How long until we see a full schedule?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Foley*

It's usually out about now (mid-late July) in a typical year. I would think that it will probably be released not too long after the CBA gets ratified next week.

coppernblue

Apr 5, 2005
yea the schedule is probally already made up id assume correct?
there just waiting for ratifcation to release it

creative giant*

I think we'll see it at the re-launch press conference next Thursday.

The Major

Feb 13, 2003
edm.ab.ca
Visit site
Earlier on TSN Sportscentre, Bob McKenzie said that there will be an unbalanced schedule, but a little different than usual.

I quickly saw the graphic, so this may not be completely accurate, but this is what I remember.

There will be 8 games vs each Divisional rival, and then 2 games vs each team in a single Division in the other conference. The remaining games will be played within the conference.

For example, Edmonton would play every team in the Northeast Division twice, but no other Eastern conference teams.

Crows*

OilMan89 said:
Earlier on TSN Sportscentre, Bob McKenzie said that there will be an unbalanced schedule, but a little different than usual.

I quickly saw the graphic, so this may not be completely accurate, but this is what I remember.

There will be 8 games vs each Divisional rival, and then 2 games vs each team in a single Division in the other conference. The remaining games will be played within the conference.

For example, Edmonton would play every team in the Northeast Division twice, but no other Eastern conference teams.

WHAT?? SO that means for that example.. Edmonton wouldn't even play Atlanta, carolina etc?????!?!?

That's ridiculous!

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Crows said:
WHAT?? SO that means for that example.. Edmonton wouldn't even play Atlanta, carolina etc?????!?!?

That's ridiculous!

That's correct, I saw it on Sportscentre too.

I agree too that its ridiculous. I guess they want to foster divisional rivalries, but when you have 82 games, I'd like to see more variation.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Crows said:

That's ridiculous!

Yep, I heard it too. Each division will be 'paired' with one division from the other conference. It's kind of like the interleague play in MLB.

I would expect the Northeast teams to get paired with teams from the Northwest to get the Canadian matchups..

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I don't know how I feel about this. I hate it in baseball when they play the same teams over and over again and I hope that doesn't happen here. I don't want it to water down the rivalry between teams, like Ottawa and Toronto

Spungo*

think/blue said:
Yep, I heard it too. Each division will be 'paired' with one division from the other conference. It's kind of like the interleague play in MLB.

I would expect the Northeast teams to get paired with teams from the Northwest to get the Canadian matchups..

I LOVE this concept. 72 games vs. your own conference and only 10 vs. the other conference. Who the hell cares if Edmonton doesn't play Atlanta? They played eachother only once a year before this, so what's the big deal?

Crows*

This is crap.

So if Crosby goes to NY teams from the Northwest Division will never get to see crosby play ever EVER unless hes traded to their division or their rival division.

If this is the case, I don't know what the NHL is thinking.

They want to market these young players yet they won't let people see them. It's ludacris and another disgusting mistake the NHL is gonna make if implemented.

Spungo*

SensGuy said:
I don't know how I feel about this. I hate it in baseball when they play the same teams over and over again and I hope that doesn't happen here. I don't want it to water down the rivalry between teams, like Ottawa and Toronto

Baseball has 162 games. Generally in hockey, the more you play a team, the more likely a rivalry will exist. Especially if they play home and home series (which I really hope they do). Almost every year, the best games in the netire3 NHL are the second game of a home and home series.

Crows*

Spungo said:
Baseball has 162 games. Generally in hockey, the more you play a team, the more likely a rivalry will exist. Especially if they play home and home series (which I really hope they do). Almost every year, the best games in the netire3 NHL are the second game of a home and home series.

I don't know about you but. IF I never get to see the Islanders, rangers , flyers etc play the Canucks ever again.. im gonna be pissed.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Crows said:
This is crap.

So if Crosby goes to NY teams from the Northwest Division will never get to see crosby play ever EVER unless hes traded to their division or their rival division.

If this is the case, I don't know what the NHL is thinking.

They want to market these young players yet they won't let people see them. It's ludacris and another disgusting mistake the NHL is gonna make if implemented.

They might rotate the division thing, so you'd get to see a team from the other conference once every three years? :dunno: That would hurt the Canadian rivalries but if the alternative is to never see a Detroit-Toronto game again, for example, it might be worth looking at.

X0ssbar

think/blue said:
They might rotate the division thing, so you'd get to see a team from the other conference once every three years? :dunno: That would hurt the Canadian rivalries but if the alternative is to never see a Detroit-Toronto game again, for example, it might be worth looking at.

Egggggzackly what I was thinkin. They will rotate the division conf. deal on an annual basis.

Crows*

Heres my solution.

79 game season.

6 games against each of your division rivals=24 games

4 games against each of the teams in your conference minus division=40 games

Remaining 15 games you play against each team in the opposite conference.

Every year you rotate home and away with the opposite conference.

Vic Rattlehead*

think/blue said:

Its just like the system in the NHL, where the only teams you play in the other league are in the same division.

EDIT---I like it. Say this year the Bruins play 10 games against the Central Division, next year it will be 10 games against the Northwest or Pacific.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
this sounds like crap. i don't want hockey to become like baseball... imo its a boring concept... at most they should have max 6-7 games against division rivals and 3-4 games against conference rivals, and then 1-2 games against other coneference, and they can still keep their dumb home-home for one division, but at least keep 1 game for the other teams

Crows*

bcrt2000 said:
this sounds like crap. i don't want hockey to become like baseball... imo its a boring concept... at most they should have max 6-7 games against division rivals and 3-4 games against conference rivals, and then 1-2 games against other coneference, and they can still keep their dumb home-home for one division, but at least keep 1 game for the other teams

Completely agree.

I think this schedule if implimented would be a horrible idea to have simply because this is supposed to be the NEW NHL and they want to market the game... and crosby. Well that might be a little tough if they want fans back in Atlanta.. and they can't even go see Crosby play if he's on the ducks or something.

bluebleeder38

Feb 8, 2003
The S.T.L.
Visit site
I don't like the concept. Some people might say so what if Edmonton doesn't play Atlanta? Well, what if Atlanta, hypothetically, would end up with Sidney Crosby? I'm sure people around the NHL would love to see him in action, but wouldn't get the chance for at least a couple years. Plus, from a personal standpoint, I like the Blues playing every NHL team and at least seeing everyone in the East. At the same time, 8 divisional games would be fun.

Crows*

BUT...

If the NHL went back to the 1-16 playoff format.. or now possibly the 1-20. Then I wouldn.t mind that schedule, because it would bring West VS east teams to play against each other in the first round etc.

BUt they should do it this way if they go back to 1-16.

8 vs 1 then on the reverse. 16 vs 9. And so on. I think that could work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->