How long have you been a hockey Fan?

KingsFanInRI

Waiting 4 next year
Aug 27, 2005
Outside Providence
People are always amazed I can quote the date I became a Kings fan, August 9, 1988.

you must be as sick as I am, because I can tell you that I became a Kings fan on 12-30-1978. Not as memorable a date in Kings history as yours, but I remember it well.

I was a Bruins fan then and resented the Kings (long story), but I went to this particular game at the Forum. Mario Lessard shut out the Canucks 4-0 and I have been hooked ever since.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I was born one.

My first full sentence was "Flames Suck." (Actually it was "Look at the light!", but soon after I was bashing the Flames.)

Transplanted Caper

2x ATD Co-Champion
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
Well, I've been a fan for as long as I can remember. Ill be 23 in a month and a bit, so its fair to say i've been a fan for 15 years

Ogopogo*

you must be as sick as I am, because I can tell you that I became a Kings fan on 12-30-1978. Not as memorable a date in Kings history as yours, but I remember it well.

I was a Bruins fan then and resented the Kings (long story), but I went to this particular game at the Forum. Mario Lessard shut out the Canucks 4-0 and I have been hooked ever since.

That is remarkable. I actually became an Oilers fan 12-23-78. I was young but I heard Edmonton was going to be in the NHL. That day I declared my allegiance.

The crazy thing is, I was a Bruins fan before the Oil joined the NHL.

Van-Can

Jul 9, 2006
Richmond B.C.
Born and raised with "Hockey Night in Canada" and 4 men screaming at the TV! A home-movie shows me with a hockeystick at 2 years of age.

My first memory...1967,travelling across Canada so the older brother's could attend Stan Makita's Hockey School in Toronto.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Since I was 5, when my cousin gave me a stick and his old skates for Christmas. That was in 1970, and I started reading about Bobby Orr. Then got to watch him (on TV) the next year, when our town got cable TV, hence Hockey Night In Canada (both French & English for a few years!). And I nearly killed myself when the Flyers beat the great Bruins in the Cup Final! Hated that team ever since! :D

36 fabulous years of hockey thus far!

scribe114

Jul 12, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
Since '79-80 season was 11 years old.

Followed the Red Wings when they were known as the "Dead Things" and they only put road games on TV with Bruce Martyn and Sid Abel on Channel 50. Picked up on Ice Skating a year earlier and played at the Jack Adams arena on the west side of Detroit. Went to High School about a mile from Olympia Stadium.

Always enjoyed Hockey history and read as much as I could about the sport. Was not able to keep up as much as I liked with Hockey after I joined the military and the sport was still expanding. I'm retiring this year so I will get to take in some more games.

The average Wings fan these days cant tell you anything about the sport that happened before 1991. They did not show up until the team started winning.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Twenty years now. And it's been a wonderful, 20-year relationship with the game, and all it brings: trials, tribulations, and celebrations.

Favourite memory? Any Team Canada international victory. Those that stand out: 1991 WJC, the WJC Drive for Five (1993 to 1997), 1993 and 1997 World Championships, 2002 Men's and Women's gold medal victories at the Winter Olympics, 2005 and 2006 WJC.

I've become an absolute hockey history nut over the last few years - I thank many of you for that - and soak up any and all hockey history that I can. With the information that now exists on the greats of the past - from Cyclone Taylor to Gordie Howe - younger fans can know what these players were like without having watched them play.

puckhead103*

i don't want to sound like an insulting jerk...but did the boston area had cable in the mid 70's?

puckhead103*

Since '79-80 season was 11 years old.

Followed the Red Wings when they were known as the "Dead Things" and they only put road games on TV with Bruce Martyn and Sid Abel on Channel 50. Picked up on Ice Skating a year earlier and played at the Jack Adams arena on the west side of Detroit. Went to High School about a mile from Olympia Stadium.

Always enjoyed Hockey history and read as much as I could about the sport. Was not able to keep up as much as I liked with Hockey after I joined the military and the sport was still expanding. I'm retiring this year so I will get to take in some more games.

The average Wings fan these days cant tell you anything about the sport that happened before 1991. They did not show up until the team started winning.
hey....have u every listened to bruce martyn and sid abel when they were on the old WJR?

in 1983 and didn't have cable tv....the only connection to nhl hockey was listening to sid and bruce on wjr......i was 12 then...

scribe114

Jul 12, 2005
Detroit, Michigan
hey....have u ever listened to bruce martyn and sid abel when they were on the old WJR?

in 1983 and didn't have cable tv....the only connection to nhl hockey was listening to sid and bruce on wjr......i was 12 then...

Used to listen to the games all the time on WJR followed by the news and "Night Flight" Was able to start getting Wing home games and Tiger "night games" on ON-TV Channel 20 when my Grandma got cable. I think Budd Lynch was doing the play-by-play for a while, and had Mickey Redmond doing color commentary.

Hockey night in Canada on CBC Channel 9 was pretty much all Maple Leafs unless they were on the road, then you would get a Canadiens game from the Forum in Montreal and the occasional Hockey Night in Canada game on Wednesday night.

Ahhhhhhhhh the days of John Ogrodnick.

NassauIsles82*

I'm 24, and i remember watching Islander games while sitting/laying in my dads lap while falling asleep during the night games, so over 20 years. I' went to my first game when i was 5-Isles vs. Capitals. I've been to over 1000 Islander games in my life, and well over 100 Sound Tiger games.

No-Twitch Tabitha

Jun 30, 2006
Winter Haven, FL
Most of my life.

I come from a family of (former) athletes and sports fans. I've always had a thing for winter sports. I love the cold.

My first hockey memories are of watching my older sister play field hockey in high school in New York. She was my favorite sister, so I used to follow her around everywhere, and my mother used to take me to see her games starting when I was a toddler.

My first ice hockey memories involve watching games on TV with my dad as a small child, father-daughter bonding and all that. I went to my first Islanders game when I was 5. My memories are more sensory than anything else. I remember the atmosphere and the volume and the sound of the skates' blades on the ice. There was also this smell that I still, to this day, can't identify.

adambanks

Apr 25, 2006
I'd have to say the '94 playoffs. Most notably the flames / canucks series and bures overtime goal. i was 8 at the time. Canucks fan till bure left, since than, its been all Pittsburgh.

The Tourettes Guy

Aug 13, 2005
Sudbury
Even though I know I did watch hockey before 92, I would say 92 is the year I really started getting into hockey at the age of 10. My dad was a diehard Leafs fan and I was on board for a few years. For some reason I had it in me that I didn't want to root for a team because of my family and for about close to 2 years really didn't have a favourite team but watched all the time. I was in love with Yzerman but didn't consider the Wings my favourite team. I had always stayed up late to watch the Oilers in the late game of HNIC and had seen that they were a very quick team always going after the puck. I remember that night in 1997 when against my parents orders I stayed up late (im in ontario) and watched Marchant score the winner against Dallas in game 7 OT. After that moment I became an Oilers fan for life. I haven't regretted it since. That night really started my obsession over hockey and the Oilers. Just sucks that my team is 2093900324093209432909320493243 miles away.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Once I moved to California in 1996, I started following the Sharks, but I didn't become a die-hard fan till 1999 (my first Sharks home playoff game, and I've missed only 3 home playoff games since).

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
23 years.

I was 4 in 1983 when I caught my first Penguins game on TV. I was enthralled even though I had no idea what I was watching. My parents didn't know anything about hockey, so I pretty much had to learn everything on my own.

My neighbors, who were in their late teens/early 20s, let me play hockey with them one day when I was 6. And when Mario was drafted, they started playing a lot more games on TV so I could watch. I played street hockey every day between the ages of 7 and 10 on the tennis court in the park next door to my house. Then played ice hockey from 8th grade through college. Coached for a few years, but now I have a kid and a house so that got in the way of hockey.

I don't know what I would be like if it weren't for hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->