How is Weili Zhang Fighting for a Title?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
She starched the champ in less than a minute and was on a 19 (now 20) fight win streak. That's enough for me.

A "champ" who never defended the belt and was getting dominated up until she got a fluke KO on a takedown to win the title. Sure she proved that she is a top girl in the division now but regardless of the outcome, the question was if she deserved the shot over someone else, and its still a valid question.

Based on her record in the UFC it would seem UFC was trying to generate interest from the Asain market by ranked her highly and picking this fight. Not that she earned a title shot on true merit.

Last edited:

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
Lol.

Really impressive performance by Zhang, just dusted Andrade.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I liked Zhang's chances but never expected her to do it like that. Her striking looked so good even though it was a very short fight. Andrade made it easier by carelessly moving forward to start the exchange but those elbows and knees were on point.

Jingliang was impressive in the co-main as well. That result actually surprised me more than Zhang winning in the main event.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
A "champ" who never defended the belt and was getting dominated up until she got a fluke KO on a takedown to win the title. Sure she proved that she is a top girl in the division now but regardless of the outcome, the question was if she deserved the shot over someone else, and its still a valid question.

Based on her record in the UFC it would seem UFC was trying to generate interest from the Asain market by ranked her highly and picking this fight. Not that she earned a title shot on true merit.

People gave you all sorts of legit reasons in this thread why this fight was made. She then crushed Andrade who had been on a roll and had looked amazing.

If you want to say she didn't completely deserve the title shot, that's fine. But discrediting Andrade's win vs Rose and then Zhang's win today is ridiculous.

Reactions: Zeppo and Avs_19

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
People gave you all sorts of legit reasons in this thread why this fight was made. She then crushed Andrade who had been on a roll and had looked amazing.

If you want to say she didn't completely deserve the title shot, that's fine. But discrediting Andrade's win vs Rose and then Zhang's win today is ridiculous.

Absolutely not discrediting Zhangs win. She clearly was the better fighter and imo will have higher chances of defending the title than Andrade. The only thing I'm criticizing is the UFCs ranking and fight selection to be based off of business decisions to grow the sport and not based on traditional rankings.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The one question I had about Zhang was her grappling, especially against a very strong opponent, and that's still unanswered. We should find out soon enough against Saurez.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Absolutely not discrediting Zhangs win. She clearly was the better fighter and imo will have higher chances of defending the title than Andrade. The only thing I'm criticizing is the UFCs ranking and fight selection to be based off of business decisions to grow the sport and not based on traditional rankings.

Business/marketing was a big part of it but as others have said, other contenders weren't available either. As for Waterson, the rumour is that they wanted Zhang vs. Waterson as the main event for this card with the winner possibly getting the next shot. Apparently Waterson turned down the fight because she thought she deserved a bigger fight or title shot, which upset the UFC (Dana) so they gave Zhang the title shot instead. At the press conference when he said, "no one wanted to fight Zhang", that appeared to be him throwing some shade at Waterson for turning down the fight.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
The strawweight division has opened up, I think Rose or Joanna could win a decision against Weili...I'm not sold on Tatiana Suarez yet though, she definitely has the wrestling but the striking and cardio to go 5 rounds is in question.

Wouldn't be surprised if they book Waterson next, maybe in China again since she is of Asian descent too.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Aw man, can't wait to see how this plays in China. Regardless of Zhang's title fight worthiness, I just think this could be huge for the sport. Yao Ming launched basketball into the stratosphere in China- a day doesn't go by that I don't see some kinda basketball jersey or NBA apparel out on the streets. Now it's MMA and a woman at that- like, that's just dope for the sport and the women of China. Hoping the impact is the same as it was when Yao brought bball to the masses, this could be really good for the business of MMA and could bring in a nation of 1.3 billion with a proud martial arts history- that's, uh, that's a really good thing.

Last edited:

Hertl

Fun Must Be Sometimes
Nov 15, 2010
Waterson's side already made it clear that she wouldn't fight outside of the US. Miss I'm Too Good to Fight In A Different Country can stay her butt at home. Being part Thai would do nothing for Chinese fans regardless.

She'd get rocked by Weili anyways. Anyone who has actually followed Weili up to this point in her career would not be betting against her.

Only idiots like Brendan Schaub would say "she'll get steamrolled by Andrade"

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Waterson's side already made it clear that she wouldn't fight outside of the US. Miss I'm Too Good to Fight In A Different Country can stay her butt at home. Being part Thai would do nothing for Chinese fans regardless.

She'd get rocked by Weili anyways. Anyone who has actually followed Weili up to this point in her career would not be betting against her.

It's not just the Chinese market, it's the Asian market though. Besides if Wterson wants to be next in line for a title shot she will fight where they ask her to fight or they will just simply pass her over. Regardless Dana just said in the post presser that Weili will fight in the U.S next anyways.

I do agree Waterson wouldn't stand a chance against her. I think JJ "could" win a decision though as she's good at fighting at range, she wouldn't stand in the pocket like Andrade.

Weili has the potential to go on a major run.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
The strawweight division has opened up, I think Rose or Joanna could win a decision against Weili...I'm not sold on Tatiana Suarez yet though, she definitely has the wrestling but the striking and cardio to go 5 rounds is in question.

Wouldn't be surprised if they book Waterson next, maybe in China again since she is of Asian descent too.
Some problems with your theory.

1. Waterson is booked to fight Joanna in October in Tampa.
2. Suarez is most likely getting the next title shot.
3. They won't be back in China for probably close to a year.
4. Dana said Weili's next fight will be in the USA.

Well, it worked out for Waterson. She got a main event fight, in the USA, against a much bigger name, and as good as Joanna is, she doesn't hit nearly as hard as Weili.

Couldn't believe Schaub's take on that fight. So obvious he had never see Weili fight. He phones it in quite a bit as a MMA commentator, but that one was bad. Picking Andrade is one thing, but steamrolling through Weili?

Business/marketing was a big part of it but as others have said, other contenders weren't available either. As for Waterson, the rumour is that they wanted Zhang vs. Waterson as the main event for this card with the winner possibly getting the next shot. Apparently Waterson turned down the fight because she thought she deserved a bigger fight or title shot, which upset the UFC (Dana) so they gave Zhang the title shot instead. At the press conference when he said, "no one wanted to fight Zhang", that appeared to be him throwing some shade at Waterson for turning down the fight.
Well, he must not be too upset. A main event against Joanna in the USA is way better than going to China to fight Weili.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Eh, if someone makes enough fight predictions there are going to be many times you end up looking stupid. This time it was Schaub, next time it will be someone else.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Eh, if someone makes enough fight predictions there are going to be many times you end up looking stupid. This time it was Schaub, next time it will be someone else.
True, but in this week's episode, he says, "I don't give a f*** about women's SW. I never heard of her. I never looked into her..." ...if that's not a direct quote, it's pretty close.

You pick a fight wrong? Cool. You pick a fight wrong that drastically? Fine, it happens. You pick a fight that wrong without any justification and then openly admit you didn't know anything about one of the fighters and it's kinda your job to kind of know these things? Come on....

Reactions: m9

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I don't think Joanna or Rose have anything for Weili tbh. I'll be interested to see how she handles Suarez, but I think she's good for it. She's been training grappling a lot and she's a physical freak (compliment).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->