How Many Is Too Many? Caledonia Corvairs

Konrad

Feb 6, 2014
Toronto

Difficult problem to solve when it comes down to it. HC cannot "police" every aspect under it's umbrella. There needs to be some self-governing amongst each league. In other words the GOJHL does need to implement some restraints here. But money talks and that is the bottom line.
There is no use pretending that Caledonia cares about developing players, it is about winning (at all cost). But who suffers?, the rest of the league because they can't compete?...maybe, but some would argue that better competition makes everyone stronger...The players who are finishing their careers?...they're probably enjoying themselves and the money they are getting to maybe get a start on the rest of their lives.
The owners are doing what they're allowed to do with maybe a little tweaking here and there...but that is how they have become successful businessmen in the first place (more or less)...what about the coach and staff??
Bullard is a top-flight coach with an NHL background and could easily move to the next level...but why would he when the money is coming in like it is. I bet he would love to take control and put development back into their program but my guess is he has no say in the matter. I feel bad for him because with his background he must realize that the Corvairs, the owners, players, staff....are simply NOT bigger than the game itself and they are not doing right by the game when they put winning above everything else in a league that claims to be a development league.

RocketGirl

Feb 4, 2016
I had this submitted to me as a potential solution to the situation.

GOJHL Rule change that need immediate implementation are simple.

If you are on an active roster of a CHL team ( OHL, QMJHL or WHL) roster as a19 year old at Dec 1st; You are therefore ineligible to participate in the GOJHL as a 20 year old player.

** This league rule and format was adopted by the CCHL and basically says that our league is about player development to US College Hockey‎ and to major Junior hockey; Not reverse methodology and player recruitment.

Gr8northscout

Aug 29, 2012
Ontario

If you are on an active roster of a CHL team ( OHL, QMJHL or WHL) roster as a19 year old at Dec 1st; You are therefore ineligible to participate in the GOJHL as a 20 year old player.

** This league rule and format was adopted by the CCHL and basically says that our league is about player development to US College Hockey‎ and to major Junior hockey; Not reverse methodology and player recruitment.

I definitely agree with your post. Caledonia is just a bunch of rich guys buying a championship. No place for that in hockey.

cchltier1fan

May 23, 2013

To my knowledge CCHL does not have this rule but they do have a cap that only six 20 year olds can dress in any game.

RocketGirl

Feb 4, 2016
I don't know the CCHL rules, that was just what was emailed to me from someone in the GOJHL. It's a good idea and I like it.

Another idea is that you can only return from the OHL as a 20 year old if you have played previously in the GOJHL.

There's a lot of ideas floating around and I know the powers that be will come up with something during the off-season.

Ballroomblitz

May 22, 2012
If they wish to preach that they are in it for development, then limit the number of 20 year olds to a reasonable number like 5.

Evening the board makes it better for competition across the league, 20 year old ex-OHL players are ineligible for NCAA D1 and are best to go CIS and use their education money. Same with 20 year old Jr. A players, had their shot go CIS and be done with it. They are not for the most part going anywhere higher now in hockey they had their chance, don't take spots of younger kids who can possibly move up the ranks in future whether it be Jr. A, OHL or NCAA D1 or D3.

20 year olds have to fit within the 5 player limit per team, otherwise move on.

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
1300 CHL games played on that roster. lmao is winning Junior C titles means that much to you

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Interesting, never considered that B wouldn't have an OA rule.
Pretty simple fix though, cap the number at ~5 like others have suggested + have eligibility restrictions similar to JrC, that to be eliglble for an OA spot a player must have been carded in the GOJHL as of the trade deadline the year previous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->