How Long will it take for Jay Bouwmeester to win a Norris?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Habsfan 32, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Habsfan 32

Habsfan 32 Registered User

just a simple question how many years will it take J-Bo to win his first norris?

2. Ratfinklives

Ratfinklives Registered User

Home Page:
    For arguments sake who says he'll ever win one? Just because he's one of the top 2 (some people still say Pitkanen is better though I disagree) defensemen of his draft class and played on team Canada doesn't mean he'll be winning the Norris.

Though if he ever did, I'd probably say 6 years from now

3. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    How long did it take before Scott Neidermayer won one? Defensemen that play an understated style can take a bit of time to get recognized.

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Registered User

At least five years.

5. pei fan

pei fan Registered User

He is better on the ice than his stats indicate so it may take awhile for him to get
    recognized.Then again it may be awhile before he plays hockey again,at least in
    the NHL.

6. DuklaNation

DuklaNation Registered User

A very long time. Not aggressive enough in the defensive zone. His playmaking on attack is average at best. Great skater though. A poor man's Scott Niedermayer.

7. Kafka

Kafka Registered User

student
    Home Page:
    Cause Niedermayer is agressive??? ........ come on, why was he paired with Scott Stevens?

8. monster_bertuzzi

monster_bertuzzi registered user

Home Page:
    I just dont see enough offensive prowice in Bouwmeester that he will ever put up the #'s to win a Norris, quite frankly.

9. DuklaNation

DuklaNation Registered User

Niedermayer is average in terms of agressiveness but his superior mobility can make up for mistakes. My point is, he is better than Bouwmeester in every category. And he hasnt shown me anything yet to think he can upgrade himself to Norris level. Frankly, right now he is just as good as Bret Hedican.

10. Brodeur

Brodeur Registered User

Niedermayer hasn't been paired with Stevens too regularly since 2000. Typically it had been Stevens-Rafalski and White/Daneyko-Niedermayer. Niedermayer played a lot with Paul Martin last year.

Niedermayer isn't aggressive in terms of going for a big hit, but his ability to backcheck are amongst the best in the league.

11. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

I think he could win the Norris in 5 or 6 years.

I'm usually quite conservative in predictions (at least I think so) so I think highly of him.

For all the hype on forwards the last few years (Kovalchuk, Heatley, Nash, Ovechkin, Crosby) and the hype on some potential franchise goalies, he could well become the most valuable player in the NHL.

12. McDonald19

McDonald19 Marcus Pettersson

Analyst
    compared to Bouwmeester yes he is.

13. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

You're right. Saying he will win a Norris is an assumption. It's not a given at all that he will win it.

But I like his chances.

14. Beukeboom Fan

Beukeboom Fan Registered User

Home Page:
    You ever see Jovo's offensive numbers his first couple of years in the league? D-men (especially 19 YO's) VERY rarily come into the NHL and dominate in every phase of the game. Also, J-Bo played on one of the least offensive teams in the league, which have limited his ability to put points on the board.

Everyone always throws around "Future Norris Trophy Winner" like it's a sure thing. To win, you are considered the best d-man in the league. I think there is MUCH less than a 50/50 chance that J-Bo ever wins a Norris trophy. Guys like Stevens dominated for a LONG time, but never won because he played the same time as Bourque, Chelios, Coffey, etc.

You could legitimately say that it would be at least 6-8 years for J-Bo to win (Lidstrom around in his prime for the next 4 years and Pronger, Niedermyer 7-8 years). Add in guys like Chara, Redden & McCabe that are all older, but would still be in their prime, and other young guys like Stuart, Leopold, Pitkanen, etc and it's a REALLY tough thing to predict.

15. db23

db23 Guest

Chris Pronger is just reaching his prime as a defenceman. Zdeno Chara as well. Neither is 30 years old as yet. Jovanovski, Neidermyer, Redden, and others are coming into their own. Five years from now Klesla, Komisarek, Volchenkov, Babchuk, etc., will be in full bloom.

16. f1nn

f1nn Registered User

I think Pitkanen will win one before J-bo

17. HuskyFlames

HuskyFlames Registered User

NEVER. Guys like Leopold, regher and Phaneuf will just keep winning them year after year. JK

I think Bou has definately the skating and puck movement to excel for offense but I still think he needs to add some strength to solidfy his defensive game. He definately has a chance for Norris if he keeps improving and reaches his potential.

18. Vatican Roulette

Vatican Roulette Baile de Los Locos

Home Page:

defenseman are always undervalued for some reason(to the fans at least). JayBo is the best in the new wave of d-man IMO, so i give it about the same # of years.

19. Marchy79

Marchy79 Registered User

ERAC employee
    Home Page:
    Jay-Bo could win one some day, but I won't make a guess as to when , if at all... He's definately a very talented kid, and IMO will probably be an all-star/Team Canada guy for a while, but First things first, Florida has to surge in the standings before Bouwmeester to even get a shred of respect for the Norris. It's hard to remember when the last time a defenceman won the trophy without his team being anywhere close to first in the league... (I know, Niedermayer last year, but the race was VERY close, and they really weren't that far out of first).

20. Dempsey

Dempsey Registered User

Steamfitter/Pipefitter Local 170
    Winning the Norris is like to a defenseman as winning the Art Ross is to a forward (ie it's not an easy task.)

I think the term "future Norris winner" is a term thrown around WAY too often.

21. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Potentially in the next five years. I think Lidstrom's impressive reign is over and J-Bo seems to be a good all around d-man but needs to be more physical. But i have to admit, I have never seen a player skate so much faster than everyone else since Paul Coffey. Bouwmeester glides as fast as most guys can skate!

22. Burnaby_Joe*

Burnaby_Joe* Guest

I think he'll win the Norris one of these days, but I don't have a clue when.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.