How many games will the Kings have to lose to get the best odds at the #1 pick?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
After the games of 12/13/18:

Chicago is on pace for slot #30 at 62 points, making the Kings' target 61 points. That would allow them to get 37 points in their remaining 49 games, for a record of 17-29-3, or a percentage of .378. For comparison, their current percentage is .364 on the season.

Reactions: BigBrown

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Who knows if Dean wouldve taken Stamkos over Doughty if they picked 1st.Futa I believe was interviewed on this and said Doughty wouldve been their choice regardless of picking first overall.Organization is the only ones who know the truth.

Maybe they would've gone Stamkos/Karlsson.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If you’re a fan back to the Gretzky days, you know the danger of holding onto players too long post success. It lengthens the dark years.

Better to start from scratch without baggage.

I agree, but they do need to ice an actual NHL team and a few veterans mixed in there to help mentor whatever prospects they acquire in the coming years. We can debate on who should stay/go of course.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
After the games of 12/17/18, the Blackhawks are on pace for a 61-point season, meaning the Kings would get the best odds of the #1 pick if they get no more than 35 points in their remaining 48 games. This translates to a record of 16-29-3, or a percentage of .365 -- the Kings' current percentage is .368.

(For comparison, in order to project into the playoffs, the Kings would need to pass Vegas for WC2, and go 32-13-3 - a percentage of .698)

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Hans is going to tell Bill Daly to make sure the Kings get the #1 pick overall, or Hans is going to count to three, and there will not be a four.

Last edited:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Despite the fluke win last night, the Kings remain in 31st due to the Blackhawks also wining over Nashville.

Chicago is on pace for 64 points, allowing the Kings a maximum of 36 points in their remaining 47 games - a record of 16-27-4 and a percentage of .383 (the Kings' current percentage is .386).

(Playoffs would require a record of 31-13-3, a percentage of .691)

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
(Playoffs would require a record of 31-13-3, a percentage of .691)

Hey Hans, is playoffs still theoretically possible? (has any other team done this or come close to this big of a turn around this late into the season?)

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Hey Hans, is playoffs still theoretically possible? (has any other team done this or come close to this big of a turn around this late into the season?)

Please delete. I tried to post a Jim Mora (playoffs??) gif but of course I f***ed it up somehow.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
The Kings playoff chances doubled to .8% after defeating Vegas today.

Wasn't there some Miracle Mets thing in baseball back in the late 60s/early 70s?

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Considering the top 5 teams in the Pacific have 1 win in their last 15 games combined (and none in 10), I'd say the Kings should aim for the division title, never mind just getting into the playoffs. :thumbu:

This division is terrible right now.

Reactions: Faterson

tigermask48

Maniacal Laugh
Mar 10, 2004
R'Lyeh, Antarctica
The Kings playoff chances doubled to .8% after defeating Vegas today.

Wasn't there some Miracle Mets thing in baseball back in the late 60s/early 70s?

1969 New York Mets. But that had as much if not more to do with the Cubs epic implosion as it did with the Mets going on a run.

It also gave us one of my favorite sports photos ever:
ap542714981358.jpg

Cubs led the NL East all season and then that happened and the Cubs go on to lose 18 of their final 27 games, lose the division to the Mets who go on to win the world series.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Considering the top 5 teams in the Pacific have 1 win in their last 15 games combined (and none in 10), I'd say the Kings should aim for the division title, never mind just getting into the playoffs. :thumbu:

This division is terrible right now.
The Pathetic Division is the worst in the NHL, and will be for a while. Just 5 years ago the most feared road trip in the NHL was the swing through San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim. Now it's a vacation. These things go in cycles. It's time for the California teams to shed their older players on bloated contracts and rebuild.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Based on last night's game of US vs. Slovakia, #LoseForHughes is a more than worthy effort. 17-year-old kid with a cage over his face was making all the 20-year-olds' heads spin.

Reactions: KINGS17

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Based on last night's game of US vs. Slovakia, #LoseForHughes is a more than worthy effort. 17-year-old kid with a cage over his face was making all the 20-year-olds' heads spin.
I’ve read some scouting reports where they compare him to Patrick Kane but with more speed and better edge work? Wtf, I remember Kane absolutely making defenses look silly during their cup run! If we’re lucky enough to get this kid it Would be one of the most impactful things to happen to this franchise since we lucked into Kopitar. Did I mention he has more speed than Kane and better edge work!!

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The Pathetic Division is the worst in the NHL, and will be for a while. Just 5 years ago the most feared road trip in the NHL was the swing through San Jose, Los Angeles, and Anaheim. Now it's a vacation. These things go in cycles. It's time for the California teams to shed their older players on bloated contracts and rebuild.

The west coast is getting aged out and the style has changed around the league. Too bad we didn't have a GM who saw this coming and prepared for it.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
The west coast is getting aged out and the style has changed around the league. Too bad we didn't have a GM who saw this coming and prepared for it.

Style has nothing to do with it. Every single West coast team that is struggling has one important thing in common, an aging core that is past it's prime. The Sharks atm are the exception

All of them also are waiting for younger guys to take hold of the team.

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Style has nothing to do with it. Every single West coast team that is struggling has one important thing in common, an aging core that is past it's prime.

Looking forward to the day when a team with the biggest forwards in the NHL just mashes a small fast team in the playoffs. The narrative will change again.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Looking forward to the day when a team with the biggest forwards in the NHL just mashes a small fast team in the playoffs. The narrative will change again.

Remember all the Canucks fans gloating at us saying how slow the 2012 Kings team was... I do.

Once the games started I recall hearing the CBC guys saying "Wow this Kings team is fast and grinds you up".

This all goes in cycles, some GM will find some gems with the right size/speed/IQ combo and boom.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Style has nothing to do with it. Every single West coast team that is struggling has one important thing in common, an aging core that is past it's prime. The Sharks atm are the exception

Sharks are aging out too, just not as bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->