How is Erik Nystrom/Komisarek doing?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Heat McManus, Dec 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heat McManus

Heat McManus Registered User

I heard his numbers last year plummeted due to a sorry work ethic. Apparently he thought that once you're drafted you're assured a spot in the NHL or something, any truth to this?

Hows he doing? What about Komisarek?

Always good to see LI guys make it.

2. Inertiatic

Inertiatic Registered User

Komisarek is progressing very well. He bounced back from a terrible game against Florida (the entire team was bad) to have his best game as a Hab against Tampa. He's protecting the goalie, which I like. Seems to make very good first passes, at times to crisp for our Dmen to handle. He's gonna be a stud.

3. icarus

icarus Registered User

Home Page:
    I believe Nystrom had two goals and an assist in his last game. I wouldn't worry about him too much.

4. AJ1982

AJ1982 Registered User

Home Page:
    I would, I believe he is a serious case of over performing in his draft year. I thought he was overrated then and I think he is overrated now by some. Time will tell if he can have a successful NHL career, as more than a grinder, checker.

5. icarus

icarus Registered User

Home Page:
    He's a safe bet to make the NHL. He'll be a checker at the least, but his upside could see him as a top-two line forward. But apart from Phaneuf, he's the closest thing in the Flame organisation to being a sure bet to make the NHL. He was a 'safe' pick on draft day, and as such is expected to be a longtime NHLer. So far, I wouldn't worry.

6. mgoblue523

mgoblue523 Registered User

Home Page:
    i agree with you AJ1982. i've watched nystrom since he first put on the UM sweater, and he's not that much of an impact player. he's an excellent penalty killer, but i don't think that that's the type of player that calgary intended to draft. i have yet to see any killer offensive instincts from him, and he refuses to use the body, and get in front of the net for some "garbage" type goals (which, with his size, he can do). he doesn't seem to handle having to be a "go to" guy, on UM's team this year, when they desperately need someone to step-it-up. he was drafted too high, IMO, so now he's going to have to deal with the high expectations that come from being selected in the top ten. if i were you, i wouldn't expect too much outta him...

7. Twisted Wrister

Twisted Wrister Registered User

Home Page:
    Nystrom was drafted way too high at #10 overall. I think he has NHL potential, but unless he seriously elevates his game, I think his best upside is as a third line checker who scores occasionally, with some added value as a "character" guy.

mgoblue523 has described the problems with his game pretty well.

8. Kugel

Kugel Registered User

i agree , he will make it to the NHL but i think only as a 3rd liner. i saw him play a few times and he doesnt dominate or anything at the college level. he is a great skater and has a good shot and hands and a good pedigree but i think he is one of those guys who just cant put it all together, maybe he is scared or something. he was drafted was too high, shoulda went in the 2nd or proably 3rd round. i think he got drafted cause of his name. i think people put oo much on names just like robert nilson (overrated). i also heard that nystrom is a head case.

9. Funkymoses

Funkymoses Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't think that's the case at all... but I have to concur that the guy was drafted too high. It's funny because he shot up draft boards real late in the process, after all the games were played. He was regarded as a late first but somehow something changed and he just kept getting projected higher and higher.

He's a good player and will play in the NHL, but #10 overall, no.

10. SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79 Registered User

Calgary factored in genetics, too. After all, his dad won what, four Stanley Cups? But then again, that was his dad :)

As said, he was drafted way too high for a grinder. He has come up with some clutch goals the past few years, but consistent scoring and domination like you'd expect from someone drafted 10th overall is lacking.

11. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager

Well, I think you hit on the reasons Nystrom was drafted so high: genetics, good "character" and leadership qualities, penchant for "clutch" scoring, and a decent two-way game. Was he drafted too high? I guess it's all relative. Look at a guy like Kastitsyn. Drafted what, 10th overall by Montreal, and he despite all of his offensive talent was considered a stretch by some. It's really based on team need/desire at the time of drafting, and in a particular draft year.

12. Phanuthier*

Phanuthier* Guest

Nystrom was drafted knowing full well he would probably be a character forward. Even if he becomes a power forward with 20 goals, he could be huge (ala Deadmarsh).

I didn't like the pick at first, but I'm really starting to get sold on Nystrom... McConnell on the other hand...

13. SpaceGhost79

SpaceGhost79 Registered User

True... it also wasn't a very deep draft, either. Any other year Nystrom probably wouldn't have gone that high. But I do believe that being drafted so high went to his head some. I recall reading an article or interview somewhere online earlier this year that said he figured after being drafted so high things would come easier. Guess he found that one out the hard way.

14. Funkymoses

Funkymoses Registered User

Home Page:
    He does have an uncanny knack for important goals. Two years running he's been a playoff stalwart and he scored the winner in a then 0-0 tie vs. MSU with a buck something on the clock a couple weeks ago. He's got ability but he doesn't jump out at you like Comrie/Cammalleri/Tambellini/Komisarek.

15. kruezer

kruezer Registered User

I still don't really know about Nystrom, I'd say he's a little overrated. Boy McConnell really blows this year, at least he have 1+1=2 last game, maybe he'll turn it around again.

16. SneakerPimp82

SneakerPimp82 Registered User

OK, please don't compare Kastitsyn to Ronaldo, he's nowhere near as good in his respective sport, and probably never will be.

17. Omniscient Gadfly

Omniscient Gadfly Registered User

Home Page:
    living in calgary, i can maybe provide some perspective as conveyed through the media at the time nystrom was drafted...

it is my understanding that the flames weren't quite sure what they were acquiring in nystrom, but were confident that he would fill one of two roles as determined by his development; these being:
    *upside:gritty/scoring 2nd liner, profiecient along the boards and down low
    *downside: character 3rd liner, able to contribute both offensively and defensively, with strong leadership capabilities

given the flames' history of poor showings in the 1st round (morris the exception), the thinking was that nystrom would be a safe pick - a legitimate NHLer and an important piece to the youth/building program.

when the selection was made, the media & organisation both worked the nystrom mystique, sort of insinuating to fans that he would help shape the character of the team in the future. it was my feeling that fans were divided on the selection; many citing semin, higgins, and eminger as potential misses.

18. Oilers Chick

Oilers Chick Registered User

Home Page:
    Now THERE's the understatement of the year. I'm still waiting for McConnell to bust out, but it hasn't happened yet, and I'm not really counting on it either.

I guess I was expecting to see more out of Nystrom and have been disappointed with him as well. But if we're talking about Flames prospects who might turnout to be a terrific draft pick, I'd say check out Greg Moore. He didn't do all that much at the WJC (at least of what I saw), but I've gotta tell ya that he had an awesome year last season and he hasn't lost a step this season thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.