How is Tyler kennedy doing?

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
Pens Fan here checking up on Tyler Kennedy

How is he doing for the sharks? I see he has 2 goals and 4 assists but has he been good defensively, and is he still hitting the chest pad of the goalie on a frequent basis?

Hopefully he didn't scare the kids with his mug on halloween :)

BreakfastatMarios

Feb 5, 2013
Pittsburgh
I was hoping he could find his game out west.

Good enough person, just was always a shoot first, second, third type of person.

Thanks for response, was about what I expected.

OffSydes

#tank2014/5
Aug 14, 2011
He hasn't been terrible.. He was brought in as a 3rd liner that could play in the top 6 when injuries happened.. And due to tons of Sharks injuries he he has been in the top 6 but should be back where he "belongs" on the 3rd line soon.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
The first 10 or 11 games he was very good. He does a ton of little things on the ice that help whatever line he's on maintain possession. He was skating on a line that was taking on top comp and while I'm sure everyone, including him, would like his point totals to be a bit higher he did what the Sharks brought him in to do.

The last 4 games some warts are showing, he's taken a couple of needless penalties (which I didn't think was an issue in the past) and he's turned the puck over but all in all he's been pretty much what I was expecting and looking at his entire 15 games worth of play I've been happy with him.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I personally think he has been pretty good. He forechecks well, has good speed, plays a good possession game, and is defensively responsible. The only ownside is the poor angle shots which diminish possession and a couple of bad penalties.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I think 'meh' is a pretty apt description here. He's not good, not bad, just kind of there.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Basically exactly what I expected. Definitely useful even if all he does is keep Mike Brown out of the lineup.

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
TK has actually exceeded my expectations. I thought he would be a 4th liner plug and an average 3rd liner. I love that he can fill in a top 6 role as needed. I actually think he played/plays a big role on the PM/Couture line in helping them to keep possession, as he is fast and isn't afraid to bang bodies.

I may get flamed for this but I actually prefer him on Couture's line than Havlat. I don't really know where Havlat fits best though, and I'm really not big on him, so I admit my bias. I heard that line (PM/Cooch/Glassman) did pretty good against Buf though (which I couldn't see), so I dunno.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
disappointing? meh?

Am I watching the same games?

Kennedy is noticeable, plays hard and makes good plays. Generates positive puck movement. Last few games have been rough but last night he brought it.

I think he complements the Couture line better than the Thornton line though.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
TK has actually exceeded my expectations. I thought he would be a 4th liner plug and an average 3rd liner. I love that he can fill in a top 6 role as needed. I actually think he played/plays a big role on the PM/Couture line in helping them to keep possession, as he is fast and isn't afraid to bang bodies.

I may get flamed for this but I actually prefer him on Couture's line than Havlat. I don't really know where Havlat fits best though, and I'm really not big on him, so I admit my bias. I heard that line (PM/Cooch/Glassman) did pretty good against Buf though (which I couldn't see), so I dunno.

Havlat has been excellent since his return. He was probably the best player on the ice last night and one of the few who seemed ready to play.

People seriously hate on the guy, but when Havlat has the puck it is almost always going in the right direction. He's defensively reliable, a difference maker offensively... My only issue with the guy is his inability to stay healthy, beyond that he's great.

I said TK is meh because while his work ethic isn't questionable, he is one of those players who seems prone to massive brain farts and has a poor hockey IQ. He's fast and tenacious to make up for it, but frankly the guy just constantly makes poor decisions. Where to place the puck, constantly trying to go through defenders instead of making the smart play, constantly taking super low percentage shots just before anyone can get to the net... etc. He's fine, but I see a quality 3rd line winger, that's it.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
I've been very impressed with Kennedy so far. He was definitely better at the beginning of the season, but he's still playing pretty well for us. I'd say he was one of our best forwards last night against Buffalo.

He does make some bad decisions every once in a while, including dumping in the puck before he reaches center ice, resulting in an icing call. He's done that a couple times. But overall he moves the puck well and gets a lot of shots on goal. Plus he's had a little grit in his game lately, including a fight last night.

I'm surprised so many of you guys are disappointed in his play. He's been better than I thought he'd be, and he looks like an ideal second/third line tweener. He's essentially what we all hoped Galiardi would be when he got here.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Havlat has been excellent since his return. He was probably the best player on the ice last night and one of the few who seemed ready to play.

People seriously hate on the guy, but when Havlat has the puck it is almost always going in the right direction. He's defensively reliable, a difference maker offensively... My only issue with the guy is his inability to stay healthy, beyond that he's great.

I said TK is meh because while his work ethic isn't questionable, he is one of those players who seems prone to massive brain farts and has a poor hockey IQ. He's fast and tenacious to make up for it, but frankly the guy just constantly makes poor decisions. Where to place the puck, constantly trying to go through defenders instead of making the smart play, constantly taking super low percentage shots just before anyone can get to the net... etc. He's fine, but I see a quality 3rd line winger, that's it.
One of the shot quality issues is net drive. Like the goal he got against Buffalo. Going straight to the net more often would make him look a lot better. I agree on the decision stuff as well for a critique. I don't mind the shot frequency so much as the shot locations. I definitely think Havlat is a better fit for the Couture line and that TK has no business on the JT line.

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
He's been fine.

It's actually refreshing to see a Shark look to shoot as much as he does. He's like the anti-Thornton.

Agreed. We have enough pass-first guys on this team already, so it's nice having a guy like Kennedy who fires it from everywhere. As for him "killing the play" with his shooting, I haven't noticed it any more than when Thornton or whoever stickhandles for too long and/or passes it to no one and causes a turnover.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I like him enough. He's done what was advertised and so far it fits with how this team wants to play, fast and shoot the puck.

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
I've been very impressed with Kennedy so far. He was definitely better at the beginning of the season, but he's still playing pretty well for us. I'd say he was one of our best forwards last night against Buffalo.

He does make some bad decisions every once in a while, including dumping in the puck before he reaches center ice, resulting in an icing call. He's done that a couple times. But overall he moves the puck well and gets a lot of shots on goal. Plus he's had a little grit in his game lately, including a fight last night.

I'm surprised so many of you guys are disappointed in his play. He's been better than I thought he'd be, and he looks like an ideal second/third line tweener. He's essentially what we all hoped Galiardi would be when he got here.

Agreed.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
Brings alot more energy the Galiardi did, it was great to see him fight yesterday. Like Pen's fans said, he's not much of a finisher, which is a frustrating trait that keeps cycling with this whole chain(Mcginn, Gali)

He looked great on Pav's line, Pavs seems to make tweener players play like true top 6 forwards.
Havlat on his game is an astronomically better choice then TK on Couture's line.Nice to have as a depth player but once everyone is healthy he is the one outside looking in on the top 9 imo. But he's hardly played himself off.

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
I think he's been doing good aside from a few bad penalties and turnovers. He's a hard-worker and fast and I liked him before he got to San Jose.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->