Speculation: How Long Until Our Best Players Start Playing Like It?

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
Neither Phaneuf or Kessel are playing close to their best right now. They don't create any chances on the PP and Kessel's line gets hemmed in their own zone all the time.

Even with Kessel at his best, that line will get hemmed in the zone.

Also Phaneuf is playing really well. Just coz he is not scoring doesn't mean ****.

DaveT83*

i thought this was one of those WEWANTACUP podcasts LOL

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Even if they were playing as poorly as you suggest, which they are not, the Leafs are still wining hockey games? Not sure if that is a good thing; not to mention Lupul and Frattin are not even in the line up yet.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
Dion has been lights out our best defensemen. Kessel isn't doing great in terms of anything atm then again our team has been utter bs since carolina. I am not too worried since this isn't just an individual thing it seems.

Kadri is possibly the only one who's been doing great but we need more from a team as a whole.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Just think when they start playing to their ability and start producing again. We will be a very very tough team to beat.

Hockeylaw

Jan 16, 2013
Phaneuf has been sound overall. The defensive side of his game has improved manifold since his early days in the league. He looked pretty sharp offensively scoring that OT winner in New York the other night. Even great defencemen make mistakes when playing 26 minutes a night. I don't think anything is wrong with him. I do think he looked even sharper at the beginning of last season, though, when he had 11 points and was a +7 in the first 10 games. He'll heat up again.

The top line misses Lupul (and a true first-line centre), but has been producing regardless. I expect them to look better in their own end when Lupul is back to win board battles. JVR, while steady, and while capable of playing something of a physical game, doesn't have Lupul's speed/explosiveness.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
kessel is such a candy ass, it drives me crazy how far he'll go out of his way to not initiate contact.

stakesishigh

how swede it is
Jul 9, 2009
Toronto
They've both struggled a bit lately (last 3-5ish games or so) but overall I'm content with their play.

Sure I'd love for Kessel to have triple the amount of goals but for the most part he's been getting good chances. He's played a bit crappy the last 3 games but hopefully this goal will spark him a little. 16 points in 22 games isn't bad at all.

Phaneuf had a poor game tonight too but he's played very solid this season as a whole.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I can see where you're coming from when you mention Kessel in a thread like this, but I don't think you could ask for any more out of Phaneuf. He has easily been our best all-around defenseman and plays more than any other player on this team. In the game against New Jersey tonight, he effectively neutralized David Clarkson completely. Clarkson happens to be New Jersey's highest goal-scoring forward. Every time Clarkson touched the puck tonight Phaneuf was just hounding him. Sure, his offensive game might be currently taking a backseat, but his defensive play has improved tenfold since his time as a member of the Calgary Flames. He is our captain and is quietly solidifying himself as a #1 defenseman here in Toronto.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
I can't remember who it was, but someone said this in a PGT a few weeks back. If you keep Dion around 25-26 minutes a night, he'll play absolutely amazing. Anything more than that and he's prone to mistakes as he'll be running tired. To be honest, aside from a plainly "average" showing early on, he's been earning his pay since then. As many are saying here, by far our best defenseman.

Kessel's been struggling, but 16 points in 22 (albeit disappointing) isn't that bad. I'm sure once Lupul comes back, they'll hit their stride. JVR on centre should be tried.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dion has come around and is playing the way he was expected to all along. Looks good

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad