how many 100 pt seasons for mcdavid?

how many total 100 pt seasons for mcdavid?

• Total voters

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
If he stays almost completely healthy going forward I will say 12. But I voted 10 because noone in the Nhl stays completely healthy

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He already has 4 and one of those in a 56 game season. Still only 24. Hard to imagine him not getting atleast 4 more.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It sucks that he missed out on one last season because of the Covid stoppage or else he would've had a streak of 5 seasons in a row already.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gretzky has 14 seasons of 100+ pts (his first 13)

McDavid already has 4 and it would be 5 if no Covid, he was on pace for 124 pts last year. So basically only missed in his 18-19 y/o rookie season but only played 45 games anyway

Just has to stay healthy to pot another 10+ IMO. Generational players usually don't decline at a young age but of course, it all depends on injuries

I'd love to see McDavid break that Gretzky record

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Crosby is always a good comparable for McDavid

Crosby had 4 100 points season through 6 seasons (paced for 6, but injuries)
McDavid has 4 100 point seasons through 6 seasons (paced for 5th last year, but Covid)

Crosby has 6 overall, 16 years into his career. I think if you had asked that question back then for Crosby, no one would have guess at only 6. Injuries/scoring going down are why.

I'll be optimistic and say 9 for McDavid - but sometimes it's really hard to predict what may happen unexpectedly.

Reactions: abo9 and 63 others

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Gretzky has 14 seasons of 100+ pts (his first 13)

McDavid already has 4 and it would be 5 if no Covid, he was on pace for 124 pts last year. So basically only missed in his 18-19 y/o rookie season but only played 45 games anyway

Just has to stay healthy to pot another 10+ IMO. Generational players usually don't decline at a young age but of course, it all depends on injuries

I'd love to see McDavid break that Gretzky record

Gretzky actually has 15. I know because I just checked before even seeing your post, was curious. You're probably forgetting 1995-1996 where he was traded mid-year, but still finished with 102 points.

For reference, here's the all-time leaders of 100 point seasons:

Gretzky 15
Lemieux 10
Dionne 8
Bossy + Stastny 7
Then a bunch of players at 6 (Orr, Crosby, Hawerchuk, Kurri, Lafleur, Esposito, Trottier, Sakic, Yzerman & Messier)
Then Jagr, Coffey and Denis Savard at 5

Than of course McDavid and a bunch of others at 4

I'm actually surprised by this list upon looking it up - I thought more players would have more 100 points season in high scoring 80s and 90s, these numbers are lower than I expected.

McDavid in my opinion has 0 chance to surpass Gretzky at 15. He'd have to hit 100 point every single season until and including age 36. Crosby just hit 16 straight seasons above ppg, which is an all-time record for start of career, so that consistency is already super rare - and you'd want to McDavid to surpass even that. Plus - his game is very heavily reliant on speed, and so that might age a bit less good than other generation talents (like Gretzky/Lemieux/Crosby).

I think #2 - Lemieux at 10 - is a possible target - but everything would have to go right. Very good chance he at least matches Dionne at #3 though. I guessed at 9

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Gretzky actually has 15. I know because I just checked before even seeing your post, was curious. You're probably forgetting 1995-1996 where he was traded mid-year, but still finished with 102 points.

For reference, here's the all-time leaders of 100 point seasons:

Gretzky 15
Lemieux 10
Dionne 8
Bossy + Stastny 7
Then a bunch of players at 6 (Orr, Crosby, Hawerchuk, Kurri, Lafleur, Esposito, Trottier, Sakic, Yzerman & Messier)
Then Jagr, Coffey and Denis Savard at 5

Than of course McDavid and a bunch of others at 4

I'm actually surprised by this list upon looking it up - I thought more players would have more 100 points season in high scoring 80s and 90s, these numbers are lower than I expected.

McDavid in my opinion has 0 chance to surpass Gretzky at 15. He'd have to hit 100 point every single season until and including age 36. Crosby just hit 16 straight seasons above ppg, which is an all-time record for start of career, so that consistency is already super rare - and you'd want to McDavid to surpass even that. Plus - his game is very heavily reliant on speed, and so that might age a bit less good than other generation talents (like Gretzky/Lemieux/Crosby).

I think #2 - Lemieux at 10 - is a possible target - but everything would have to go right. Very good chance he at least matches Dionne at #3 though. I guessed at 9

True, didn't see the 1995-96 season, then it gets even less likely that McDavid breaks that particular record. I'm not a bigger Gretzky or McDavid fan, just love hockey and it's awesome to see all-time greats play.

Crosby is also an all-time great, 16 straight seasons above PPG to start a career is incredible but McDavid should also do that quite easily. He has already has 6 and still 24 y/o. Trust me, I take Crosby over McDavid if I want to build my team, but speaking of production, I'm taking McDavid.

I don't think everything "has to go right". McDavid is a supreme offensive player, I think he only has to stay healthy, I think he'll still be an incredible skater up to 35 if he remains healthy. What he is able to do in this day and age with today's athletes, and particularly goalies, is insane. I mean, guys like MacKinnon and Kucherov are also incredible players but still clearly behind him in terms of productions. The game got so much faster and overall talent has evolved a lot, and so many european players in the NHL has certainly played a part.

Anyway, I don't care much, not trying to spend time on this debate. IMO, I think McDavid could easily pot 12+ seasons over 100 pts. I'm not a McDavid/Oilers fan whatsoever.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
True, didn't see the 1995-96 season, then it gets even less likely that McDavid breaks that particular record. I'm not a bigger Gretzky or McDavid fan, just love hockey and it's awesome to see all-time greats play.

Crosby is also an all-time great, 16 straight seasons above PPG to start a career is incredible but McDavid should also do that quite easily. He has already has 6 and still 24 y/o. Trust me, I take Crosby over McDavid if I want to build my team, but speaking of production, I'm taking McDavid.

I don't think everything "has to go right". McDavid is a supreme offensive player, I think he only has to stay healthy, I think he'll still be an incredible skater up to 35 if he remains healthy. What he is able to do in this day and age with today's athletes, and particularly goalies, is insane. I mean, guys like MacKinnon and Kucherov are also incredible players but still clearly behind him in terms of productions. The game got so much faster and overall talent has evolved a lot, and so many european players in the NHL has certainly played a part.

Anyway, I don't care much, not trying to spend time on this debate. IMO, I think McDavid could easily pot 12+ seasons over 100 pts. I'm not a McDavid/Oilers fan whatsoever.

By everything going right I just meant:

- No big injuries (Crosby had a bunch)
- No more big shortened season impact (like Covid, or lockout, or Zombie apocalypse - who knows). Clearly that didn't stop him this year, but it did last year
- Unexpectedly scoring going down in league. He'll still score 100 points if scoring goes down the next few years while near his peak, but by the time he hits 30 or more, if scoring goes way down, that becomes harder

I think he has a chance at 10 but he needs good luck/fortunes to help him along. We'll see

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
its actually insane to say that a modern day NHLer could have 10 freaking 100+ point seasons but that's what I voted on. I can see him winning 2 after 30 so he needs 4 more in the next 6 years.. very very doable. Realistically I could have voted for 12 but I just don't think it's possible for him to not ever get hurt the way he plays.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
By everything going right I just meant:

- No big injuries (Crosby had a bunch)
- No more big shortened season impact (like Covid, or lockout, or Zombie apocalypse - who knows). Clearly that didn't stop him this year, but it did last year
- Unexpectedly scoring going down in league. He'll still score 100 points if scoring goes down the next few years while near his peak, but by the time he hits 30 or more, if scoring goes way down, that becomes harder

I think he has a chance at 10 but he needs good luck/fortunes to help him along. We'll see

No of course, if a lot of things go against him, it will hurt his chances but if "things stay the same", he'll easily have 10+ seasons over 100 pts

The league doesn't want scoring to go down, they actually always want the opposite so I'm not too worried about that. Heck, I think they'd even make the nets larger if needed.

Mario would have had many more if it wasn't for health/injury problems

Gretzky, Lemieux and McDavid are the 3 best offensive forwards of all time IMO. I don't think it will take a lot of good luck/fortune for him to join that prestigious club. He's freaking damn good. I don't think there's any NHLer who doesn't think he's a level above everybody else.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017

McDavid has 4 100 point seasons through 6 seasons (paced for 5th last year, but Covid)

Crosby has 6 overall, 16 years into his career. I think if you had asked that question back then for Crosby, no one would have guess at only 6. Injuries/scoring going down are why.

I'll be optimistic and say 9 for McDavid - but sometimes it's really hard to predict what may happen unexpectedly.

Yeah, Ovechkin too had 4 by 23 yearso old (or through 6 seasons) - then none, and Malkin 3 through 6 seasons - then none.

I'd say the recent increase in scoring will work in his favor, and him obliterating 100 pts (in a full 82 games season) this year make me hopeful that we'll see 3-4 more 100 pts seasons from him.
Superstars tend to peak a little earlier, so I think by 30 I'd be surprised if he still consistently put 100 +. I do question if he'll continue to get so many minutes on the ice, or how his speed will age, a decline in scoring in 5-6 years, maybe a lockout, etc.

He'll probably end up with more points than anyone I've seen play... more than Jagr maybe? :O

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Yea, I remember a similar question was asked after Crosby's 13-14 season and also about winning the Art Ross and it just seemed like he could run off another 4 or 5 and he only managed 1 with no Rosses. I think Crosby was particularly unlucky in terms of other factors, but usually those things do come up just like Covid stopped McDavid last year. Given the state of league scoring I'm more optimistic about McDavid, but I think some are getting carried away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad