How long before team USA is on par with Canada?

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I understand why, though. It’s their baby so to speak. It’s ingrained in their culture. It’s a way of life for them.

It’s the same way we would scoff at them if someone were to say they’d eventually beat us in basketball or football.

This. Being an American and playing junior hockey in Canada i was blown away with how big of a deal Crosby’s “golden goal” was at the time. It was a huge thing. More than 99% of Americans couldn’t tell you what Crosby’s golden goal was. Just how it is

Reactions: dukeofjive

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
A little off topic, but I’d love to see a stat that shows the numbers by state of where the youth hockey players are coming from in the US.

An uneducated guess, but a guess either way, I’d say that close to 95%, if extended across the country, are coming from above the Mason Dixon line.
It would also be interesting to see a graph showing the correlation between an NHL team moving into a state like Arizona or Texas and a boom in youth hockey.

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
USA has won international tournaments but they've been stymied at the Olympics. I'd say they are very close to being on par right now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
And you made the decion because of the pay?
I can't speak for him but I can tell you my son's story. He started skating lessons at 4, started playing hockey at 5, and played baseball during the spring. He did take a few years off from baseball as a 7-8 year old and played summer basketball or football those seasons instead. At 10 he was invited to play both travel hockey and that summer played his first travel baseball tournament. I told him he could play 2 sports at the rec level if he wanted but on the travel level he'd have to choose. He played rec one more year of both and broke my heart by trying out for the local travel baseball team. By 12 he was playing on his school team and a travel team. I asked him last year why he choose baseball over hockey and he said he liked playing in front of his classmates, and it there's just a higher stigma at his school to be the starting pitcher (more than a few really good baseball players from his school including David Price and Zander Wiel). I don't know here how hockey can win since each school doesn't have a rink and going into Nashville for each game prevents large crowds.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Canada has guys they have relied on aging quickly.

US has a bunch of young talent that may be a little better but def. on par with Canada.

Like someone else stated. As hockey becomes more popular here, that gap will begin to close much quicker.

Problem is, hockey here is probably the 4th or 5th most popular sport. We aren’t born here and shoved into the sport or idolize hockey players growing up.

If you are a very good athlete, these other sports pay a heck of a lot better than hockey. So I still don’t think that’s American hockey is getting its best athletes.

Yeah that McDavid guy, MacKinnon, Point, Scheifele all aging

Reactions: tntkid

Herschel

Dec 8, 2009
Success in any sport at the elite level comes down to a combination of three factors

1) population - as in pool of players playing the game
2) funding - as in across all levels
3) culture significance - as in how much does the average person care about the sport

At the moment Canada leads all other nations in all three areas however in the first two the USA has closed the gap considerably and in the next decade or two will likely have more youth hockey players than Canada.

The interesting conversation is around culture significance as it is very much a double-edged sword. The more a nation cares about a sport the more likely the top athletes play the sport which in turns leads to producing more high-end players. It also leads to an increase in funding, not as much at the national program level but at the lower levels.

However the more a nation cares about a sport the more likely early development programs are replaced by competitive programs which drive up the cost of playing and increase the drop out rates. Both of these have a negative impact on the production of high-end players. Canada tends to lean heavily towards a competitive program which is why smaller nations like Sweden produce elite players at a high rate.

IMO as the game of hockey grows the USA will overtake Canada in the number of youth hockey players but at the same time shift away from what its successful development model and start to produce a lower percentage of elite players. At this point, assuming Canada also retains a competitive model, they will be as close to par on the ice at the Olympic level.

DualThreat23

Nov 28, 2018
The US has an absolute boatload of young exciting talent coming up.. with guys like Eichel, Matthews, the Tkachuk bros, Connor, Boeser, and guys like Seth Jones and Trouba on the back end. How soon do you think these guys can be on par with team Canada at the olympics? (Provided the NHL actually goes). I’m a Canadian but the future of US hockey and team USA is bright as ever, and it’s pretty scary tbh...

USA I would say is gaining ground on the rest of the world, but as good as their young core is at the moment, their depth of young talent will be very hard-pressed to ever pass Canada.

McDavid, MacKinnon, Marner, Monahan, Point, Scheifele, Chabot, Reilly, Domi, Huberdeau, Dubois, and Barzal are just a small collection of guys 25 or under, having great years, and are Canadian. I am sure I am missing some obvious names on that list, but it's likely that several of the guys on this list will never even make an Olympic team for Canada. I honestly think USA is on par with a Canadian B Team, but they aren't closing in on Canada's creme de la creme.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
They won't. Canada has the best international team by a country mile and will continue to do so.

How tf does anyone beat a 1-2 center punch of McDavid/Crosby? Then there are guys like Bergeron/Seguin/Stamkos/Point at 3c. A lot of the best dmen in the league in Doughty/Burns/Petro etc. Price/Holtby in net. Canada is unbeatable.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Even team Finland top 6 is better than USA

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Granlund - Aho - Teräväinen

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Canada's depth is very hard to match.

Plus, it's not just depth but the quality of talent at the top too (McDavid, Crosby, Mackinnon, Tavares, Doughty, Burns).

So many young stars miss out simply because there's no room for them.

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
No knock on the USA but i still dont see them taking over the first spot in the world, they do have the population for it but more people does not mean they will produce more high end talent.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Even team Finland top 6 is better than USA

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Granlund - Aho - Teräväinen

Finland is having a bit of a golden era but so is America

Kane-Matthews-Kessel
Guadreau-Eichel-Wheeler

I actually think America has the best top 6 wingers of any nation

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
They won't. Canada has the best international team by a country mile and will continue to do so.

How tf does anyone beat a 1-2 center punch of McDavid/Crosby? Then there are guys like Bergeron/Seguin/Stamkos/Point at 3c. A lot of the best dmen in the league in Doughty/Burns/Petro etc. Price/Holtby in net. Canada is unbeatable.

Well they could try the 'Gary Suter' approach I suppose. They've tried it before.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow

Kane-Matthews-Kessel
Guadreau-Eichel-Wheeler

USA has pretty good top6 also but it's not as good as Finnish top6 though ;)

Rantanen leading the points and assists in NHL
Laine leading the goals
Barkov is top3 center in the league
Granlund point per game player and the best in Minnesota
Aho and Teräväinen the best players in Carolina

Reactions: dlam

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013

Kane-Matthews-Kessel
Guadreau-Eichel-Wheeler