Redmond
14&15 The Plager Brothers :)

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Nystrom-cause he scored the winner that started it all
Trottier
Bossy
Potvin
Smith
Gillies
Turgeon
Palffy
Pilon
Jonsson ( not jorgen)
Aucoin

Next tier
Lafontaine
Bourne
Morrow
Cairns
Bates
Brian curran
Vukota
Baumgartner
Dubi
Haley
Stefan persson

So if they are not NYI I don't care. My favs are from my fav team

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013
These players always had you on the edge of your seat.

1 Bobby Orr
2 Denis Potvin
3 Mike Bossy
4 Bryan Trottier
5 Gilbert Perreault
6 Bobby Hull
7 Pavel Bure
8 Denis Savard
9 Guy Lafleur
10 Yvan Cournoyer
11 Rick MacLeish
12 Paul Coffey
13 Mickey Redmond
14&15 The Plager Brothers :)

Yvonne Corn-Y.A. lol! The dynasty before the dynasty, how could I forget? I was a big Ken Dryden fan when I was a kid. Which reminds me, I don't remember seeing Larry Robinson's name? There's an injustice if there ever was one.

While I'm here: Theo Fleury - fun, fun FUN!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad