How important would beating Gretzky's 1,963 assists be to Crosby's all-time ranking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Gretzky had 1,963 career assists. #1 all time.

Ron Francis had 1,249 career assists. #2 all time.

Crosby has 777 assists at age 32. If he plays 7 more seasons (including this year) averaging 170 assists, he would be at 1,967 . If he plays more/less seasons, obviously the numbers adjust, and it becomes more/less realistic.

When his career is over - at least 3 cups + 2 smythes and all those other trophies....and whatever other award/trophy/cup he wins between now and the time he retires is. One of the greatest careers of all-time for sure, and no matter who you ask his career is already good enough for #5 all-time. Everyone will have their own opinion i'm sure.

My question is - if he has all of that and 1,950 career assists vs if he has all of that and 1,964 career assists, that being the only difference - does it affect his all-time ranking?

Why, or why not? How significant should the record be?

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
That still doesn't make him crack the top 5. Not cracking the top 5 isn't an insult.

Reactions: Realgud

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Well, at his point he'll never be considered better than Gretzky.

If he had done all that, he'd likely have done it with better team mates than 99 so he's still not better.

The only scenario where Crosby is the best is one where everyone else ahead of him was never born.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
It's not happening so it's pointless. Even reaching Francis is going to be tough. Not even convinced he will pass Thornton, depending on how long Thornton plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->