How long before Vegas misses the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

405Entrance

Feb 8, 2020
It depends on how the guys in LA, ANA, VC develop. If the oilers can get their shit together then it’ll be harder for them but their biggest threats will be avs, ducks, kings, and Canucks

Reactions: wetcoast

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I doubt it happens for like 20+ years if I'm being honest. They'll remain to be a team to attract superstars in ways no other team can. I can almost call they're going to land Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel where it makes everything a lot more interesting.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It depends on how the guys in LA, ANA, VC develop. If the oilers can get their shit together then it’ll be harder for them but their biggest threats will be avs, ducks, kings, and Canucks

Pretty much this and while I don't expect them to miss the playoffs in the next 2 to 3 years that’s a really long time in the current NHL and a lot can happen, ie bad luck injuries etc.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Not gonna happen for a very long time... Vegas will be a UFA hotspot for a very very long time. I'm sure Vegas is extremely high on every free agents list and alot of guys will take less money to go there.

They have already built a winning culture, living is cheap, it's gorgeous there, crowd is bananas and you don't need to own a pair of pants if you don't want lol

They will be a contender for many many years

Reactions: ChanceVegas

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
The Golden Knights have been in existence for just 4 seasons...and have been to the playoffs each and every one of them. They were a tie-breaker away from the President's Trophy this season.

The Knights are possibly off to the best multi-season start for any expansion team in the big 4 leagues.

So, this brings me to this - when will Vegas miss the playoffs for the first time?
Yes it doesn't seem fair that their fans are spoiled and haven't gone for years missing the playoffs, there have been no bad years for them and they look like they're going to be strong for more years.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
Yes it doesn't seem fair that their fans are spoiled and haven't gone for years missing the playoffs, there have been no bad years for them and they look like they're going to be strong for more years.
Colorado fans were also spoiled at first, but they learned to suffer. Vegas' time will come.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
No state income tax probably helps. As does having a brand new arena + practice center.

Signing both Stone + Piets was huge, but the flat cap probably helped them sign the latter last year.

It's mainly the winning that makes Vegas a top UFA destination. I wouldn't be shocked if Carolina/Tampa/Vegas have a long run of supremacy at the top of the league (Colorado's window may be shorter because they lack a strong drafting record outside of the 1st round). An underrated aspect of Vegas' success is that their drafting has been incredibly efficient and strong. It shows not necessarily through rote value on the team, but rather through the trade value that's been accumulated to get guys like Pacioretty and Stone, among others.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
When they hire a GM who destroys them with awful trades, bad picks, terrible UFA signings, cap management, bad coaching hires.

McPhee and McCrimmon seem like long-termers, though. I will argue that bad drafting tends to be more of a systemic thing than on one individual. GMs can make a huge difference with just trades and signings, however.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
The expansion draft rules are just terrible now. A new team coming in is instantly given a better chance than over 50% of the current league. I get why, you wanna get the new market attracted right away, revenue etc. bla bla, just sucks as a fan of an existing team but meh. They prob won't miss the playoffs for at least another 5 years.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The expansion draft rules are just terrible now. A new team coming in is instantly given a better chance than over 50% of the current league. I get why, you wanna get the new market attracted right away, revenue etc. bla bla, just sucks as a fan of an existing team but meh. They prob won't miss the playoffs for at least another 5 years.
I don’t think this is the case. What happened in Vegas was a sports miracle. That will never happen again. That’s some Hollywood movie script stuff we witnessed.

Reactions: ChanceVegas

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I doubt it happens for like 20+ years if I'm being honest. They'll remain to be a team to attract superstars in ways no other team can. I can almost call they're going to land Connor McDavid or Jack Eichel where it makes everything a lot more interesting.
20+ years?

There are only a handful of teams in NHL history who have been able to do that. Maybe they could do it (anything is possible), but just being able to attract select players in free agency doesn't make a playoff team continue to be a playoff team indefinitely.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
20+ years?

There are only a handful of teams in NHL history who have been able to do that. Maybe they could do it (anything is possible), but just being able to attract select players in free agency doesn't make a playoff team continue to be a playoff team indefinitely.

Their low tax rates say otherwise. Which is why the NHL needs to do a tax-cap so taxes aren't included within the players contract, it would be but after but it would make it irrelevant on where they'd make more money wherever they played.

May 17, 2009
Maine
They're gonna win more cups than times they'll miss the playoffs by 2050.

I will likely be dead by then but if you are still around please hire a medium to let me know if this is accurate. Fascinating prediction, actually.

EDIT: So fascinating that I just looked at some history on how many teams have won the SC more times than they have missed the PO over a 30 year period. Since expansion I believe only Montreal and Boston have done it. Pittsburgh will have done it if they make the playoffs next year. The Wings, did 'as many' but not more.

EDIT2: Error in the above, Pittsburgh has done it. COVID has me thinking that it is still 2020.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chinaski89

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Their low tax rates say otherwise. Which is why the NHL needs to do a tax-cap so taxes aren't included within the players contract, it would be but after but it would make it irrelevant on where they'd make more money wherever they played.
Them having a high or low tax rate isn't the issue. Relying solely on free agency to keep your team a playoff contender will not work long term.

Maybe they can get some good players in the draft during that time, but without picking high in the first round it will be much more difficult. Most of their core is either around 30 or over 30 years old. In order to go another 16 years they would have to replace those players in some capacity. Free agency is very unlikely to be the solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad