How is Weili Zhang Fighting for a Title?

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Other than geographical location this bout makes no sense to me. She has fought in the UFC 3 times, only once against a top 15 ranked opponent and moved into 6th on the rankings. I know it's a weak division but with Suarez, Rose, Joanna, Ansaroff, and Gadelha ahead in line, I truly dont feel Zhang deserves to be ranked 6th and definetly dont think she deserves a title shot.

Do you think she deserves the shot? Or do you think her ranking and opportunity only exist because the UFC want to grow in Asia, where the fight is conveniently taking place.

member 51464

It's obviously to help drive interest and viewership.

The UFC long ago stopped giving a f*** about rankings being sensible and they've been devaluing titles as well with the constant interim belts that are inconsistently allowed to carry forth or not.

If the UFC doesn't care about the validity of title shots why should we?

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Location doesn't hurt but it doesn't seem that bad to me. I don't think Claudia deserves a shot based on her last few mediocre fights, Joanna and Anasarov are coming off losses, and Rose implied she might retire after she lost the belt so I'm not sure she'd even want the fight.

Reactions: m9

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Location doesn't hurt but it doesn't seem that bad to me. I don't think Claudia deserves a shot based on her last few mediocre fights, Joanna and Anasarov are coming off losses, and Rose implied she might retire after she lost the belt so I'm not sure she'd even want the fight.

Even Watterson, shes on a 3 fight win streak and they were all ranked opponents. Zhang is also on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC but only one was against a ranked fighter. Theres no way Zhang should be ranked above Watterson.

I guess it's a combination of a weak division, geographical location, and convenience. I just dont like how Felder couldn't fight Khabib because he wasnt ranked at the time but I feel he did more than Zhang has so far.

Reactions: m9

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Just timing more than anything. Suarez is hurt and the others don't make sense for various reasons.

The only one who IMO probably deserves it more is Waterson, but I actually like her fighting Joanna too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Even Watterson, shes on a 3 fight win streak and they were all ranked opponents. Zhang is also on a 3 fight win streak in the UFC but only one was against a ranked fighter. Theres no way Zhang should be ranked above Watterson.

I guess it's a combination of a weak division, geographical location, and convenience. I just dont like how Felder couldn't fight Khabib because he wasnt ranked at the time but I feel he did more than Zhang has so far.

You touched on the more important part here - the UFC rankings are a complete joke and need to be overhauled. If anyone looks into the process of who does them it's hilarious.

As for Felder, hard to really fault the UFC/commission since they had Iaquinta step in instead of Felder. If they just scrapped the fight instead that would have been more troubling.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com

to be fair, Watterson's last 3 wins are kinda in the same tier of fighters as Zhang's wins. Tecia Torres is more or less equal to Karolina (and at the time of her victory, I did value Torres a step above Karolina and arguably was a better fighter than Watterson), Casey is just barely above Aguilar, and Taylor was almost the same tier of fighter as Herrig (tho Herrig has more name value). Watterson ranks higher than Zhang for me, but only in 1 or 2 ranks. They both belong in the same tier IMO

Last edited:

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
to be fair, Watterson's last 3 wins are kinda in the same tier of fighters as Zhang's wins. Tecia Torres is more or less equal to Karolina (and at the time of her victory, I did value Torres a step above Karolina and arguably was a better fighter than Watterson), Casey is just barely above Aguilar, and Taylor was almost the same tier of fighter as Herrig (tho Herrig has more name value). Watterson ranks higher than Zhang for me, but only in 1 or 2 ranks. They both belong in the same tier IMO

I get where you're coming from but rankings are supposed to be legitimate and justifiable.

If an unranked fighter beats a ranked fighter they should at absolute most take the other fighters ranking, not leapfrog them by 5 spots. And regardless of talent level, if a fighter beats 3 ranked opponents they should be ranked higher than a fighter who had only beat 1 ranked opponent. That's just logical. The rankings dont take skill into consideration they should take rankings into consideration. Even if they're the same tier fighter and faced the same tier of opponents, the rankings have to have a purpose. Not arbitrarily choosing who is higher based on opinion or convenience. I think we can all conclude that the rankings are so messed up.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
WMMA in the UFC is a shit show, honestly. It's a revolving door, or else it's undeserving challengers.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I get where you're coming from but rankings are supposed to be legitimate and justifiable.

If an unranked fighter beats a ranked fighter they should at absolute most take the other fighters ranking, not leapfrog them by 5 spots. And regardless of talent level, if a fighter beats 3 ranked opponents they should be ranked higher than a fighter who had only beat 1 ranked opponent. That's just logical. The rankings dont take skill into consideration they should take rankings into consideration. Even if they're the same tier fighter and faced the same tier of opponents, the rankings have to have a purpose. Not arbitrarily choosing who is higher based on opinion or convenience. I think we can all conclude that the rankings are so messed up.

Tecia Torres was ranked 7th when Zhang beat her, she is a few spots lower now because she lost that fight and then another fight after. After Zhang beat Torres she moved up to #7 and then Torres fell back to #8.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Timing and location. I don't think Zhang deserves the shot yet, but at the same time, I think she's legit.

The thing that grinds my gears is Dana's smug, condescending response to a reporter who asked if Waterson was in consideration for the next title shot by saying, "What? Waterson? No way. She's ranked way too low." And then a short time later they announce Zhang, who's ranked 1 spot higher, will be fighting for the title.

TerminatorBlue

Nov 11, 2007
Canada
Zhang Weili was the only one available...

Rose was offered the fight but wasn't ready
Tatiana Suarez hurt her neck
Nina Ansaroff just lost
Jedrzejczyk is taking time off not going to fight until the fall
Claudia Gadelha already had a fight lined up with Markos

Dana says here...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think Zhang is going to win. That said the credibility of the titles and challengers took hits a long time ago. Rankings don't mean much.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Timing and location. I don't think Zhang deserves the shot yet, but at the same time, I think she's legit.

The thing that grinds my gears is Dana's smug, condescending response to a reporter who asked if Waterson was in consideration for the next title shot by saying, "What? Waterson? No way. She's ranked way too low." And then a short time later they announce Zhang, who's ranked 1 spot higher, will be fighting for the title.

Waterson has proved more and done more for the organization. She just doesn't really push the needle into any new markets. Dana contradicts himself all the time, I just dont get the 3 UFC fights with 1 against a ranked opponent = Title fight.

Zhang Weili was the only one available...

Rose was offered the fight but wasn't ready
Tatiana Suarez hurt her neck
Nina Ansaroff just lost
Jedrzejczyk is taking time off not going to fight until the fall
Claudia Gadelha already had a fight lined up with Markos

Dana says here...

See above. Zhang is ranked around 10 in my opinion. Someone like Waterson is more deserving to me.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Zhang may not be the most deserving of a title shot but she's a legit challenger and I could see her winning. It should be an interesting fight if it stays standing because I think Zhang might be a better technical striker. However, Andrade is probably the strongest fighter in the division (or maybe Saurez) and I have no idea how Zhang's takedown defense is.

Reactions: Kurtz and m9

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think Zhang is going to win. That said the credibility of the titles and challengers took hits a long time ago. Rankings don't mean much.

Yeah, I think Bisping flattening Rockhold was where this became evident.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Rankings mean something but the UFC also has to book fights. As explained above there are legit reasons why the top 5 aren't taking this fight vs Andrade.

Yeah, maybe Waterson deserves it slightly over Zhang but it's really not a big deal either way.

member 51464

So, about that....
Being able to win a fight and deserving a fight are not the same thing. This thread was about the latter ;)

Also, it sucks to wake up and realize you missed an entire card, haha. At least the upcoming Khabib fight is in the afternoon.

Reactions: Taytro

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Being able to win a fight and deserving a fight are not the same thing. This thread was about the latter ;)

Also, it sucks to wake up and realize you missed an entire card, haha. At least the upcoming Khabib fight is in the afternoon.

She starched the champ in less than a minute and was on a 19 (now 20) fight win streak. That's enough for me.

Reactions: member 51464

member 51464

Women's strawweight has been odd for a couple of years now. Joanna Champion looked totally outclassed by Rose. Rose looked like she broke her neck against Andrade, and Andrade just got overwhelmed by Zhang, lol. Will Zhang be the first two beat two different people as champ since Joanna's reign ended 2+ years ago?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad