How is the Summit Series viewed in Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Is it no big deal...just another Russia vs. Canada game?

Is it seen as a dissapointment that they lost?

Is it seen with pride, because they proved all the doubters wrong about European hockey?

Yureeka47*

I was born in the USSR, but I immigrated to Canada when i was only 4.

What I collected from my parents about hockey and the summit series was basically that it was never one of the biggest sports there. Soccer always seemed to be more popular. The popularity of hockey in the USSR could be compared to the popularity of football in Canada roughly. The summit series were not considered a big deal or a disappointment, since they won the majority of olympic medals in that time period. Quite frankly, no one cared, except for the more dedicated hockey fans (def. not the majority of the country). Obviously, people that were raised in that time period and lived there can correct me if im wrong.

I answer that question with a question of my own... Why was it always considered such a big deal here?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Yureeka47 said:
I answer that question with a question of my own... Why was it always considered such a big deal here?

Because it was the first time the two best hockey nations in the world played a best-on-best tournament I believe. Also, the cold wat had a lot to do with it as well

joe_shannon_1983*

I have heard that many Russians claim they won the Summit Series, due to the fact that they scored more goals than they let in.

Apparently, many Russians think that the reason the Summit Series was 8 games, not 7 game, was because the series was never meant to be decided by wins and losses, but rather it was to be decided by goals for and goals against.

All of this are just things I have heard from a few Russians on message boards over the last couple of years, so take what I say with a grain of salt as I am only going off of what I have heard a few Russians say.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
ferns8916 said:
I have heard that many Russians claim they won the Summit Series, due to the fact that they scored more goals than they let in.

Apparently, many Russians think that the reason the Summit Series was 8 games, not 7 game, was because the series was never meant to be decided by wins and losses, but rather it was to be decided by goals for and goals against.

All of this are just things I have heard from a few Russians on message boards over the last couple of years, so take what I say with a grain of salt as I am only going off of what I have heard a few Russians say.

I believe the GF and GA was even. Thats why if Henderson didn't score that GWG, then the Russians would've claimed victory since they would've scored one more goal then Canada at the time

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
albertGQ said:
I believe the GF and GA was even. Thats why if Henderson didn't score that GWG, then the Russians would've claimed victory since they would've scored one more goal then Canada at the time
Here's the scores:
USSR 7 - Canada 3
Canada 4 - USSR 1
Canada 4 - USSR 4
USSR 5 - Canada 3
USSR 5 - Canada 4
Canada 3 - USSR 2
Canada 4 - USSR 4
Canada 6 - USSR 5

Total goals: Canada 31, USSR 33

So the Russians DID win! :amazed: Conspiracy!

Seriously, whoever heard of an 8-game total goals series? If that was the case, why didn't they keep a running total as the series went on?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Yureeka47 said:

Because hockey ruled here then, just as it does now.

Also, there had never been a tournament of that kind before. The Olympics was for amateurs (or supposedly so), many of the best players in the world were not involved.

There were many political overtones as well, East vs West, Capitalism vs Communism.

This tournament spawned the Canada Cup, now the World Cup so it was important event in hockey history.

Den

Aug 9, 2005
Stockholm
www.recdir.com
Well, it is kind of well-known, but nothing like in Canada. First of all, soccer really rules and overshadows hockey. Second, it was a loss, thus never really trumpeted about. Like the Challange Cup in Canada, or the 74 series. Nobody would ever go as far as calling it the "most important sports and cultural" event of the century. Probably want even make first 20.

Many feel that that was a freakish loss, blamed on an unexperienced coach. Was Tarasov at helm, he would never allow the players to relax and loose concentration as many of them did in Moscow. The Clark on Kharlamov incident is also cited, but few really think that that was the reason behind the loss. And of course, nobody doubts that the Soviet team was superior to Canada even despite the loss. The "Canadian spirit" is not considered to be a factor, as it is believed that the 72 well-trained Soviet team should be beating the slow Canadians even under the spirit thing.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I read once in Paul Henderson's book that he and teammates Ron Ellis knew some Russians over in Russia (or something like that) and after the series I guess they had contacted them over there and their Russian friends offered condolences on the Canadians losing over in Russia. It just showed you how much the Russian government controlled the media. They needed victory that badly. Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism. If not they'd still be brainwashed over there.

Its just too bad that Orr couldnt play. Imagine him skating with the Russians. I dont think anyone would have ever heard of Henderson if he had played. Why? Well for one Canada wouldnt have needed an eighth game we probably would have own the series 6-2. Henderson would be just another Leaf alumni.

KariyaIsGod*

It was 8 games because neither country would ever allow the other to play more games on their own soil. It had to be 8 or I guess six, simply to be fair in terms of homefield advantage.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism. If not they'd still be brainwashed over there.
Some have said that the Russian people had a hand in changing their government, in spite of what Fox News tells you.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism.

Not to get political but...Ronald Reagan certainly deserves major credit...But so too do the seven other US Presidents - Republican and Democrat - that presided over this nation during the period of Soviet communism. From Truman on down. None of them budged, none of them gave in and, at the same time, all managed to avoid a nuclear confrontation.

Pop news-reporting today tends to like to simplify and dumb down history. And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.

It's simply not factual history.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Trottier said:
And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.
I was going to be nice and not point out the irony of saying that Reagan single-handedly defeated communism and then mentioning brain-washing in the same post.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
How?

With a black market DVD, bottles of vodka, Anna Kournikova, and a toque (for protection).

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Steveorama said:
I was going to be nice and not point out the irony of saying that Reagan single-handedly defeated communism and then mentioning brain-washing in the same post.

HAHAHAHAHA :biglaugh: Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney. The big ``empty`` so to speak (If we`re referring to the uniformisation of the western culture). You tear down a regime and replace it with a more culturally repressive one, those were the good days.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Trottier said:
Not to get political but...Ronald Reagan certainly deserves major credit...But so too do the seven other US Presidents - Republican and Democrat - that presided over this nation during the period of Soviet communism. From Truman on down. None of them budged, none of them gave in and, at the same time, all managed to avoid a nuclear confrontation.

Pop news-reporting today tends to like to simplify and dumb down history. And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.

Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term. Hey if it wasnt for JFK the US would have been "missiled" to death in '63.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Big Phil said:
Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term.

IMO Reagan deserves the most credit because he was the first that actually scared the hell out of the Russians. A much more itchy trigger finger if you know what I mean.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Big Phil said:
Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term. Hey if it wasnt for JFK the US would have been "missiled" to death in '63.
If it wasn't for JFK being weak in the first place Russia never would have had the guts to put the missiles there.

chooch*

Fish on The Sand said:
If it wasn't for JFK being weak in the first place Russia never would have had the guts to put the missiles there.

I'd check out jfkmontreal.com before talking. :propeller

Last edited by a moderator:

Yureeka47*

WOW, im really offended by the blatant ignorance in this thread. Reagan did NOTHING to cause the fall of communism. Nor did any other US president. Give me a break. Stop believing everything you were meant to hear. Talk about brainwashing in the USSR :biglaugh:

The USSR fell from the inside out. The Russians did not fear Reagan or his itchy finger. Give me an effin break. Wow.

GORBACHEV WAS THE REASON THE USSR FELL APART. GET A CLUE. The reasons were ALL internal.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
Actually, I was the cause of the fall of the USSR. I didn't really like the setup any longer so I decided to make a change.
Simple as that. :teach:

KariyaIsGod*

Yureeka47 said:
WOW, im really offended by the blatant ignorance in this thread. Reagan did NOTHING to cause the fall of communism. Nor did any other US president. Give me a break. Stop believing everything you were meant to hear. Talk about brainwashing in the USSR :biglaugh:

The USSR fell from the inside out. The Russians did not fear Reagan or his itchy finger. Give me an effin break. Wow.

GORBACHEV WAS THE REASON THE USSR FELL APART. GET A CLUE. The reasons were ALL internal.

This is true. It was Gorbatchev...

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Well Gorbachev isn`t very well like in Russia, I mean there were years of total misery that followed the fall of communism, hell, they're still recovering in some regions or so I hear. But on the other hand, those saying Regan and co. were the factors in the dissolving of the USSR, well time to give up your weekly subscriptions to Newsweek.

Last edited:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The USSR was in a slow decline ever since Stalin died. The country collapsed from within (stagnation, poor leadership, etc. etc.). Reagan and co. may have sped up the process, but they weren't the cause of it. The USSR was going to eventually collapse regardless of who was President.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->