How long does it take you to get in shape??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Or get out of shape for that matter. Say if you were in "game shape", and then you did absolutely nothing....If you came back after a week, would you still be in pretty good shape? How about 2?

I've never really been in shape, I'm just curious. Or how long it would take you to get from couch potato (say 3 months off) to game ready.

I would think if I worked really hard, I could be in pretty good shape in 2-3 weeks....then again, maybe not.

Skk82

Mar 30, 2004
Arlington, VA
after my spring all-star game in march, i realized i'd played 17 months of straight hockey (10/03-3/05), between house leagues and 2 seasons of college hockey. i kept playing through a dislocated thumb, sprained shoulder and two banged up knees over the course of the hockey marathon.

since the end of march i've done literally nothing. i think i've only been to the gym 4 or 5 times that entire stretch. i just needed some time off to recharge myself and heal up.

but i'm starting land training on monday and i'm in a summer league that's getting going in 2 weeks....so i'll let you know. i have noticed that i've gained about 5 pounds (which is a big deal since i'm smaller) and aren't as cut. but a small price to pay since my body doesn't ache anymore.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
hmm... well my thing is... during the hockey season im on the ice probably about 15 hours a week (2 teams) and maybe 8 hours off ice.... this means I eat ALOT..... for the alst month.. i've been on the ice zero times... ran about 5 hours in the last month... but im still eaitng the same... and I've gained about 4 pounds... I think it'll probly take me about a week or so to lose that weight and get back in shape if I do some hardcore training

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
A top athlete will begin to lose his cardio fitness level over a weekend if he/she doesn't train. This isn't noticable for most of us, but for the "elite" it is very true.

Me, I'm on a endless weekend at the moment....I'll let you know

eaton28

Feb 5, 2005
i was out 6 months

when i got hurt i was 160 lbs. and when i started training i was 180 lbs.

now i am a solid 180 :yo:

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I don't really ever get out of the pattern of working out, practicing and playing except for the odd week in summer, and those usually take a couple of days to get over

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'm never in great shape but when I'm off the ice for two weeks or more it takes me at least a skate or two to feel good again. Sometimes longer. If I'm off for more than a month it takes me a good week or so of skating to feel comfortable again.

I'm just coming off my longest layoff in years, hadn't skated since early February until last week. I've been skating a couple hours a day with really good players (mostly AHL/NCAA/WHL) for a week now and just starting to feel confident in my play again. They still light me up pretty good though, I need to shed a few pounds and get quicker laterally.

allin4466

Apr 8, 2005
ugh. I was in really good shape cardio wise(could do long distance running), but had pretty weak arms.. well a few months ago my knees really started to hurt, so i stopped doing running and stuff(anything that impacts the knees) and started doing more weights. Well i finally got into the doctor last week.. and i have some weird condtion in my knees thats going to need physio for a few months. Well now, as it turns out, i cant do any long distance running for probably 3 months. I haven't had so little cardio exercise in years i dont think, so its going to be interesting to see come july or august what kind of times i can post.

PS: Has anybody that had knee problems ever started swimming while they couldnt run? if so, how did it work?

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
sirkraut_82 said:
after my spring all-star game in march, i realized i'd played 17 months of straight hockey (10/03-3/05), between house leagues and 2 seasons of college hockey. i kept playing through a dislocated thumb, sprained shoulder and two banged up knees over the course of the hockey marathon.

since the end of march i've done literally nothing. i think i've only been to the gym 4 or 5 times that entire stretch. i just needed some time off to recharge myself and heal up.

but i'm starting land training on monday and i'm in a summer league that's getting going in 2 weeks....so i'll let you know. i have noticed that i've gained about 5 pounds (which is a big deal since i'm smaller) and aren't as cut. but a small price to pay since my body doesn't ache anymore.
Which college do you play for?

KOVALEV10*

allin4466 said:
ugh. I was in really good shape cardio wise(could do long distance running), but had pretty weak arms.. well a few months ago my knees really started to hurt, so i stopped doing running and stuff(anything that impacts the knees) and started doing more weights. Well i finally got into the doctor last week.. and i have some weird condtion in my knees thats going to need physio for a few months. Well now, as it turns out, i cant do any long distance running for probably 3 months. I haven't had so little cardio exercise in years i dont think, so its going to be interesting to see come july or august what kind of times i can post.

PS: Has anybody that had knee problems ever started swimming while they couldnt run? if so, how did it work?

I've had knee problems when I used to play years ago and my knees really took a toll on me. I used to injure them often. Anyhow someone can correct me if I'm wrong but swimming is the best thing to do to exercies your knees/legs. Dont try too hard, dont try to jump just go ahead and swim. It really helps I think.. well it did to me.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Officer Jim Lahey said:
Or get out of shape for that matter. Say if you were in "game shape", and then you did absolutely nothing....If you came back after a week, would you still be in pretty good shape? How about 2?

I've never really been in shape, I'm just curious. Or how long it would take you to get from couch potato (say 3 months off) to game ready.

I would think if I worked really hard, I could be in pretty good shape in 2-3 weeks....then again, maybe not.

Well, ummm round is a shape :)

Actually, I'm about 20 pounds too heavy, but in darn good shape.Was getting a little out of shape about 2 years ago, so started working out 2-3 times a week , dropped 7 pounds and a pant size and now am in the best shape of my life .

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
octopi said:
Well, ummm round is a shape :)

Actually, I'm about 20 pounds too heavy, but in darn good shape.Was getting a little out of shape about 2 years ago, so started working out 2-3 times a week , dropped 7 pounds and a pant size and now am in the best shape of my life .

Oops forgot to say it took me a month or two. I wasn't in horrible shape to begin with, tho, just a lttle heavy. Not having a car I always spend a lot of time walking.

KOVALEV10 said:
I've had knee problems when I used to play years ago and my knees really took a toll on me. I used to injure them often. Anyhow someone can correct me if I'm wrong but swimming is the best thing to do to exercies your knees/legs. Dont try too hard, dont try to jump just go ahead and swim. It really helps I think.. well it did to me.

Swimming is great because there is no impact at all and the water acts as resistance. It's very good for strength and cardio, but does little for footwork or hand-eye coordination.

I find raquet sports great for both aspects; particularly tennis, but soccer is probably even better for footwork and cardio, but bad knees would obviously make that pretty tough on your body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille