How Long Until Number 11 is Retired?

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
I was watching the 1997 BUF/OTT series on Amazon VoD. Alfie first modern-era Sens Calder winner, first playoff goal for modern-era Sens, first OT goal for modern-era Sens, first GWG in the playoffs for modern-era Sens...

Just a shame he didn't get a taste of the cup just once.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
They won't do it opening night for a very simple reason... Marketing.

Opening nights get enough of a hype and a draw that it would be a waste of potential ticket sales to double up. They'll schedule it for a November or December game that they're not expecting to have a huge attendance number for and BAM instant sell out.

I still don't think it'll be this year... maybe not even the year after. I could see them waiting until he's eligible for the HHOF.

Yeah that's a good point. It would be an easy way to draw fans into the building for a random game halfway through the season.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Perhaps somebody already mentioned this but Alfredsson will most probably move back to Ottawa with his family, not this year though.

New interview in Sweden (newspaper "Expressen"):
http://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/alfredsson-da-blev-det-riktigt-kanslosamt/

Tried running it through google translate ;-)
https://translate.google.se/transla...on-da-blev-det-riktigt-kanslosamt/&edit-text=

Sorry but some translations are ****ed up, golf being translated to Mexico (?) and some other fun parts. ;-)

Highlight from interview:
"Looking ahead, believe the heavily qualified former striker, moreover, that it is a move back to Ottawa. Or "home," he says.
- It seems so. All our guys were born there. We and the city has gone through a lot together. In this way, it was a challenge to move to Detroit, but I think it strengthened us as a family.
When you are back in Ottawa - then wait a role in the Senators for you?
- I do not know. It is not certain - but it must be so, then. At the same time I have spent much of my life around hockey - and that is what I can."

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Perhaps somebody already mentioned this but Alfredsson will most probably move back to Ottawa with his family, not this year though.

New interview in Sweden (newspaper "Expressen"):
http://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/alfredsson-da-blev-det-riktigt-kanslosamt/

Tried running it through google translate ;-)
https://translate.google.se/transla...on-da-blev-det-riktigt-kanslosamt/&edit-text=

Sorry but some translations are ****ed up, golf being translated to Mexico (?) and some other fun parts. ;-)

Highlight from interview:
"Looking ahead, believe the heavily qualified former striker, moreover, that it is a move back to Ottawa. Or "home," he says.
- It seems so. All our guys were born there. We and the city has gone through a lot together. In this way, it was a challenge to move to Detroit, but I think it strengthened us as a family.
When you are back in Ottawa - then wait a role in the Senators for you?
- I do not know. It is not certain - but it must be so, then. At the same time I have spent much of my life around hockey - and that is what I can."

Real reason we traded Lehner away - to get Alfie his house back.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think it could be as soon as next yr, if they are winning it could be later in the yr & if they go on a losing skid it could be sooner in the season to take the pressure of the team.

Ttracer*

Get it over with asap. First game ceremony, video, and jersey raising. Alfi our God is gone but not forgotten

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Still prefer to keep the number open. Retire the jersey to the rafters for sure; keep the number in play. Not right away, but when the time is good.

More interesting question for me: Is Alfredsson HOF material and when? But that's probably a different thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad