How many 3-in-3's does your team have this season?

Should the OHL limit the number of 3-in-3 weekends to a standard amount? (ex. 5/6 weekends a season)

• Total voters

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
As an Otters fan, we have 8, 3-in-3 weekends this season. I was just curious to see how many other teams have and if majority of them are home or away games.

I understand it's a business and travel takes time for the reason to do it. Obviously location plays a huge factor in 3-in-3 weekends as well.

I don't have time to look through each team individually so I wanted to post a thread to see what other teams felt.

Feel free to discuss.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
As an Otters fan, we have 8, 3-in-3 weekends this season. I was just curious to see how many other teams have and if majority of them are home or away games.

I understand it's a business and travel takes time for the reason to do it. Obviously location plays a huge factor in 3-in-3 weekends as well.

I don't have time to look through each team individually so I wanted to post a thread to see what other teams felt.

Feel free to discuss.
Have to remember teams send in their home dates and the league works around that - also each team gets to review the schedule before it is released and have an opportunity to request changes if they feel there is an issue - basically teams have a hand in the schedule and have agreed to it before it is released. No schedule is perfect for any team but it is the best that can be worked out taking into account various issues.

Reactions: OttersFan

OttersFan

Jan 6, 2018
Have to remember teams send in their home dates and the league works around that - also each team gets to review the schedule before it is released and have an opportunity to request changes if they feel there is an issue - basically teams have a hand in the schedule and have agreed to it before it is released. No schedule is perfect for any team but it is the best that can be worked out taking into account various issues.

I agree, there's so many factors that go into scheduling games. One year a team might have 8 and the next year they could have 5. I know a lot of people have discussed this in the past and just wanted to see how other teams feel about them. There's going to be no easy fix or reason to fix it. I made this thread out of curiosity is all.

The plus about having a 3-in-3 weekend with Erie is you can come to them, Niagara, Hamilton or even Kitchener with a pretty easy drive.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015

Considering 66% of Erie’s 3 in 3 games are on the road, I don’t think has much impact with their home schedule/requested home games.

Who is to say that it was actually worse for Erie before the release of the schedule and they requested a change. It’s also difficult to change when then other teams would have to agree to it too

Erie playing in 8 situations in one year while other teams play 0 or only 1/2 is a bit ludicrous

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Rangers have three this year.

However, over the last number of years, they have agreed to home Tuesday night games from time to time in an effort to minimize the 3 in 3’s. You would’ve never seen that years ago because it’s not a good night to get crowds out. However, with their almost full season ticket base, they can afford to take on the odd Tuesday night game, season ticket holders be damned, to minimize the 3 in 3’s.

The Rangers have four games this year at home on Tuesday nights. So, it makes sense that 3 in 3’s occur only three times this year. Without the Tuesday night games, there would likely be four more 3 in 3’s for the Rangers.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Eastern Conference 3-in-3's:

Oshawa, Kingston, Hamilton and Ottawa: 7
Mississauga and Niagara: 6
Peterborough: 5
Sudbury and Barrie: 4
North Bay: 2

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The 3 in 3's are necessary. Games are primarily played on weekends to allow for proper education time.

In addition, teams like Ottawa require those weekends in an effort to reduce travel. It would make no sense to go from Ottawa to Flint and Saginaw, then go back for Windsor and Sarnia, then back for London and Kitchener then back for Owen Sound and Guelph... etc. It makes much more sense to reduce the number of trips. Not to mention doing a SSM and Sudbury trip and not playing NB either on the way there or on the way back.

Ottawa used to do a 4 in 4 trip a while back. It was:
Windsor on Thursday
Sarnia and Plymouth/Detroit on Friday and Saturday
London Sunday afternoon.

That knocked out the entire far West for Ottawa in one trip!

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
as much as they suck for just about everyone involved, it’s the price they have to pay. the players know what they’re signing up for, and that’s a league focused on education as much as hockey. these 3 in 3s avoid them missing a day or 2 of school on a weekly basis

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
I'm working on a year by year comparison .. here's what we have for this season

3 in 3s by division

East
Hamilton 7
Kingston 8
Oshawa 6
Ottawa 7
Peterborough 4

Central
Barrie 4
Mississauga 6
Niagara 6
North Bay 2
Sudbury 4

Midwest
Erie 8
Guelph 6
Kitchener 4
London 5
Owen Sound 3

West
Flint 5
Saginaw 6
Sarnia 6
Sault Ste. Marie 0
Windsor 5

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
SSM having zero is weird. How do they not have at least like an Oshawa - Kingston - Ottawa or something like that lol. Most of the east teams are all just so far away from them that it makes sense to knock out their eastern trips in 3 in 3s.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
SSM having zero is weird. How do they not have at least like an Oshawa - Kingston - Ottawa or something like that lol. Most of the east teams are all just so far away from them that it makes sense to knock out their eastern trips in 3 in 3s.
Thursday/Friday/Sunday Peterborough/Kingston/Ottawa

They do Oshawa/Hamilton/Guelph on Friday/Saturday/Monday of Family day weekend

Reactions: WaW

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Thursday/Friday/Sunday Peterborough/Kingston/Ottawa

They do Oshawa/Hamilton/Guelph on Friday/Saturday/Monday of Family day weekend

Makes sense...I guess they do Owen Sound in a 2 game weekend with Barrie and Erie in a 2 game weekend with Niagara?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad