How Low could Esposito and Cherepanov fall

Shaun_W_W

Jan 7, 2007
If either of them (especially the latter) falls past the Leafs I may just have to kill myself. Unfortunately I doubt that either of them will make it that far though.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I still think Esposito will go top 10. Not sure on Cherepanov but he played on a strong superleague team and had 18g in 47 games but the way things are at bringing over russians these days i would be surprised if he goes before the 2nd round.

1datsyuk3*

Dont see Cherepanov going any lower than where most people have him pegged (4/5) and would be absolutely shocked if he did

and the lowest I could see Espo falling is maybe to the 11/12 spot

1datsyuk3*

I still think Esposito will go top 10. Not sure on Cherepanov but he played on a strong superleague team and had 18g in 47 games but the way things are at bringing over russians these days i would be surprised if he goes before the 2nd round.

than prepare to be very very suprised unless i totally missed the sarcasm in your post

lol the avatar btw...

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
than prepare to be very very suprised unless i totally missed the sarcasm in your post

lol the avatar btw...
:handclap:
Yes i was kidding but my point is many teams are afraid of the problems drafting russians these days.

Kidding aside i think he goes past 6th,i can't see Lowe drafting him.

wetcoastwhale

Aug 12, 2005
SA
My uneducated 2 cents: I was thinking that a possible Schremp-like fall could be possible (not likely, but possible) for Esposito if teams really buy into the bad attitude or lazy tag that seems to have been put on him. I think Schremp's problems transitioning to the pro game (I think he was a healthy scratch a few times this season, if I'm not mistaken) might spook some teams if they are worried about Espo's attitude.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
i dont see cherepanov falling any lower then 6th

espo on the other hand. he could fall as far as 20-25 IMO.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Cherepanov won't last past the 5th rank !! There's no chance that Washington past on Cherepanov... they will absolutly jump on him if he's still available and there's alot of chance that he will. Ovechkin and Semin will probably be there on the stage to welcome him... just like Ovechkin did with Backstrom last year. You guys read it first here !! :teach:

As for Esposito, the Habs will jump on him at 12th if he's still available... many people have predict that already.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
It seems to me that only Red Line is hard on Cherepanov, so, I don't see him falling far, maybe 7th-8th, but I doubt that.

Esposito, could be a Schremp or a Frolik. Could be a team in the 7-12 range that thinks the upside is worth the risk, could be that no one says that until it's teams that made the playoffs and teams on their second pick. Someone may trade up for him though, if he does fall.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
I can see Cherepanov dropping down to like 10th-15th....it's happened before with guys like Kopitar and Schremp, and i can see it happening here. Also, with the NHL not having a transfer agreement with Russia, that could easily cause him to fall.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Yes i was kidding but my point is many teams are afraid of the problems drafting russians these days.

Cherepanov's apparent commitment to his dream of playing in the NHL largely make this a non-issue. I am quite sure he has made his intentions clear to those interested as well. On the positive side of a lack of a transfer agreement - teams are able to keep prospects on the reserve lists for more than the two year limit they would have encountered otherwise. This is quite beneficial to NHL teams considering the predominant mentality among Russian players of not comming to North America until they are (or feel that they are) ready to play in the NHL - which in many cases is in excess of two years since their draft date.

toastman344*

I think that Cherry will be fifth...and Espo will still go top 10...just barely, top 10 though...He looked really good in the U-18's to me...both did...actually

Fortius

May 23, 2007
Cherepanov doesn't make it past Washington, Espo goes to Boston or Montreal, Toronto will miss out again.:cry:

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
They'll both go in the top ten, it's too weak of a draft year for people to pass up that kind of talent - regardless of the baggage.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Even if both are on the board at #8 Boston will go with someone else or trade down.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Cherepanov won't last past the 5th rank !! There's no chance that Washington past on Cherepanov... they will absolutly jump on him if he's still available and there's alot of chance that he will. Ovechkin and Semin will probably be there on the stage to welcome him... just like Ovechkin did with Backstrom last year. You guys read it first here !! :teach:
It's not a lock that the Caps keep the pick in the first place but, if they do, it'd certainly make sense. I wouldn't call it a 100% lock but GMGM did say he "got a very good impression" from watching Cherepanov at the WJCs.

Ovechkin has reportedly said he's "very excited" about the prospect of the Caps drafting Cherepanov.

Foligno#71

Sep 10, 2006
Gothenburg
www.hockeysverige.se
It's not a lock that the Caps keep the pick in the first place but, if they do, it'd certainly make sense. I wouldn't call it a 100% lock but GMGM did say he "got a very good impression" from watching Cherepanov at the WJCs.

Ovechkin has reportedly said he's "very excited" about the prospect of the Caps drafting Cherepanov.

I read in a Russian paper that Cherepanov is heading for the Combine. Doesn't that indicate that he is at least interested in an NHL career?

From what I saw at the WJC, the kid's got fantastic hands and a nose for the net. He's that type of player who makes something out of nothing. That he never saw any PK time suggests that he is far from perfect. But I'd wince if the Caps let him pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad