NHL How local TV affects the NHL schedule

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
When the NHL is hashing out a schedule every spring they have to juggle many factions and the past few days shows the horse-trading involved.

Bruins fans are upset that the team played on Monday at home and then had to fly into Montreal and play a rested Habs team - but the reality is the Bruins requested playing the Pens on Monday instead of Sunday as originally planned by the NHL because the Patriots were on Sunday Night Football. NESN already knew NBC would take the game on Tuesday night blocking NESN but they were content with getting the Pens on Monday with no competition.

The Habs try to avoid playing on Wednesday as those games would then belong to Sportsnet/TVA instead of Bell Media's RDS/TSN.

RDS is arguably the best local telecast in the NHL and they are so popular in Quebec that the vast majority of Anglo fans watch the French feed instead of TSN.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Been hearing toronto cry about their schedule all month... i sure hope its not more than a tiny minority of bruin fans sinking to this level

All teams get some back to backs... all teams get long road trips... western teams play out of their timezone more...

Its reality and has been reality forever and will be reality forever more

Deal with it... the better team that plays better will still win more games. Blaming the schedule just creates an excuse for weak minded players to self defeat themselves

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I have no problem with a team playing on back-to-back nights, but it should be both teams doing it, not one and the one well rested.

Reactions: trenton1

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
When the NHL is hashing out a schedule every spring they have to juggle many factions and the past few days shows the horse-trading involved.

Bruins fans are upset that the team played on Monday at home and then had to fly into Montreal and play a rested Habs team - but the reality is the Bruins requested playing the Pens on Monday instead of Sunday as originally planned by the NHL because the Patriots were on Sunday Night Football. NESN already knew NBC would take the game on Tuesday night blocking NESN but they were content with getting the Pens on Monday with no competition.

The Habs try to avoid playing on Wednesday as those games would then belong to Sportsnet/TVA instead of Bell Media's RDS/TSN.

RDS is arguably the best local telecast in the NHL and they are so popular in Quebec that the vast majority of Anglo fans watch the French feed instead of TSN.
I hope you're wrong Fenway. In fact, I can't believe you're right! :laugh::laugh:
What I hate about RDS (and specially their PBP man, Pierre Houde) is their claim about being objective, but that's pure BS.
There lies the hypocrisy and the air of superiority surrounding this organization. They are so righteous. I bet most people calling 911 in 2011 were watching the RDS broadcast.
At least Jack Edwards admits being a fan.
RDS production might look more professional than TVA, but overall TVA is more honest in its coverage.
So yeah, Habs fans will prefer the "hidden and restrained" bias of RDS over TVA's lack of polish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad