How long do you think the Jets will be good for?

DancesWithWookies

Aug 22, 2011
I'm talking like top of the league, maybe top 10 team. My guess is about 6 more years after this one. Then we call back unless we get some high draft pick miracles. Cap is going to make it hard to keep talent. Hope we don't fall as hard as Chicago or LA.

Thoughts?

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
All depends on how we handle the cap and future assets while not pandering to much to aging vets. Chicago was pretty solid for about 9 years from 2009-2017, winning 3 Cups in that time and making it to the conference finals another 2 times. You need to draft well, trade well and maximize your cap situation to remain competitive but eventually you are likely to fall off at some point and rebuild again. Some will say Detroit was competitive for decades but they also got gifted the Russian 5 and then managed to draft some superstars in late rounds in an era where Euro's were still heavily underrated at the draft. I don't think you can be that kind of organization without being in the right place at the right time with the right people.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
We'll see how the team make up is in 2 years.

How long Morrissey and Laine signs.

Im not adding Trouba as Jets had 2 crack at him.

After 1-2 years we might see decline in

Wheeler Buff and Little from their high level of play. Myers and Perrault might be gone.
Thats 5 key pieces that needs a high level replacement plus Trouba.

Jets can be top 6 again but they need
A
2C
1RD
And 1 top 50 winger in the future 3 to 5 down the road.

Lots of moving parts hard to know.

But this next 2 years. For sure
Then we see.....

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
All depends on how we handle the cap and future assets while not pandering to much to aging vets. Chicago was pretty solid for about 9 years from 2009-2017, winning 3 Cups in that time and making it to the conference finals another 2 times. You need to draft well, trade well and maximize your cap situation to remain competitive but eventually you are likely to fall off at some point and rebuild again. Some will say Detroit was competitive for decades but they also got gifted the Russian 5 and then managed to draft some superstars in late rounds in an era where Euro's were still heavily underrated at the draft. I don't think you can be that kind of organization without being in the right place at the right time with the right people.

I think it can be done for a very long time ..... in theory. In practice it is highly unlikely that any one organization is going to keep making all the right choices to optimize the assets. Jets have already made a couple of poor ones, IMO and a couple more that were questionable. Then there are ones like Wheeler's contract. The timing of that made optimizing that asset almost impossible. Maybe in 5 years we are saying that he should have been traded when his value was high rather than extended for too much and too long. But I can't see us contending this year and last with whatever we would have gotten for him.

Reactions: Spock

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
We will be competitive until Scheifele's next contract kicks in with the 2024-25 season. Our true ace in the hole right now is having a top 5 center at about $5 M less than he would get on the open market. Scheifele is loyal and the organization is loyal to the bone and his next contract will be an effort to make up for that IMO. At that point we will have become the Kings and the Hawks. I just hope we have a couple Cups in the bag by then.

Reactions: ps241

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I think it can be done for a very long time ..... in theory. In practice it is highly unlikely that any one organization is going to keep making all the right choices to optimize the assets. Jets have already made a couple of poor ones, IMO and a couple more that were questionable. Then there are ones like Wheeler's contract. The timing of that made optimizing that asset almost impossible. Maybe in 5 years we are saying that he should have been traded when his value was high rather than extended for too much and too long. But I can't see us contending this year and last with whatever we would have gotten for him.

Yeah he's more useful to us in our current window to have on the ice. There are always going to be should of and would of's. But we have made some great choices as well.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
How long do you think the Jets will be good for?

For this forum?

Until they give up a goal in tonight's GDT.

In the grand scheme of things, they should be competitive so long as they can sign their aces and maintain and develop their pipeline -- no more trading top picks for rentals.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Last year. The slow decline has already started. Little, Wheeler and Buff will age out. Trouba will leave for minimal returns. Helly may not be the Vezina level goalie we need. Another expansion draft coming. Our prospect pool looks bleak, and will get worse if we continue trading draft picks for rentals. I don't see a top 10 team in 2-3 years.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Great as in top 5 this year. Then we will still be good and hopefully upset some teams in playoffs to make some nice runs

Atlanta trio will decline big time by 20-21 season
Laine Connor will make 16 mill a year compared to 5ish with bonus now
Don't see us finding a backup as good as this for under 1,000,000 again

Myers Trouba gone soon
Prospect pool is worst we have had since team came here.

Hopefully Trouba trade brings 2 grade A prospects which fixes that issue

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Last year. The slow decline has already started. Little, Wheeler and Buff will age out. Trouba will leave for minimal returns. Helly may not be the Vezina level goalie we need. Another expansion draft coming. Our prospect pool looks bleak, and will get worse if we continue trading draft picks for rentals. I don't see a top 10 team in 2-3 years.

Is this serious?

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country

Dip stick answer from you as usual.

2 more years min to be a “great”/cup contender team.

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This team is young.

It is our time now.

giphy.gif

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i will counter your post.

out of Stanley, Chisholm, Poolman, Samberg, Niku and Vallati (yes, him. look at his points total. 5 more points in 20 fewer games than last year), the Jets will get 3 legit NHL guys. Any stars? Not likely. but i can see 3 guys being solid 3-6 D-men. that isn't bleak.

we have Comrie with a bounceback year at a time where, really, we don't need a solid goalie prospect.

Forwards are pretty thin. But Appleton and (i can't believe i am typing this) Lemieux in the big show with Vesalainen coming next year, we aren't looking bad at all. after that, we're a bit thin, with Suess maybe being our next nhl-ready prospect (yikes)? Spacek, Mackenzie and Harkins are all longshots, but one might make it up, maybe.

forwardwise, we don't have much. but you're also worried about the expansion draft and we also don't have any roster spots for guys to take (see: Petan, Nic). so i'm fine with things being thinner for the next 2 years, especially up front.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
The Jets are going to be the New England Patriots of the NHL (minus the cheating).
And I am only partially joking..

Crazed Fan

Jul 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Depends on Chevy and his drafting. Based on his history, a competitive team could last for quite some time. 10+ years.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
I think we'll be a playoff team for at least the next 6 years (including this one). After that season Scheif, Little, Wheeler, Helle will all be UFA and our team control of Morrissey, Laine and Connor will be over as well. Ehlers will still be under contract so at least we have that. Also some of the young guys could decide to commit long term and not Trouba us.

After that who knows. Hopefully we'll still be good but that really depends on the guys drafted in the next 3-4 years. Who is the 16 year old kid that makes or breaks us?

I do think our best chance at a cup is this year or next year. After this year our RD is going to take a hit and depending on bridge deals we may start having cap casualties. (Matty P, Kulikov, Myers, etc.) Can the steps forward from Laine, Connor, Ehlers, Niku, Lemeiux, Appleton, Lowry, etc make up for that loss. (I think they can.)

Trouba is the real problem. If we keep him next year to maximize our best chance at the cup we could also bridge Connor and Laine to try to really load up one more time. After that I think we'll still be good, but will be on the way back down a bit, still a playoff team but maybe not a true contender. It depends how the holes in the back end are filled. We do have some promising guys coming, but will any of them be a top pair RHD and who replaces Buff when his contract is up?

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
In three years I see the following players in their prime or approaching it:

Laine
Ehlers
Connor
Schief
Roslovic
Appleton
Lemieux
Petan
Copp
Lowry
Vesalainen
Gustafsson

Niku
Morrissey
Samberg
Nogier

Helle
Comrie
Berdin

Also, Kovasevic, Spacek, Gawanke, Chisholm, Green, Stanley have shots at becoming NHL'ers.

Add what we get back in a trouba trade. Two more solid high end prospects there.

That's 21 players at least.

We are set up for some time. Can the above group win the Cup? Maybe, maybe not but they will have a base to be strong competitor.

Reactions: Jedub

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
At least scheifele's contract.

Hes the oldest out of the players that were drafted first round by the jets
Everyone else is young and if Chevy can get these guys to all nice long term contracts
It should be good til scheifele needs to sign another contract

Reactions: VictoriaJetsFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad