Equipment: How long does a helmet last?

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Tough to say, but there are a few general rules of thumbs you can go by.

In itself, helmets don't technically 'expire'. Only their certification (and only the white US-only HECC certification) does, which some people think represents a 'best-before date'. As long as a helmet is stored in a reasonable area within a reasonable (as in within a decade) time frame, the materials themselves don't necessarily degrade.

However, if you've been wearing one regularly, it's best to replace it every 2-3 years to be on the safe side due to sweat, minor impacts etc.

If you've had a major impact on the helmet (even dropping it from a big distance), you should replace it.

Keep in mind that you may not be able to see structural weaknesses by simply looking.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
All helmets should have a certification sticker clearly stating a date range as to when the helmet is technically "legal" to use, and what certification standards it covers.

However, that is not always indicative of the overall strength, and safety of the helmet. You really need to use your best judgement. If it feels brittle, flimsy, warped, anything out of the ordinary- its time for a new one. If the padding is all worn, or falling out- its time for a new one. If it doesn't fit you properly- its time for a new one. I play with guys that have the best helmets on the market, and some that use CCM models from the mid 80's. Most rec/beer leagues(at least here in MA) don't ever check helmets as long as you are wearing it somewhat properly. If you playing in any sort of league outside a rec league, rules are pretty strict.

Its your head, and livelihood, use your best judgement in terms of the overall condition of your lid, and its usefulness in protecting your melon out there.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i usually buy new buckets when the straps or interior start to rot from mad sweat and goals.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
All helmets should have a certification sticker clearly stating a date range as to when the helmet is technically "legal" to use, and what certification standards it covers.

Canadians only require the red & blue CSA sticker for Hockey Canada sanctioned play. USA Hockey only requires the helmet to be within the certification date stated on the white HECC sticker.

Europe requires the small white CE sticker.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
HECC certification is not actually required for adult classifications by USA Hockey rules, however it does state that it must be a "hockey helmet". In practice this means adults can wear helmets with expired certifications.

Many local leagues require HECC certification anyway, which they're allowed to do, but it often goes unenforced. Most officials don't even know any rule variations by local leagues since we get tossed around from rink to rink all week. Not that we're going to go around and look at the stickers on the back of peoples' helmets anyway.

At the levels where certification is required, they're growing kids and certification lasts something like 5 years, so it's very likely that their helmet's certified without even having to look. Only scenario where it wouldn't be is if it were a kid using his older brother's helmet after he outgrew it or something.

To answer the OP, it's probably a good idea to replace a helmet every 3 years or so, and at minimum when its certification expires. It also depends on how often you use them. The 3-year recommendation is based on skating 2-3 games/sessions a week.

SunMaster

Oct 14, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I play hockey 2-3 times a week, and my helmet is 3-4 years. It's probably time to replace it. This time it'll be something comfortable :)

Islespuck89

Jan 9, 2012
Thanks for the replies. I play hockey 2-3 times a week, and my helmet is 3-4 years. It's probably time to replace it. This time it'll be something comfortable :)

My Helmet was 3 years past the expiration it was an old ccm ,still felt very solid but the foam inside was nasty and starting to peel. My 5yr old itech visor/shield combo was also done started to fog up all the antifog was gone.

I got new helmet and visor combo as it was on clearance and cheaper than buying just the visor. I can say this the new helmet is so freaking light holy crap, I don't know how I ever skated w/ the old one.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I know Usually after one or two Major Impacts, or after 2 years of smaller impacts. Obviously like AIREAYE said if it's stored well it will last longer, but usually people just keep it in their bag and let it get tossed around so I'm assuming you're one of those people. like me. so for people like that how often should it be replaced?

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
I know Usually after one or two Major Impacts, or after 2 years of smaller impacts. Obviously like AIREAYE said if it's stored well it will last longer, but usually people just keep it in their bag and let it get tossed around so I'm assuming you're one of those people. like me. so for people like that how often should it be replaced?

I apologize, this barely sounds like English.

I meant to say; I know they say after one or two major impacts, or 2-3 years of smaller impacts, and if it's stored well you can increase the length of it, but for me, who keeps their helmet in their bag just thrown around all the time, and playing a high level of hockey where every hit is a pretty big hit, will the length I need to replace it go down?

Goonzilla

Welcome to my house!
Feb 18, 2014
The rink ..too often
I find the biggest issue is the foam hardening. It seems to become softer and more pliable again with a little pushing and squeezing, but it can be time consuming playing around with it.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I find the biggest issue is the foam hardening. It seems to become softer and more pliable again with a little pushing and squeezing, but it can be time consuming playing around with it.

VN does become stiffer and less shock absorbent over time, which reduces both comfort and effectiveness, since VN works by cushioning an impact. You should probably think about replacing that helmet.

EPP is rigid and works by distributing an impact, so the calculus is a little different- with EPP, you should monitor for cracks, gouges and the like. The gel pads are just for comfort, it's no big deal if they're coming unglued or whatever, just stick 'em back. Though it is a PITA to get that glue out of your hair...

The plastic shells on both are designed to be rigid and distribute the impact- if there are cracks, they won't do that right, and the helmet needs to be replaced. But if the shell is in good shape and the liner is in good shape, your helmet should be fine for use, regardless of the liability dates on the certifications. They don't really bear any relation to the life of a helmet, other than that a new helmet is far less likely to have unnoticed damage.

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
I had a Nike Bauer 8500 for 6 years, could've worn it for more but I joined a different team and the colors no longer matched. My next helmet was a Reebok 11k, I used it for a full season and then got a concussion in the last game. For whatever reason the helmet hurt my head anytime I wore it after that, I don't know if it warped when I hit the boards or what, but I bought a Bauer Re-akt and I love it. I've used it for a year and it's just as comfortable as when I got it.

I guess what I'm saying is it really depends on the helmet you get.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
I don't recommend that anyone take this approach.:shakehead

I've had 5 concussions in 3 years playing non-contact. I don't **** around when it comes to my helmets. They also usually last around 2 months. I'm basically always out. I don't play forward competitvely anymore. I was going to play forward in college but had a chance to switch to goalie so I took it. Still play forward in adult league though.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I've had 5 concussions in 3 years playing non-contact. I don't **** around when it comes to my helmets. They also usually last around 2 months. I'm basically always out. I don't play forward competitvely anymore. I was going to play forward in college but had a chance to switch to goalie so I took it. Still play forward in adult league though.

If every "top" helmet fits equally as well on your head, then more power to you. That's not the case for most people.

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
If every "top" helmet fits equally as well on your head, then more power to you. That's not the case for most people.

Well that's why I haven't moved to a better helmet. The ReAKT fits me too well.

Anyways, I think with better technology, the better the helmets get, and I personally don't want to be wearing an inferior helmet.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad