How many goals, assists, and points do you expect from Matthews this season?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I expect him to push for 50. I'll be happy with 40 goals.

I expect him to get more assists as well because that's something he's been working on going back couple seasons. So 56 game schedule, I go with 30 like the OP.

That leads to a 70 point season in 56 games - 1.25PPG.

If he hits the 50 goal mark with 30 assists, that's 80 points - 1.43PPG.

He has lost weight, he will be more lean and definitely quicker on the ice. I think we will see him deking players 1 on 1 more often in neutral zone while he's starting rush and making way to Blue line. Reminiscent of Nylander and Marner.

I'm excited to see fruits of Matthews training with McDavid.

Last edited:
Reactions: saffronleaf

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Scoring at a 60 goal pace seems pretty ridiculous with it being done 2 times since 2005. Still Matthews is a top 3 goal scorer in the league and the Canadian division is pretty weak with no legit contender besides the leafs(should the chemistry issues be resolved)

I'm going to predict a little lower on goals and see his play making improved

37 goals, 36 assists for 73 points in 56 games

54 goal and 53 assist pace over 82 games

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Scoring at a 60 goal pace seems pretty ridiculous with it being done 2 times since 2005. Still Matthews is a top 3 goal scorer in the league and the Canadian division is pretty weak with no legit contender besides the leafs(should the chemistry issues be resolved)

Definitely, I was setting the standard very high. But I legit think he's the best goal scorer in the league right now. So... gotta do the amazing things that happen only once in a while.

Matthews can be a great playmaker, but I think he needs the right linemates for it. Marner and Thornton are both pass-first. I think a Matthews-Nylander tandem would see Matthews rack up a lot more assists.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Definitely, I was setting the standard very high. But I legit think he's the best goal scorer in the league right now. So... gotta do the amazing things that happen only once in a while.

Matthews can be a great playmaker, but I think he needs the right linemates for it. Marner and Thornton are both pass-first. I think a Matthews-Nylander tandem would see Matthews rack up a lot more assists.
I agree however Nylander is great with JT too. So I think Marner will make the choice for us. If he can flip back to JT and replicate his contract year, Nylander can play with Auston and Jumbo.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

True but I think if Matthews is going for that pace range of 60+ goals, Marner is the guy for him to play with.

PP time will definitely be the make or break. I'm really hoping they call games loose in the Canadian division.

nightranger

Jan 3, 2021

While I think AM challenges for the lead saying the Leafs are the only good team in the North is laughable.
Vancouver easily has the best D and their offense without TT was not far behind the Leafs.
Our taxi squad will have actual NHL players not fodder like the Leafs are gonna have.
Nucks were one win away from the conference finals with easily the hardest path. I take nothing away from Marky but he was not the reason we did well, it was our young core dominating in their playoff debuts.
When it comes to goaltending, yes it's a wild-card but Ian Clark is a God with a resume that speaks for itself.
With the improved D and the likely fact of natural internal improvement, we really just need middle of the pack goaltending. Like the Leafs we can dominate offensively.
Personally I see it as a two- horse-race between the Leafs and Nucks and I pray we meet in the 2nd round like the good old Smythe division days. Best of luck.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
While I think AM challenges for the lead saying the Leafs are the only good team in the North is laughable.
Vancouver easily has the best D and their offense without TT was not far behind the Leafs.
Our taxi squad will have actual NHL players not fodder like the Leafs are gonna have.
Nucks were one win away from the conference finals with easily the hardest path. I take nothing away from Marky but he was not the reason we did well, it was our young core dominating in their playoff debuts.
When it comes to goaltending, yes it's a wild-card but Ian Clark is a God with a resume that speaks for itself.
With the improved D and the likely fact of natural internal improvement, we really just need middle of the pack goaltending. Like the Leafs we can dominate offensively.
Personally I see it as a two- horse-race between the Leafs and Nucks and I pray we meet in the 2nd round like the good old Smythe division days. Best of luck.

I probably wouldn't make a habit of pumping the Canucks tires on other team boards if I were you.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
He'll win the rocket this year because that's what leafs do, troll everybody by doing things in a shortened season so everyone else can tell us how there's an asterisk beside it.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I'd like to see him hit 40g, 30a, 70p. In 82 games, that translates to 59g, 44a, 103p.
He might lead the league in shots with two of the best passing wingers in the league beside him. I think he will be high 30’s in goals. If he hit 40 goals i would guess that would see him take the Rocket Trophy. I will actually guess on this one.
39 goals and 32 assists = 71 points

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I expect him to push for 50. I'll be happy with 40 goals.

I expect him to get more assists as well because that's something he's been working on going back couple seasons. So 56 game schedule, I go with 30 like the OP.

That leads to a 70 point season in 56 games - 1.25PPG.

If he hits the 50 goal mark with 30 assists, that's 80 points - 1.43PPG.

He has lost weight, he will be more lean and definitely quicker on the ice. I think we will see him deking players 1 on 1 more often in neutral zone while he's starting rush and making way to Blue line. Reminiscent of Nylander and Marner.

I'm excited to see fruits of Matthews training with McDavid.
I didn’t know he was lightening up. How did you hear that?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think the Canucks are good too. Second best team in the Canadian division. Second to Leafs is about best you can hope for :)

Once

Jul 16, 2010
I won't make a guess but his eye is on that Rocket for sure. I would rather a cup of course...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad