How long before USA hockey surpasses Canada's?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I expected more elite players making an impact for the USA. They had some great drafts the last 4 years. I'm not sure if that is enough to overtake Canada, they definitely improved their international ranking though. Eichel and Matthews aren't playing to their potential. #2 to McDavid and #1 the year after. Those 2 should be the best forwards for USA for the next 10 years.

member 305909

This topic reminds me of a similar topic about people saying that very soon soccer will be the #1 sport in the USA as well. They have been saying that at least 30 years. Very soon indeed.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
In 1996, after the World Cup of hockey in which the USA beat Canada for the title in a 3 game series, I was told it was already happening and inevitable.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When the US can produce enough talent year after year to contend for all of the various IIHF tournaments while missing key players due to either playoff involvement (WC's), making the NHL as phenoms (U20's) or simply not have lulls in developing talent from year to year (looking at you, Hlinka roster for this summer...). They've closed the gap with Canada (and so too have the Swedes and Finns judging by tournament play and talent influx into the league), but they aren't surpassing the Canadians yet nor likely for the near future.

More people playing the game will continue to drive that. Involvement is a great way to propagate talent in the league.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
US will never surpass Canada in hockey, Americans but not all for the most part have difficulties understanding international hockey, you can't just "surpass" another nation in hockey, particularity when that nation is Canada.

Americans love to have this fantasy that Canada is stuck in neutral while the US is stuck in drive when it comes to hockey..for whatever bizarre reason that is, it appears to be fact around these parts.

Canada has had more success in the world juniors in recent years and Americans also continually display their ignorance over the IIHF-18 tournament, a tournament in which Canada is unable to send its best players, many Americans love to use this argument but they conveniently refuse to bring up the Ivan Hlinka/Gretzky Cup which is also an U-18 tournament but Canada actually can send its best to it, the results are gold every damn year for Canada.

But all that aside it all comes down to a very simply reality. The US hasn't won ANYTHING at the international level of note since 1996. The US hasn't captured an Olympic Gold since 1980, the US hasn't captured a IIHF World Championship since the Dirty Thirties!!!..even after this past tournament when they sent one of their best rosters in years.

The reality is the US is the only major hockey playing country that has not won a medal at the MENS LEVEL period in this currently century, every single major country has, even the Slovakians have a gold at the mens level in 2002.

Like others have mentioned above, Canadians have been hearing this propaganda about the "Americans are coming" blah blah blah, only to watch them crash and burn out of every single mens tournament for decades upon decades. I mean just look at the Blues, the team with the most Canadians on the roster went on to win the cup, what a surprise.

Sorry for the rant but it's just perplexing to me where Americans even get off with the nerve to even attempt to compare American hockey to Canada, the history of success is very much NON EXISTENT..but no ask many American hockey fans and they quite literally act like they have piles of gold medals in this sport. I've never seen anything like it amongst another other nationality of fans in any other sport when they actually have little success.

To summarize, there is absolutely zero signs the US will surpass Canada in hockey, win a mens tournament in this century first then maybe we can talk about the US being on the level of countries like Finland, a country the US is also currently behind.

Reactions: cg98

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
P.S.S.

With an inexpensive sport like soccer advancing and giving kids in both countries an alternative (the MLS), an EXPENSIVE sport like hockey may lose on both sides of the border - altho, I have been hearing this argument for 50 years.
Soccer right now has the same problem hockey does: if you want to get good you better have a shitload of money. Wasn't the case when I was coming up in the sport, but anymore to have a real shot you need to go to one of these for profit academies like IMG which, unless you're upper middle class or upper class, is flat out not financially possible. Exceptions happen but we're not going much of anywhere until more of a European club-run style academy system is in place and wide spread in either country when it comes to soccer.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Soccer right now has the same problem hockey does: if you want to get good you better have a ****load of money. Wasn't the case when I was coming up in the sport, but anymore to have a real shot you need to go to one of these for profit academies like IMG which, unless you're upper middle class or upper class, is flat out not financially possible. Exceptions happen but we're not going much of anywhere until more of a European club-run style academy system is in place and wide spread in either country when it comes to soccer.
I didn't realize soccer had gotten expensive.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
The game is going faster and smaller each season it seems,
i think this is a huge advantage to small and skilled US born players, who are coming in numbers, more and more.

In the upcoming U17 USDP season, there is yet another small, reall skilled player there; Jeremy Wilmer (2021 Draft eligible)
he is even smaller what Caufield.

Wilmer is 5 foot 5 / 120 lbs center | 17-18: 121 points (52 goals), 18-19: 155 points (62 goals)
is committed to Boston University, NCAA

2019-2020 U17 USDP has tons of really talented players, future 1st round picks (5-7 is my opinion)
16 x U 6 feet tall players, 11 of them are under 5 foot 11.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Shockingly so at the higher levels. It's mostly a recent change in this regard as well as I'm only in my late 30s but the prices at the higher levels now are astronomical compared to even 20 years ago.
But where would the costs be?

With hockey, it's ever changing equipment. With soccer, all you need is a pair of shoes.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Its already in the process. Hockey Canada is falling far behind USA and Finland for development. Hockey Canada and minor leagues prioritize winning and systems over skill development

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Is there really a trend in reduction in the gap for top talent between Canada and the US.

From say 1994 to 2006 US felt quite close to the Canada for the top team they could ice, between them in 1996 quite legitimately (Lemieux wasn't playing, sure, but on the ice it was not some fluke), while the 2003-2005 draft Canada elite team has pretty much been unbeaten in best v best competition, 2010/2014/World Cup, felt like the cap between Canada and the rest grew a little bit versus going down.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
US will never surpass Canada in hockey, Americans but not all for the most part have difficulties understanding international hockey, you can't just "surpass" another nation in hockey, particularity when that nation is Canada.

Americans love to have this fantasy that Canada is stuck in neutral while the US is stuck in drive when it comes to hockey..for whatever bizarre reason that is, it appears to be fact around these parts.

Canada has had more success in the world juniors in recent years and Americans also continually display their ignorance over the IIHF-18 tournament, a tournament in which Canada is unable to send its best players, many Americans love to use this argument but they conveniently refuse to bring up the Ivan Hlinka/Gretzky Cup which is also an U-18 tournament but Canada actually can send its best to it, the results are gold every damn year for Canada.

But all that aside it all comes down to a very simply reality. The US hasn't won ANYTHING at the international level of note since 1996. The US hasn't captured an Olympic Gold since 1980, the US hasn't captured a IIHF World Championship since the Dirty Thirties!!!..even after this past tournament when they sent one of their best rosters in years.

The reality is the US is the only major hockey playing country that has not won a medal at the MENS LEVEL period in this currently century, every single major country has, even the Slovakians have a gold at the mens level in 2002.

Like others have mentioned above, Canadians have been hearing this propaganda about the "Americans are coming" blah blah blah, only to watch them crash and burn out of every single mens tournament for decades upon decades. I mean just look at the Blues, the team with the most Canadians on the roster went on to win the cup, what a surprise.

Sorry for the rant but it's just perplexing to me where Americans even get off with the nerve to even attempt to compare American hockey to Canada, the history of success is very much NON EXISTENT..but no ask many American hockey fans and they quite literally act like they have piles of gold medals in this sport. I've never seen anything like it amongst another other nationality of fans in any other sport when they actually have little success.

To summarize, there is absolutely zero signs the US will surpass Canada in hockey, win a mens tournament in this century first then maybe we can talk about the US being on the level of countries like Finland, a country the US is also currently behind.

what the f*** are you talking about?? this is one of the worst posts I have seen on here in ages. you should feel ashamed for this post and anyone that had to stomach the attempt at getting through this drivel. the US hasn't won a medal for men's hockey in this century???? 2002 Olympic Games, team USA played for the Gold..2010 Olympic Games, team USA played yet again for the Gold..you do know what happens when a team plays for the Gold right???? they get a medal..win or lose.. :laugh::laugh::laugh: ..let's also ignore the bronze medal we won last year at the World Championships...:laugh: my lord is this post beyond f***ing brutal, ignorant and completely and utterly false! I truly hope this is shtick...

Last edited:

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
USA hockey clearly produced a great group this year and as th game grows, it won't be ling. Canada will still produce elite players though.

member 305909

If that certain OT in 2010 had gone the other way this question would have been asked already back then.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If that certain OT in 2010 had gone the other way this question would have been asked already back then.
It was asked in 1996 after the World cup , it never happened though.

The o.p phrases the title like it's already a foregone conclusion, but history has shown it isn't.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
It was asked in 1996 after the World cup , it never happened though.

The o.p phrases the title like it's already a foregone conclusion, but history has shown it isn't.
just funny that the OP is no American as well...as far as I can tell from Edmonton - blame your own people for this dumb ass thread lol!

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
just funny that the OP is no American as well...as far as I can tell from Edmonton - blame your own people for this dumb ass thread lol!
I don't think it's so much a matter of blame, it's just a thread about a topic that is fairly innocent, although it's a thread that pops up once a year so it is kind of tiresome.

I was just pointing it out that it's far from a far gone conclusion like he seems to imply here, the fact he could be from Edmonton didn't really factor into anything for me in my reply, I would have said the same thing if the poster had been from anywhere.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't think it's so much a matter of blame, it's just a thread about a topic that is fairly innocent, although it's a thread that pops up once a year so it is kind of tiresome.

I was just pointing it out that it's far from a far gone conclusion like he seems to imply here, the fact he could be from Edmonton didn't really factor into anything for me in my reply, I would have said the same thing if the poster had been from anywhere.
I wasn't suggesting that you were saying anything other than that- just this thread is stupid and started by a Canuck lol..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad