How long until Mcdavid takes over league lead in points?

How many games played by Mcdavid before he leads the league?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
It's quite a bit more in terms of absolute numbers, particularly since you posted /60 numbers.

The disparity is still huge, I didn't purposely ignore this facet. Even an extra 2 minutes more, per game, over his competitors, is ~10% more icetime, per game. This is a conservative estimate as well.

People forget that you are judging McDavid's, raw, absolute point totals. Then bring up per/60 numbers and ratios on a per game basis like they are the same metric. They aren't.

As a generality, one is absolute, and one is relative.

The ice time comes from extended shifts not more shifts. This is typically very low productive time. In fact so far this year Matthews is getting about 10% more ES and pp shifts than McDavid. This means that he has more opportunities when he is fresh to play in situations where scoring is more likely. Which advantage wins here?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDavid is simply on another level. His two Art Rosses as a teenager prove it.
Sime fans are trying to find a way to close the gap between him and other players and have latched on to the playing time argument to do it. I wonder if people tried the same thing with Gretzky and Lemieux. And no I’m not saying McDavid is on their level but he’s going to be the dominant player of this generation.
Just accept it and enjoy watching one of the greats.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Sime fans are trying to find a way to close the gap between him and other players and have latched on to the playing time argument to do it. I wonder if people tried the same thing with Gretzky and Lemieux. And no I’m not saying McDavid is on their level but he’s going to be the dominant player of this generation.
lol @ the recent video on TSN
upload_2018-10-18_13-4-26.png

So cringeworthy to watch when he brings in Matthews into the conversation with McDavid and asking Tavares for confirmation. You can tell JT wants no part of that comparison....His eyes confirm what Leaf fans dont want to hear... and so does his well throught out answer,

Such Homers on TSN. :laugh:

Hey Geno ... that conversation only happens with Leaf homers, Not the rest of the hockey world.

Last edited:

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The ice time comes from extended shifts not more shifts. This is typically very low productive time. In fact so far this year Matthews is getting about 10% more ES and pp shifts than McDavid. This means that he has more opportunities when he is fresh to play in situations where scoring is more likely. Which advantage wins here?
Exactly, McDavid plays the same amount of shifts as any other top forward. If every other top forward stayed on the ice for an extra 10 seconds per shift people think they will score an extra 20 points a season? That's a good one.

Reactions: ColoradoCanes

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Hilarious. Take a look at who voted “he won’t catch up” and it’s the usual suspects. Of course it’s mostly Leaf fans.

[mod]

What? I don't see why Leafs would have a reason to hate on the Oilers. I'm a fan and can say without a doubt McDavid is in a league of his own and will probably surpass Matthews soon enough. Regardless I don't get what Matthews has anything to do with this. McDavid is insane, if he was on the Leafs we'd have won a cup by now.

Sucks he's surrounded by poor management and a crap team

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
What? I don't see why Leafs would have a reason to hate on the Oilers. I'm a fan and can say without a doubt McDavid is in a league of his own and will probably surpass Matthews soon enough. Regardless I don't get what Matthews has anything to do with this. McDavid is insane, if he was on the Leafs we'd have won a cup by now.

Sucks he's surrounded by poor management and a crap team

I appreciate your honest take. But why matthews has to do anything with this is because of Toronto biased media trying to make cases for matthews being as good or better than Mcdavid. It’s honestly insane at this point

Reactions: dukeofjive

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I appreciate your honest take. But why matthews has to do anything with this is because of Toronto biased media trying to make cases for matthews being as good or better than Mcdavid. It’s honestly insane at this point
Yeah I totally agree, it's the medias fault and it's getting kind of annoying for some of us Leaf fans as well. Does Matthews have the potential to be the clear cut #2 in the league? Sure. But to compare him to McDavid is getting kind of out of hand. He is making a case for himself as one of the best, but just watching both players it's obvious McDavid dominates the game in a way Matthews doesn't.

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016

Exactly no one will come close to him. If he gets injured then the field is wide open. I see him winning 10 Art Rosses and around 8-10 Harts if he stays healthy.

shelf

Nov 4, 2006
London ONtario
McDavid has never won the Art Ross as a teenager.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah I totally agree, it's the medias fault and it's getting kind of annoying for some of us Leaf fans as well. Does Matthews have the potential to be the clear cut #2 in the league? Sure. But to compare him to McDavid is getting kind of out of hand. He is making a case for himself as one of the best, but just watching both players it's obvious McDavid dominates the game in a way Matthews doesn't.

Yah foresure and I can see why Toronto fans would be annoyed by people oilers/mcdavid fans saying that Toronto fans think matthews is as good or better because in the end I think the smart oilers and Toronto fans have a good perspective on the subject like you do. I’ll say this matthews 40 goal rookie campaign and last years over 40 goal pace playing with obvious injuries is insane. The way it looks is that he’s going to be a consistent 40-50 goal scorer and no one outside Ovechkin can do that. Not sid not malkin, so that counts for something if he can do that. I would say if he can accomplish that he will be the second best player in the league. And with the team Toronto has built and if they can win a cup who cares about Mcdavid right? Haha

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Exactly no one will come close to him. If he gets injured then the field is wide open. I see him winning 10 Art Rosses and around 8-10 Harts if he stays healthy.

I think that might be pushing it but he has a shot at Lemieux and howes 6 art rosses. Hart’s on the other hand will be a lot tougher to gather. There are no more super teams with the salary cap and team success plays a fairly big factor in the hart. That being said I value the ted Lindsay trophy more because it’s voted on by the players. Who’s opinion is more valuable the players or a bunch of writers? To me the best player in the world is more important Than who’s most valuable to his team. He has a chance at winning a ton of those

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
View attachment 147853

So cringeworthy to watch when he brings in Matthews into the conversation with McDavid and asking Tavares for confirmation. You can tell JT wants no part of that comparison....His eyes confirm what Leaf fans dont want to hear... and so does his well throught out answer,

Hey Geno ... that conversation only happens with Leaf homers, Not the rest of the hockey world.
Wow, just watched this. Embarrassing :laugh:

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
I think that might be pushing it but he has a shot at Lemieux and howes 6 art rosses. Hart’s on the other hand will be a lot tougher to gather. There are no more super teams with the salary cap and team success plays a fairly big factor in the hart. That being said I value the ted Lindsay trophy more because it’s voted on by the players. Who’s opinion is more valuable the players or a bunch of writers? He has a chance at winning a ton of those

You're right but I feel like he has a real shot at 10 art rosses. Only if he doesn't get injured. I just don't see anyway anyone beats him to it. Like even if someone has a godlike season. It'll be a normal year for McDavid and he would win. He's just that good and it's crazy to say. Yeah Harts could be tougher you're right. Because it is more based on how your team performed even if you tried your damndest. Also whenever I watch him compared to others. Other elite players just look underwhelming compared to him. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone. But that's my own point of view.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
You're right but I feel like he has a real shot at 10 art rosses. Only if he doesn't get injured. I just don't see anyway anyone beats him to it. Like even if someone has a godlike season. It'll be a normal year for McDavid and he would win. He's just that good and it's crazy to say. Yeah Harts could be tougher you're right. Because it is more based on how your team performed even if you tried your damndest.

Yah I don’t see anyone challenging him anytime soon. Guaranteed tho a couple get stolen away from him from a 4-5 game Injury or a super hot year from someone like makinnon. Players just don’t win art rosses in their 30s. He would basically have to win 10 in a row

MonarchFlames

Sep 30, 2016
Yah I don’t see anyone challenging him anytime soon. Guaranteed tho a couple get stolen away from him from a 4-5 game Injury or a super hot year from someone like makinnon. Players just don’t win art rosses in their 30s. He would basically have to win 10 in a row

That could happen. But it feels like he's better this year. I dont think 4-5 games will make a difference to him in the grand scheme of things. I feel like he has a shot at hitting 50g-70a this year for 120 points. No other player comes close to that imo.

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
That could happen. But it feels like he's better this year. I dont think 4-5 games will make a difference to him in the grand scheme of things. I feel like he has a shot at hitting 50g-70a this year for 120 points. No other player comes close to that imo.

Yah foresure I’m a kings fan but regular season I’m watching Mcdavid almost every game. If he gets some help I don’t think 120+ is out of the question. Hell why not 130 that would be legendary

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
View attachment 147853

:shakehead

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
View attachment 147853

"No" means "No," but sometimes, "Well, obviously, I think it's a great debate and there's so much talent in the league and everyone works hard and the conversation will continue . . ." also means "No."

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
2 more points for mcdavid including the OT winning assist off a great pick followed by a deke and a pass to Draisaitl
Its like that Jaws theme ... you know Its happening... Matthews knows whats coming ... Leafs know whats coming ..... the league knows its coming ....

The comparisons will die down shortly here .... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad