How is Julius Honka?

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Playing EA NHL some years ago, I recreated the Hartford Whalers in the GM mode and can recall acquiring Julius Honka who had an Elite potential. He stalled in his development but nevertheless became a cheap 80 overall mainstay on my team as a bottom pairing defenseman.

Honka hasn’t really crossed my mind since, until today when my hometown Luleå HF announced that they have signed him for the next two seasons.

My first reaction was that I’m stoked. Luleå loses a great defenseman in Nils Lundkvist to the NHL next season so we needed good news on defense and Honka was a recognizable name as a formerly high touted talent.

My next reaction was to mellow my expectations.

Obviously, he was a high draft pick (DAL #14, 2014) and I guess most fans of the Dallas Stars would be disappointed with his development: before starting this thread I did search the boards for the most recent ones and found mostly whining from fans.
Honka spent time in Finland with the Pelicans this season and JYP the previous one, so I’d like to hear from Finnish fans with more recent impressions about his performance — how is he?

I’ve gathered that Honka’s skating is a strength and that he’s got some nice skills, but also that he’s been a defensive liability according to Dallas fans. How did he look playing in Liiga? And is his younger brother better?

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->