How Long will it take for Jay Bouwmeester to win a Norris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratfinklives

Nov 24, 2002
Visit site
For arguments sake who says he'll ever win one? Just because he's one of the top 2 (some people still say Pitkanen is better though I disagree) defensemen of his draft class and played on team Canada doesn't mean he'll be winning the Norris.

Though if he ever did, I'd probably say 6 years from now

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
How long did it take before Scott Neidermayer won one? Defensemen that play an understated style can take a bit of time to get recognized.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
He is better on the ice than his stats indicate so it may take awhile for him to get
recognized.Then again it may be awhile before he plays hockey again,at least in
the NHL.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
A very long time. Not aggressive enough in the defensive zone. His playmaking on attack is average at best. Great skater though. A poor man's Scott Niedermayer.

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
Kafka said:
Cause Niedermayer is agressive??? ........ come on, why was he paired with Scott Stevens?

Niedermayer is average in terms of agressiveness but his superior mobility can make up for mistakes. My point is, he is better than Bouwmeester in every category. And he hasnt shown me anything yet to think he can upgrade himself to Norris level. Frankly, right now he is just as good as Bret Hedican.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Kafka said:
Cause Niedermayer is agressive??? ........ come on, why was he paired with Scott Stevens?

Niedermayer hasn't been paired with Stevens too regularly since 2000. Typically it had been Stevens-Rafalski and White/Daneyko-Niedermayer. Niedermayer played a lot with Paul Martin last year.

Niedermayer isn't aggressive in terms of going for a big hit, but his ability to backcheck are amongst the best in the league.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
I think he could win the Norris in 5 or 6 years.

I'm usually quite conservative in predictions (at least I think so) so I think highly of him.

For all the hype on forwards the last few years (Kovalchuk, Heatley, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby) and the hype on some potential franchise goalies, he could well become the most valuable player in the NHL.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Ratfinklives said:
For arguments sake who says he'll ever win one? Just because he's one of the top 2 (some people still say Pitkanen is better though I disagree) defensemen of his draft class and played on team Canada doesn't mean he'll be winning the Norris.

You're right. Saying he will win a Norris is an assumption. It's not a given at all that he will win it.

But I like his chances.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
I just dont see enough offensive prowice in Bouwmeester that he will ever put up the #'s to win a Norris, quite frankly.

You ever see Jovo's offensive numbers his first couple of years in the league? D-men (especially 19 YO's) VERY rarily come into the NHL and dominate in every phase of the game. Also, J-Bo played on one of the least offensive teams in the league, which have limited his ability to put points on the board.

Everyone always throws around "Future Norris Trophy Winner" like it's a sure thing. To win, you are considered the best d-man in the league. I think there is MUCH less than a 50/50 chance that J-Bo ever wins a Norris trophy. Guys like Stevens dominated for a LONG time, but never won because he played the same time as Bourque, Chelios, Coffey, etc.

You could legitimately say that it would be at least 6-8 years for J-Bo to win (Lidstrom around in his prime for the next 4 years and Pronger, Niedermyer 7-8 years). Add in guys like Chara, Redden & McCabe that are all older, but would still be in their prime, and other young guys like Stuart, Leopold, Pitkanen, etc and it's a REALLY tough thing to predict.

db23

Chris Pronger is just reaching his prime as a defenceman. Zdeno Chara as well. Neither is 30 years old as yet. Jovanovski, Neidermyer, Redden, and others are coming into their own. Five years from now Klesla, Komisarek, Volchenkov, Babchuk, etc., will be in full bloom.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
NEVER. Guys like Leopold, regher and Phaneuf will just keep winning them year after year. JK

I think Bou has definately the skating and puck movement to excel for offense but I still think he needs to add some strength to solidfy his defensive game. He definately has a chance for Norris if he keeps improving and reaches his potential.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I think he could win the Norris in 5 or 6 years.

I'm usually quite conservative in predictions (at least I think so) so I think highly of him.

For all the hype on forwards the last few years (Kovalchuk, Heatley, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby) and the hype on some potential franchise goalies, he could well become the most valuable player in the NHL.

defenseman are always undervalued for some reason(to the fans at least). JayBo is the best in the new wave of d-man IMO, so i give it about the same # of years.

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Jay-Bo could win one some day, but I won't make a guess as to when , if at all... He's definately a very talented kid, and IMO will probably be an all-star/Team Canada guy for a while, but First things first, Florida has to surge in the standings before Bouwmeester to even get a shred of respect for the Norris. It's hard to remember when the last time a defenceman won the trophy without his team being anywhere close to first in the league... (I know, Niedermayer last year, but the race was VERY close, and they really weren't that far out of first).

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Winning the Norris is like to a defenseman as winning the Art Ross is to a forward (ie it's not an easy task.)

I think the term "future Norris winner" is a term thrown around WAY too often.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Potentially in the next five years. I think Lidstrom's impressive reign is over and J-Bo seems to be a good all around d-man but needs to be more physical. But i have to admit, I have never seen a player skate so much faster than everyone else since Paul Coffey. Bouwmeester glides as fast as most guys can skate!

Burnaby_Joe*

I think he'll win the Norris one of these days, but I don't have a clue when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->