How long until we see a full schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Crows said:
BUT...

If the NHL went back to the 1-16 playoff format.. or now possibly the 1-20. Then I wouldn.t mind that schedule, because it would bring West VS east teams to play against each other in the first round etc.

BUt they should do it this way if they go back to 1-16.

8 vs 1 then on the reverse. 16 vs 9. And so on. I think that could work.
I think that's a terrible idea. What would be the point of having seperate conferences if the Stanley Cup Finals ended up with two teams from one conference? I really hope they don't go 20 teams as well.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
First of all, the divisons will have to be rotated. I think that anyone saying that these teams are never going to see each other again is ludicrous (but not beyond the stupidity of THIS league). Think of the NFL model, not the MLB one.

Secondly, I want the divsion games. I care about the Devils playing the Rangers, Flyers, Isles and Penguins. I do not care one bit about having the opportunity to only see the Predators (or any other Western team) once every three years. I want the intensity of intra-division rivalries, not the boring bland hockey played between two teams that have no effect on each other in the standings and mostly don't care about each other.

I hate the other teams in my division, as do many hockey fans with their teams. Those games are always the best to go to and watch. These games bring out the passion in the fans and the players, and a genuine rivalry/hatred for each other is a recipe for great exciting hockey!

Crows*

Ogie Oglethorpe said:
First of all, the divisons will have to be rotated. I think that anyone saying that these teams are never going to see each other again is ludicrous (but not beyond the stupidity of THIS league). Think of the NFL model, not the MLB one.

Secondly, I want the divsion games. I care about the Devils playing the Rangers, Flyers, Isles and Penguins. I do not care one bit about having the opportunity to only see the Predators (or any other Western team) once every three years. I want the intensity of intra-division rivalries, not the boring bland hockey played between two teams that have no effect on each other in the standings and mostly don't care about each other.

I hate the other teams in my division, as do many hockey fans with their teams. Those games are always the best to go to and watch. These games bring out the passion in the fans and the players, and a genuine rivalry/hatred for each other is a recipe for great exciting hockey!

SO you wouldn.t mind not seeing the hawks with Crosby every 3 years?

I definatly mind only seeing the Habs leafs and sens once every three years. The Canucks and leafs have a great rivaly! The Canuck flyer games are amazing! Once every 3 years would be ridiculous and horrible to market the new players.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Crows said:
SO you wouldn.t mind not seeing the hawks with Crosby every 3 years?

I definatly mind only seeing the Habs leafs and sens once every three years. The Canucks and leafs have a great rivaly! The Canuck flyer games are amazing! Once every 3 years would be ridiculous and horrible to market the new players.

No not really, because to me at most it was only going to be every other year anyway. And if, to get the chance to see crosby one extra time every other year, I have to sit through the mountains of needless boring games that have no passion and energy, then so be it. Give me the guarantee of Devils Flyers and Devils Rangers 8 times each--thats 20% of the sked right there that will be great hockey.

And its not like I won't ever get the chance to see Crosby. I got to see Gretzky too, and he was in the other conference his whole career (except the end).

Crows*

Ogie Oglethorpe said:
No not really, because to me at most it was only going to be every other year anyway. And if, to get the chance to see crosby one extra time every other year, I have to sit through the mountains of needless boring games that have no passion and energy, then so be it. Give me the guarantee of Devils Flyers and Devils Rangers 8 times each--thats 20% of the sked right there that will be great hockey.

And its not like I won't ever get the chance to see Crosby. I got to see Gretzky too, and he was in the other conference his whole career (except the end).

The Difference is Gretzky played games against every team from the other conference every year.

And you're gonna have to sit through the boring games anyway. Youl still be playing Atlanta, Carolina, Florida every year

As a Canadian fan.. Only seeing the habs sens and LEafs every three years is horrible news. Then again.. the NHL is always finding new ways to screw the Canadian fans anyway.

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Crows said:
The Difference is Gretzky played games against every team from the other conference every year.

And you're gonna have to sit through the boring games anyway. Youl still be playing Atlanta, Carolina, Florida every year

As a Canadian fan.. Only seeing the habs sens and LEafs every three years is horrible news. Then again.. the NHL is always finding new ways to screw the Canadian fans anyway.

Yes, you are correct about Gretzky. I know there will still be boring games, but the games involving teams from the same conference will still be 4 point games, so at least there is something there (a chance for a rivalry).

I understand your point about the Canadian teams. Maybe there could be an exception worked into the Canadian teams' schedules where they are able to play each other at least twice each year (instead of an American team) :dunno:

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Increasing the number of games to heavier division matchups is all about money.

One, there is more demand for tix vs. division opponents b/c more at stake than some team 3,000 miles away. The games are MORE important in the standings as well.

Two, it will increase and/or develop more rivalries.

Three, cut down on all over the map travel costs.

Four, who cares if you can't see the ONE game if Crosby is not in your conference/division? Got TV? The very reason is for all the ONE game Crosby's, there's the games you are more likely than not to attend: say, if your in EDM: you wanna see FL, CAR, WASH, etc? nope...

Spungo*

Crows said:
Completely agree.

I think this schedule if implimented would be a horrible idea to have simply because this is supposed to be the NEW NHL and they want to market the game... and crosby. Well that might be a little tough if they want fans back in Atlanta.. and they can't even go see Crosby play if he's on the ducks or something.

It would be 1 game out of 41 Atlanta home games. It would make absolutely zero difference. 90% of hockey fans only watch games on TV anyway (at least in Toronto, where the last time I got to see a game was in 1997 and paid $400 for upper deck Maple Leaf Gardens tickets).

rabi

Feb 27, 2002
Lancaster, NY
Visit site
think/blue said:
They might rotate the division thing, so you'd get to see a team from the other conference once every three years? :dunno: That would hurt the Canadian rivalries but if the alternative is to never see a Detroit-Toronto game again, for example, it might be worth looking at.

Why are people so ignorant?? (and not you think/blue)

Of course they're going to rotate divisions, just like the NFL has gone to...

So, you're guaranteed to see a team from the other conference once every three years...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This is completely assanine and stupid. People want to see other teams. How do you market a game when you only play a select few teams. This just means ESPN gets to show Detroit/St. Louis and Philly/NYR more times than the nation cares for.

And rivalries are made in the playoffs. If your team is in a rivalry that didn't start because of a playoff series it's probably because one of the teams can't make the playoffs often enough to have a good rivalry.

Toronto and Ottawa didn't become one of the league's best rivalries because they met 6 times during the regular season.

Spungo*

go kim johnsson said:
This is completely assanine and stupid. People want to see other teams.

In Toronto, you got to see a western team only once a year... and that's ONLY for 18,000 people. It's not like the entire city gets to walk into the Air canada Centre and watch the san Jose Sharks come and play. I just don't get this argument.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Well, I'd prefer to see every team each year, *but*, this is a decent compromise. It's far better than the alternative that was often talked about, going completely east vs east, west vs west.

We're already at once every two years, once every three years sometimes for certain teams, so it's not that much of a change.

Agree with GKJ, have always pointed out it's playoffs that make rivalries, not regular season games, unless you have some sort of major incident.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
This is completely assanine and stupid. People want to see other teams. How do you market a game when you only play a select few teams. This just means ESPN gets to show Detroit/St. Louis and Philly/NYR more times than the nation cares for..

Really? People in ANA lineup at the door to see CAR play? Or BOS to play PHO? or NYI to play CAL?

Right because everyone rushes to see EDM play in TB? ETC, ETC, ETC...

There's a reason teams usually have packages/promotions/deals vs. non-conference teams and it's because they are slow sellers in MOST markets.

Don't worry about marketing the game, it's not your job.

And you are right, rivalries are usually made in the playoffs. Who plays against each other in the playoffs? Conference teams. So, NYI/TOR never had a rivarly against each other 4 years ago, now they do because of a playoff series. right?

NOW, based on that playoff series there is A LOT OF INTEREST to attend regular season games vs. those teams in both markets. That is one of the reasons for doing this. It's attendance driven. 2 more games vs. rivalries or division opponents will draw more than a games vs. PHO and SJ (even w/Crosby).

Crows*

What my point is. THE NHL is trying to have the attitude of "once you go to your first NHL game you're hooked" and if fans dont even get to see the best player since gretzky play live for 3 years.. i think that's terrible.

MNore people go to predator games than watch on tv probbaly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->