How long before Laviolette gets canned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Let me make this abundantly clear..this is not an endorsement....I think he's a good coach for the most part but has a short shelf life. It's just seems that unfortunately Lavi's shelf life is expiring here too. Lots of suggestions that his message is waning with the team and it seems there is more of rift developing. Not absolving the players of their responsibility to perform just noting that as we all know you can't fire the team especially when you have your core players and leaders tied up in long term contracts.

This situation is reminding me of the Barber situation where Primeau and other players just lost it with Barber when he couldn't adjust strategy in the playoffs and just told the players "they have to work harder." Unfortunately, it's not that easy especially when it's clear you are being outcoached. Lavi this year was fundamentally outcoached and he almost got us kicked out of the first round with the Leighton decision in game 6.

Everybody is entitled to a bad year but unfortunately with the coach it's not that simple since the players can easily lose trust in his message and I fear that is happening.

Anyway....IMO he gets relieved mid way through the season ala Stevens but if they have a slow start he could be Hitchcocked. Sadly it won't be a two for one deal like with Hitch and Clarke..since Holmgren is immune thanks to Snider's "la cosa nostra" philosophy.....

Said it last year...if Snider was not so loyally blind and hard headed he would have made a pitch for Yzerman a proven winnner. Sure he had no GM experience but people like him are not mince meat or come along very often. :shakehead

Last edited:

swflyers93

Nov 19, 2007
Norristown, PA
He isn't getting canned. His way works. He can't help if the Flyers decide to coast to end the season. Certain players need to have a good "Come to Jesus" meeting with Lavy and Homer to identify and explain what their roles are. Like our captain, like Jeff Carter, Hartnell. The young guys have nothing to be ashamed about. Timonen has to wonder if he is done because he looked slow this playoff run.

Let me make this abundantly clear..this is not an endorsement....I think he's a good coach for the most part but has a short shelf life. It's just seems that unfortunately Lavi's shelf life is expiring here too. Lots of suggestions that his message is waning with the team and it seems there is more of rift developing. Not absolving the players of their responsibility to perform just noting that as we all now you can't fire the team especially when you have your core players and leaders tied up in long term contracts.

This situation is reminding me of the Barber situation where Primeau and other players just lost it with Barber when he couldn't adjust strategy in the playoffs and just told the players "they have to work harder." Unfortunately, it not that easy especially when it's clear you are being outcoached. Lavi this year was fundamentally outcoached and he almost got us kicked out of the first round with the Leighton decision in game 6.

Everybody is entitled to a bad year but unfortunately with the coach it's not that simple since the players can easily lose trust in his message and I fear that is happening.

Anyway....IMO he gets relieved mid way through the season ala Stevens but if they have a slow start he could be Hitchcocked. Sadly it won't be a two for one deal like with Hitch and Clarke..since Holmgren is immune thanks to Snider's "la cosa nostra" philosophy.....

Said it last year...if Snider was not so loyally blind and hard headed he would have made a pitch for Yzerman a proven winnner. Sure he had no GM experience but people like him are not mince meat or come along very often. :shakehead

If you fire him tomorrow New Jersey, Dallas, or Florida hires him by Monday morning.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
If you fire him tomorrow New Jersey, Dallas, or Florida hires him by Monday morning.

NJ supposedly wants Hitch.....but yeah no doubt if he's canned somebody will snag him for a couple of years. Again this poll is not meant to be personal so people should treat it as a possible business decision due to irreconcilable differences that may be developing. IMO Holmgren needs to bring in some new players that buy into Lavi's message and will rein in those that don't or won't....

FlyerSithLord

Aug 31, 2007
Tinicum
www.delvalparanormal.org
I thought Lavy had a rough year. Hopefully we can have a healthy defense next year and I actual goalie. Even though he seemed stubborn and panicky in the playoffs, he did seem like he was trying to change his stubborn ways near the end of the regular season (not pushing as hard, days off, etc.)

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think any of them, but the 3rd is the closest to what I think. Laviolette was actually a part of the problem if you ask me. He cracked the whip way too much during the season, and it tired the players out. Combined with the fact that we had such a short offseason last year, the players were flat out tired and done. Look at how many guys were getting maintenance days at the end of the year. It wasn't for a lack of desire, it was just that they had nothing left. I think Laviolette realized this, but when he did it was too late. Hopefully starting next year he'll crack the whip a little bit less, and let up on them a little bit to keep them fresh for the playoffs when it really matters.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
i dont know how to answer this one, cuz other then a few bobbles i dont see Lavi as being such a problem that he needs to go..

even if he went who else and what style of coaching would you replace him with..

i think hes done a good job with what he had to work with..

Yoshimitsu

Sep 18, 2007
Laviolette was absolutely dreadful in the playoffs. He badly mishandled the goaltending situation, was unable to determine which match ups were best for the Flyers and failed to get them on the ice at crucial moments (even at home) and made downright puzzling lineup decisions. He definitely deserves his fair share of the blame for how the season ended.

With that being said, I don't think he deserves to be fired and I don't think he will be fired. He's still a pretty good coach, and the process of firing him and finding a new coach is a risky proposition. Even if they do fire him, the chances of finding someone better are murky at best.

decadentia

Jun 21, 2007
New Brunswick
Never, and if he tries to leave we're going to do this.

869277545_15e31b2913.jpg

Haute Couturier

Feb 28, 2007
Philadelphia
Bill Meltzer was saying how he has lost the room. I don't think he will be canned yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is gone at the end of his contract.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think it depends on how the team starts out next season. they aren't going to fire him in the offseason so it is going to hinge on next season. If they are in last place by Christmas, he's gone. If they are fine, he's staying until the team starts to tank.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
He is not getting fired unless the team is terrible next year. He took us to the SCF last year, and it is not his fault the players just ran out of gas this year.

Although I will say he learned a valuable lesson this year. It is a long season and he needs to pace the work. That is why he took so many practices off at the end of the year. He realized that he had probably over worked the players.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
Just because he is coaching a bunch of bums doesn't mean he is gonna get fired. He will be here next season.

SgtJoseph*

I see no reason to get rid of a coach that has been successful 2 years in a row......The team bombed during the late season and playoffs, but i do not see any of that Lavys fault.......JVR had tons of missed chances, as did briere, Girioux etc during the playoffs.His system works, but the players gotta bury more of their shots....Its that simple.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I see no reason to get rid of a coach that has been successful 2 years in a row......The team bombed during the late season and playoffs, but i do not see any of that Lavys fault.......JVR had tons of missed chances, as did briere, Girioux etc during the playoffs.His system works, but the players gotta bury more of their shots....Its that simple.
Blaming three guys who actually showed up in the playoffs?

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
This season..........

He improved the games of Meszaros/Carle/Giroux

Almost ruined JvR's, then James got turned loose

Destroyed Bobrovsky's confidence and totally misused Zherdev.

Carter and Richards played better in front of Stevens too (maybe because the AHL ties), don't agree, compare there seasonal stats.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I want to laugh, but I know you're serious.

He's kidding...well I thought he was kidding...

Maybe they were better under Stevens, maybe, maybe not

Carter did hit 84 points, 40+ goals in 08-09.

Richards 07-08 - 75 points
Richards 08-09 - 80 points

Richards 09-10 - 62 points
Richards 10-11 - 66 points

Yeah its a different style under Lavy, but when your the face of the franchise and earning mega bucks, I want point production as well as defensive play.

....And if your going to flame my post, give me statistics or even an opinion why I'm so wrong.

Generalissimo

Eh, some of his match-ups and line combos didn't work, but he still wasn't the reason they lost.

Also, Julien is obviously going to look like a match-up mastermind after this one. He had more pieces to play with than Lavy, and Lavy's pieces played under that realization.

However, I will say that the ******* Leino-Versteeg-Hartnell powerplay combo he tried to use might be the worst line I've ever seen him put on the ice. I really like Lavy (great coach), but what the hell. Might have had something to do with healthy bodies on the bench, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->