Speculation: How long will Detroit be able to hold on to Blashill?

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Jason Gregor, of the team 1260 in Edmonton, just interviewed Jim Nill. They discussed the search for a coach.

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 34m
"That's what I liked to do (hire guy with NHL experience), but I don't want to be close-minded." Nill on hiring a head coach.#Stars

That sounds a lot like Blashill.

nictlg7

Jun 19, 2013
Jeff Blashill is actually my brother-in-law. I've known him since he was playing at Ferris State. In fact I lived with him and my sister for awhile while I attended KCAD in Grand Rapids. I can honestly tell you that guy is crazy dedicated to his work. He somehow balances off still being a great person and a good father / husband, but honestly I don't know anyone that works as hard as him. Even his kids are obsessed with hockey, Teddy (named after my father, Ted Williams) the oldest - could mimic Jeff's goalie pose soon after he learned to walk. He's a really smart guy, and knows the game and the business well. The Red Wings would be crazy to let him slip through their fingers. He'll just end up winning the Stanley Cup for a competing team if they do! :nod: ;)

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/201...lt-appears-ready-to-take-ny-rangers-job.html/

Among the candidates still out there are former Buffalo Sabres coach Lindy Ruff and former New York Rangers coach John Tortorella. Nill has interviewed Ruff and could interview Tortorella this week, according to the source. Nill also has interviewed Stars AHL coach Willie Desjardins and is expected to talk to Grand Rapids Griffins coach Jeff Blashill when the AHL Finals are over. Grand Rapids, the AHL affiliate for Nill’s old team the Detroit Red Wings, is up 3-1 in the series with Syracuse.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Jeff Blashill is actually my brother-in-law. I've known him since he was playing at Ferris State. In fact I lived with him and my sister for awhile while I attended KCAD in Grand Rapids. I can honestly tell you that guy is crazy dedicated to his work. He somehow balances off still being a great person and a good father / husband, but honestly I don't know anyone that works as hard as him. Even his kids are obsessed with hockey, Teddy (named after my father, Ted Williams) the oldest - could mimic Jeff's goalie pose soon after he learned to walk. He's a really smart guy, and knows the game and the business well. The Red Wings would be crazy to let him slip through their fingers. He'll just end up winning the Stanley Cup for a competing team if they do! :nod: ;)

we are all grateful for what he did especially this year for red wings organization but being a nice brother in law and nice daddy really isnt enough reason for him to replace our coaching staff.

dont worry, about your brother in law too much, looks like he is certainly taking care of himself very well career wise. you will sleep in a bigger room next time you visit down there.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really

Cbdudek

May 15, 2013
Grand Rapids, MI
www.nightfall.net
I don't think Kurt would have gotten this out of this particular team as Blashill is a better coach. But he didn't have much to work with in terms of goaltending. The only time they played well was with MacDonald or Conklin. So he had a different set of cards dealt to him. Glad he isn't the coach anymore though.

I agree that Blashill is a better coach, and I also agree he didn't have much to work with in terms of goaltending. The best goalie he had was MacDonald, but I think that MacDonald was capable. The issue I have was that he wasn't a good coach when it came to developing players. There were a lot of talented players that came through the Griffins that just didn't do as well here as they should have.

Blashill comes in and turns this team around. This team was pretty similar to last season and they didn't even make the playoffs under Frasier. It is my hope that he sticks around and helps continue to develop our players in the AHL for another year or two.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Blashill mlive article.

Blashill, who has two years remaining on his contract as Griffins coach, said, “I fully expect to be in Grand Rapids next year.â€

“I am really, really just focused on the progress of our players in this organization,†he said.

At some point, however, the 39-year-old Blashill wants to coach in the NHL.

“Sure I do,†he said. “But I don’t go out seeking opportunities. I haven’t. If I do the best job I can, and we have success, things will take care of themself.â€

http://www.mlive.com/griffins/index.ssf/2013/06/jeff_blashill_on_nhl_coaching.html

Was not contacted by the Stars, kind of surprising they didn't even talk.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
:phew: the Wings have too much talent having rookie years in Grand Rapids next year to not have a good coach down there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad