How many goals would Auston Matthews score playing on McDavids wing?

How many goals would Auston Matthews score playing on McDavids wing?

• 80+

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • 75+

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • 70+

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • 65+

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 60+

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • 55+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50+

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Less than 50.

Votes: 10 14.1%

• Total voters

Dust

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Who's the other winger? McDavid and some random...65-70. McDavid and Marner 75-80.

I don't think McDavid and Marner would work on the same line. McDavid, Matthews, and just some grinder to dig out lose pucks to them.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Probably pace for around 70. I don't think we'd see that much of a change vs his peak goal production. Yeah, McDavid is great, but now one of them is forced to move out of their natural position. And it's not like Matthews has been hurting for linemates who can make plays... You could do a lot worse than having one of Mitch Marner or William Nylander on your wings at all times. He's already in a fairly optimal setup for scoring in bunches.

I don't think McDavid and Marner would work on the same line. McDavid, Matthews, and just some grinder to dig out lose pucks to them.
Hyman would be the obvious choice

Reactions: PuckG

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Around the same. He plays with Marner now. Only one puck, etc. They’d be best served splitting up at even strength and uniting on the powerplay and occasionally when down a goal late.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Probably pace for around 70. I don't think we'd see that much of a change vs his peak goal production. Yeah, McDavid is great, but now one of them is forced to move out of their natural position. And it's not like Matthews has been hurting for linemates who can make plays... You could do a lot worse than having one of Mitch Marner or William Nylander on your wings at all times. He's already in a fairly optimal setup for scoring in bunches.

Hyman would be the obvious choice

Depends. If he was with McDavid at ES and the powerplay, and he’s relatively healthy for 82 games? I could legit see 75-80+. This is also factoring in that he would consistently see more time on the powerplay as well. As it stands I could see him getting 70 in Toronto in a full healthy season anyway.

peconcan

Apr 24, 2020
How about in 2025-2026 Knies McDavid 34. Don’t really think we will sign him but if he makes it to free agency being as JT contract will be up Leafs should for sure make a pitch as will every other team in the league

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Matthews does do a lot of puck retrieval himself. Would be crazy to have Draisaitl on the other wing

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
With scoring being up, I think Matthews has it in him to hit 70+. I've been saying it since the off season, and he's on pace for it so far, so I hope he can keep it up.

That's without McDavid of course.

I don't think McDavid would necessarily add a ton a goals. Few reasons:

1. If they were on the same team, it'd be best to have them on 2 separate lines
2. If they were on same line, if anything McDavid might score more goals as opposition scrambles to cover both, it wouldn't necessarily be Matthew's goals that rise up, maybe more his assists.

So if I believe Matthews can score 70+ without McDavid...i guess i'll say 75+ with him. In a perfect storm/peak season, he wouldn't do it every year of course. I think his point total would benefit more than just his goal total.

Reactions: authentic

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
75+.

It’d be unfair. Matthews digs out pucks and sends McDavid off, McDavid draws guys in and sauces to and open Matthews. For the lulz Matthews is also a good face off guy and defensive player as well.

Reactions: authentic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad