How Many ECHL Teams are on Their Deathbeds?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
yes,

I just posted Atlanta Motor Speedway will be fully operational by July, 2021, no cap on attendance or limits, Eddie, and that's Georgia, right near the Gladiators in Duluth... All indications are close to what they would be post March 2020 when North America shut down...

where has it been posted or stated that the 3 AHL Markets and the 14 ECHL Markets who elected to opt out with the blessing of both those leagues, nevermind the blessing of the PHPA, as you're seeing the pushback from the PHPA over the Pacific Division hosting a bubble type tourney past 5/16/21.

all opted out teams may not be as active as they usually would be this time of year, but they are to that market.

First of all, that's motorsports in a state packed with rubes who didn't want to believe Covid-19 was real.

I think those teams will be active, but I think people are going to be inclined to stay away from crowded public spaces for a while, and it's going to hurt the industry.

Reactions: bleedblue94

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
First of all, that's motorsports in a state packed with rubes who didn't want to believe Covid-19 was real.

I think those teams will be active, but I think people are going to be inclined to stay away from crowded public spaces for a while, and it's going to hurt the industry.
nope, otherwise why have a professional league at any level below the NHL, Eddie..... pro sports simply aren't fading away no matter what sport and whether it's a capped fan attendance or full attendance.... as that's the trend that's becoming more and more commonplace in any industry.... not just this forum... but ANY Industry that employs anyone....

it was just announced that LL Bean IS OPENING back to never closing its main store for any reason starting next week....

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
nope, otherwise why have a professional league at any level below the NHL, Eddie..... pro sports simply aren't fading away no matter what sport and whether it's a capped fan attendance or full attendance.... as that's the trend that's becoming more and more commonplace in any industry.... not just this forum... but ANY Industry that employs anyone....

it was just announced that LL Bean IS OPENING back to never closing its main store for any reason starting next week....

So what you're trying to say is that everyone will play next year and we won't see a significant drop in attendance?

Or that you're going to Freeport to buy a pair of boots and some khakis?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA

The point is, that just because an open air race track, and a clothing store are opening without attendance restrictions, doesn't mean everyone will return to attend minor league hockey in the same numbers as before. There is a big difference in the risk between an outdoor track and an indoor rink (plus the temperature difference). Also big difference between walking around a store for a short time vs sitting in seats next to the same person for 2-3 hours and moving around a potentially crowded concourse to get food or use the restroom. Also, people in different areas will act differently. The average Georgian may not be as concerned about Covid risk as the average New Yorker. Different industries/teams/locations will recover at different rates.

My wife is not normally a germaphobe, but she was very uncomfortable watching the NFL draft last night. The sight of crowds of people standing shoulder to shoulder was really bothering her - to the point that she got up and walked away from the screen a couple times. Unless there is a huge shift in attitude/behavior among the segment of the population who are currently refusing to get the vaccine or take precautions, I think it is unlikely she will be attending crowded events just because the buildings are open. She's a pretty liberal democrat, so there is a portion of the population she'd rather just avoid in general. Since those folks also tend to be covid deniers, I'm not going to be surprised if we end up with a lot of extra season tickets to give away next season. While everyone doesn't feel as strongly as her (me included), there are enough people who feel that way to have some impact on ticket sales, I'm sure.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Most every government is getting pressure to open up when the science doesn’t necessarily support it... or is so spread out that there’s no way anyone qualified can render a judgment otherwise. It’s not science doing the pressuring.

People sense that. People are going to react to that. That’s 3/4ths of the country, if the polls are correct.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
So like I was saying, I expect the dormant teams to come back, but I don't expect attendance to recover. I'd bet on a 20 to 30 percent drop next season in the markets that didn't play this year. I'd expect a little bump upwards in markets that did play and were open to fans, but it'll be a while before teams approach pre-pandemic levels. This is going to put a number of teams in bad financial positions, but such is life. Such is minor league hockey.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
So like I was saying, I expect the dormant teams to come back, but I don't expect attendance to recover. I'd bet on a 20 to 30 percent drop next season in the markets that didn't play this year. I'd expect a little bump upwards in markets that did play and were open to fans, but it'll be a while before teams approach pre-pandemic levels. This is going to put a number of teams in bad financial positions, but such is life. Such is minor league hockey.
Personally, as i stated in another thread, I do not think Newfie and TR will be able to return for next year due to canadian government and border restrictions. I think teams will see a bump, and I can see some teams that are able to open up to full capacity offering socially distanced sections. Atlanta is likely to go to full attendance for the next year

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Personally, as i stated in another thread, I do not think Newfie and TR will be able to return for next year due to canadian government and border restrictions. I think teams will see a bump, and I can see some teams that are able to open up to full capacity offering socially distanced sections. Atlanta is likely to go to full attendance for the next year
Help me with that bold part, please: How does a facility manage "full capacity" AND "socially distanced sections"? :huh:

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Help me with that bold part, please: How does a facility manage "full capacity" AND "socially distanced sections"? :huh:

And therein lies the rub. How do you handle concourses and concessions in such a set up? I guess we'll find out next season, won't we?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->