How many games will the Kings have to lose to get the best odds at the #1 pick?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
As of the morning of 12/10/18, Chicago has the worst winning percentage in the league, projected at 61 standings points. Therefore, in order to secure the highest odds of the top pick, the Kings need to get no more than 37 points in their remaining 52 games - or a record of 18-31-1 (a winning percentage of .356)

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
We can lose all games from now to April, it won't be worth anything if we'll have Vancouver's lottery luck.

Also, I expect teams like Chicago, Ottawa and New Jersey to fall below us, maybe Detroit too.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
We can lose all games from now to April, it won't be worth anything if we'll have Vancouver's lottery luck.
Right - which is why in the very first post on this thread I said "let's just take all that discussion as read, shall we?"
Or do I just need to adjust the thread title so someone doesn't attempt to make this point every time I do an update?

Reactions: KingTrouty

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008
If we get a top 2 pick I'll be happy, I feel like Kaapo Kakko will be a great and equal pick if we miss out on Hughes.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I have this gut feeling the Rangers somehow are going to win the lottery and get first overall. In any case, certainly Double K would be a sweet consolation prize if the Kings get second.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
After a blip against the Knights for some reason, the Kings did their job and got back into a tie for last with the Hawks. Tonight, Kings are in Buffalo, Hawks are in Winnipeg. Big night boys! Go get 'em! Work hard in the corners! Dig deep!

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I'm thinking that nothing will stop CHI from getting the #1 pick as long as they are able to participate in the lottery. CHI is the league's darling....and the league needs a good reason for fans to watch the Winter Classic every year.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'm thinking that nothing will stop CHI from getting the #1 pick as long as they are able to participate in the lottery. CHI is the league's darling....and the league needs a good reason for fans to watch the Winter Classic every year.

If the league didn't put Matthews in Arizona when they had the chance, a franchise the league has owned, and he instead went to Toronto of all places, a franchise that needs 0% help in terms of making money, I don't believe in any NHL conspiracy. Interesting coincidences, sure.

If the Hawks get the pick, they get the pick. If the Kings get it, there will be conspiracy theories about that too. Hollywood. Don't want a former champ down too long. The fans didn't really boo Bettman at center ice. Whatever it might be.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
After the games of 12/12/18:

The Blackhawks broke their 8-game losing streak, jumping back ahead of the Kings, and moving their pace to 61 points for the season. That makes the Kings' target 60 points, giving them 50 games in which to get no more than 36 points - a winning percentage of .360, or a record of 17-31-2.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I absolutely believe they need to sell off some (preferably big cap hit/older) assets, not for the purpose of tanking but to get legit prospects and picks to turn this team around (hopefully, relatively) quickly.

I also hate the idea of finishing last, even if it means missing out on Hughes. I would by far prefer this team climbs out of the bottom and finishes the season strong, then takes their chances with the lottery.

To me, showing that at least this roster - minus whomever they move, plus who they get in return - is capable of being better than terrible bodes better for the future than being completely terrible and drafting a superstar.

Plus, the hope that one superstar is going to make a very bad team great instantly defies recent history. Toronto drafted Marner, Reilly, Kadri, Nylander before they got Matthews. Edmonton ... no need to repeat their struggles. Buffalo got Eichel but took until now to find success after adding Dahlin, Skinner and other pieces.

So pardon me if I cheer L.A. wins and moan at their losses, if nothing else, out of respect for the players that permitted me to enjoy watching two Stanley Cup wins that for a long time I never thought I'd see.

Reactions: Fat Elvis

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m at the point where I want players to have more value at the deadline.

Drafting:
Hughes

Kakko
Podkolzin

Dach
Cozens

I’ll be happy with one but I want Hughes.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
It's gonna be 2007 all over again, with the Hawks finishing 5th and jumping over everyone to get the top pick. Now we just have to find the 2019 version of Thomas Hickey with our pick.:(
My money is on Pittsburgh, because hockey can't survive there without the #1 overall getting drafted by the Penguins around every 15-20 years.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I absolutely believe they need to sell off some (preferably big cap hit/older) assets, not for the purpose of tanking but to get legit prospects and picks to turn this team around (hopefully, relatively) quickly.

I also hate the idea of finishing last, even if it means missing out on Hughes. I would by far prefer this team climbs out of the bottom and finishes the season strong, then takes their chances with the lottery.

To me, showing that at least this roster - minus whomever they move, plus who they get in return - is capable of being better than terrible bodes better for the future than being completely terrible and drafting a superstar.

Plus, the hope that one superstar is going to make a very bad team great instantly defies recent history. Toronto drafted Marner, Reilly, Kadri, Nylander before they got Matthews. Edmonton ... no need to repeat their struggles. Buffalo got Eichel but took until now to find success after adding Dahlin, Skinner and other pieces.

So pardon me if I cheer L.A. wins and moan at their losses, if nothing else, out of respect for the players that permitted me to enjoy watching two Stanley Cup wins that for a long time I never thought I'd see.

If you’re a fan back to the Gretzky days, you know the danger of holding onto players too long post success. It lengthens the dark years.

Better to start from scratch without baggage.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
I’m at the point where I want players to have more value at the deadline.

Drafting:
Hughes

Kakko
Podkolzin

Dach
Cozens

I’ll be happy with one but I want Hughes.

We'll need about 5 first round picks! Not impossible.....

1) We'd have to make 4 trades with teams eligible for the draft lottery.

2) We'd have to trade Carter & Quick & Kopitar & Muzzin.

3) It can be done. Not to mention trading Kovalchuk, Martinez, Phaneuf, & Lewis. Keep Doughty & Brown, though (IMHO).....

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
We'll need about 5 first round picks! Not impossible.....

1) We'd have to make 4 trades with teams eligible for the draft lottery.

2) We'd have to trade Carter & Quick & Kopitar & Muzzin.

3) It can be done. Not to mention trading Kovalchuk, Martinez, Phaneuf, & Lewis. Keep Doughty & Brown, though (IMHO).....
Not saying draft all those guys. Those are tears. I don’t mind getting a lesser pick maybe, if you get better value in trades at the deadline.

Still, Hughes brings excitement and a new era. He, if he lives up to hype,would be a breath of fresh air to the organization. Still, this team needs to decide its style and grab a coach that can actually lead them.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I like the idea of getting as many first round picks this season. It would be cool to draft say 3 players in the first round and watch them develop together. We won't get 3 top 10 picks of course, but one 1st rounder in the top 5, and then some bottom 1st rounders would be great as well.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Could make a case for getting 2020 first rounders instead, that class is scary, beyond Lafreniére. Might make teams more inclined to trade 2019 picks.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I like the idea of getting as many first round picks this season. It would be cool to draft say 3 players in the first round and watch them develop together. We won't get 3 top 10 picks of course, but one 1st rounder in the top 5, and then some bottom 1st rounders would be great as well.
Brown, Boyle, and Tambellini here we come!!

Let's hope Blake can do better than that if he gets three picks in the first round. He should with what should be a pick no lower than top six.

Could make a case for getting 2020 first rounders instead, that class is scary, beyond Lafreniére. Might make teams more inclined to trade 2019 picks.

Taylor did this with Brown's draft class which was in 2003.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Arguably the best draft class of all time, DT walks out of Round 1 with Brown/Tambellini/Boyle.

So brutal. DL went out and picked up Carter/Richards to make up for it.

Was a stretch there where every Cup team had a significant contributor from that draft class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->